Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pioneer sat nav fitted today

frenchie

frenchie

Vehicle
Just browsing
A little new toy to play with. Today I had a pioneer sat nav dab radio fitted into the van. Not that many years back I would of just pulled the old radio out and pushed the new one in. But with todays motors and their canbus systems it takes all types of wires and connections to make it all work. The result of 2 hours work is sat nav with car play, dab radio etc that can also run a mini hard drive placed in the glove box. And shows the heated seat controls etc. How good the sat nav is I have yet to find out, but using all the iphone apps available linked to the head unit should work out find. Time will tale.F

This is something I’m looking at doing.

Which pioneer model did you go with and approximately how much if you don’t mind sharing?

Hi.I had the pioneer avic_f88 dab fitted along with the correct rear view camera which gives you parking lines. I also had a lot more usb ports put into the van and a newer dash cam hard wired in. Came to £1040. Just completed a 500 drive with the unit, and one thing I do like is it gives you lots of advanced notice by voice of turn offs etc. Car play is easy to use but I did find that on my little test the Google map would not recalculate if you went off route. The pioneer maps are good. The head unit is single din like the original unit. So far a good bit of kit. F

The head unit is single din like the original unit.
Really? I thought all t5 and t6 units were double din (at least at the front, even if there is little behind)

hi, so did I, but when it came out of the dash its single with a double din screen, first I have seen. F

hi, so did I, but when it came out of the dash its single with a double din screen, first I have seen. F

I think it's hallmarks of the commercial vehicle behind, the cheaper (certainly older) T5s came with a single DIN radio with a storage place below...

Maybe. I know when I removed a single din radio from a fiat ducato to fit a new radio the double din area had been split into two sections. Its all just cost cutting. F