Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Nicky Hayden

He will be missed, he was a great guy, all the danger of racing a motorcycle and then he dies training on a bicycle, a big loss to his family and the sport.

So many being killed, whilst cycling these days, as the explosion in popularity of cycling continues. It's very sad indeed, I can't understand the aggression some drivers show for cyclists, and complete disregard for their safety/vulnerability. I'm sure these drivers lives are severely impacted, following such an incident also.... Filled with regret having contributed to a death, and I'm sure the trauma for being at the scene will haunt them for the rest of their lives also. Unfortunately, I don't think this is what some of these car/van/truck drivers are thinking when they are driving along enraged, because they have to slow down for a short period, and wait for a safe place to overtake etc.

There was also a German pro triathlete killed by a truck driver in the same area of Italy this week. :Depressed. Reports say that the truck was overtaking her and didn't give enough space and she was caught by the rear wheels.

Don't knew him or follow the motorbike racing , but very sad thing to happen indeed .
Sadly happens to often...
Awkward that some take high risks in theire daily life like motorracers , carpilots ,...come to die in a stupid everyday roadaccident on a bike .
Like M. Schumacher living as a vetgetable caused by a skiaccident .
Roadcycling is very dangerous now a days , i do a 18km up and 18km back trip to my work on a E-bike every day and chances i am involved in a accident are high .
Been hit once by a car crossing the street on a legal bikepath where cars should stop at a give away sign. They simply don't .

Not been that much in Italy but i would never ride a bike in France for fun ....all those small roads with no bikepath...

Nicky was a true 'southern gent', well liked and respected. He will be much missed by everybody that knew him and followed the sport of Motorcycle racing.

Don't knew him or follow the motorbike racing , but very sad thing to happen indeed .
Sadly happens to often...
Awkward that some take high risks in theire daily life like motorracers , carpilots ,...come to die in a stupid everyday roadaccident on a bike .
Like M. Schumacher living as a vetgetable caused by a skiaccident .
Roadcycling is very dangerous now a days , i do a 18km up and 18km back trip to my work on a E-bike every day and chances i am involved in a accident are high .
Been hit once by a car crossing the street on a legal bikepath where cars should stop at a give away sign. They simply don't .

Not been that much in Italy but i would never ride a bike in France for fun ....all those small roads with no bikepath...
France is the only Country that I ride on any road. Never even had a close call there. In UK main road riding is pretty frightening especially when an HGV grazes your elbow as it passes. Car drivers generally seem to think that the closer to the cyclist the better when overtaking.
Much of the problem I believe is that with the advent of car safety items, ABS, seat belts, air bags etc, car drivers are so isolated from the outside world that they forget that cyclists etc. have little protection from injury however small.
Of course many cyclists are far from fault free.

Back