Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Night Heater Operation ?

No the electrode just glows it doesn’t spark. This is a diesel unit, right?

I can’t recall what the sequence is for a failed start? Sounds like you’re getting there though. Could well be a fuel issue inside the unit. Easy enough to take off the van and open up.

No the electrode just glows it doesn’t spark. This is a diesel unit, right?

I can’t recall what the sequence is for a failed start? Sounds like you’re getting there though. Could well be a fuel issue inside the unit. Easy enough to take off the van and open up.

No, it's a petrol unit. :D
Electrode has a "heating" part and a part that looks exactly like a spark plug. Either way, if it turns out good I'll pull out the heater unit.
One question though: is the fuel supposed to drip or spur from out the fuel hose? Pump SOUNDS good, put could be that it's not putting enough pressure on fuel inlet...?

It’s a kind of pulsed spurt. You can hear the ticking, this is the pump pulsing.
There are videos on utube of people testing them. Basically if you put it on the bench and connect a fuel supply then touch the power lead to a battery on and off you can mimic the control signal.

It’s a kind of pulsed spurt. You can hear the ticking, this is the pump pulsing.
There are videos on utube of people testing them. Basically if you put it on the bench and connect a fuel supply then touch the power lead to a battery on and off you can mimic the control signal.
Then it should be good. Glow/spark plug heats up but no ignition, no connection from cap-end to electrode so I figure it's bad. Getting a replacement is a struggle though since they are not continued!!

This is the one: https://www.vwbusshop.de/epages/Gue...=/Shops/GuenzlClassicParts/Products/255000004

IT IS ALIVE!
So long story short.. Busshop didn't have the GH30 glow plug since it was discontinued long time ago.. Went to the local heater experts (webasco & eberspächer) sadly to come up short here as well. Got hold of Beru (manufactor of the glow plugs) and found that the GH18 might be ably to replace the GH30.
Today I received a new GH18 plug and the heater just fired up this evening!!

The smell inside the cabinet though.. :confused: But what to expect when the damn thing hasn't been fired up the past 10-12 years.. ;)
When all comes down I'm pretty pleased it succeeded with just some resoldering, rinsing of connections and a new plug!!

Winter is coming - and we are ready! :thumb

Result. Good to hear that persistence prevailed. Happy ‘winter’ camping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been happy days on/off for more than a year now but... From time to time it's really rough to get going and it will just shut off with random intervals (could be 5 mins, 20 mins, several hours...) with out any suspicion to overheating (no red light). So we're back at it.. ;)
Wanted to try using the test-cable method as described in the manual, but I really can't wrap my head around how to.. It's to be plugged in pin 8 or 10 - and then??

Thanks!!!

Back