Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Noise from steering at low speed

S

SW4LAD

VIP Member
Over the past few weeks we have noticed a sort of whurring/rumbling noise from the wheel area when we turn at low speed ( under 10mph) it only seems to happen on the near side.

Any ideas?

I it is a graunching type of noise then it could be a top mount bearing which is on top of the suspension struts.

cheers

Thanks Alex, that is probably a better way to describe it! Is it a big job to repair

About three hours work to do both sides as front suspension has to be completely removed and stripped. It is not a safety or MOT issue either.

cheers

We have this, slow speed, only when turning left!!

Our dealer diagnosed it as the infamous steering issue and added us to the vw warranty list!

What is this warranty list pls?

Is vw finally working on a proper solution to the steering issue ?

3h labour makes me shudder at vw prices.

There is a knocking noise that can come from the steering column that is being looked into, this is not the same as the top mounts which the OP seems to be describing which make a graunching/bearing running dry noise.

cheers

We also have a noise from the steering at slow speed, it is more of a creeking noise, it does it when you move the steering wheel at standstill or at slow speed up to 10mph.

It would be interesting to know if the calis with this fault are driven every day or just used as holiday type vehicles.
Drive mine every day & (touch wood) I do not have this problem.

Andy said:
It would be interesting to know if the calis with this fault are driven every day or just used as holiday type vehicles.
Drive mine every day & (touch wood) I do not have this problem.

Hi Andy, we have a 2010 which is a daily driver, we have clocked up 38k miles.

Just came from my mechanic because of the same problem.

He lubricated the top mount seal of the suspension and indeed it got much better.

Solution?

Ha says it´s best to paraffin below, including under the fender, next to the suspension mount.

I had this same problem in my golf V....

This sounds remarkably like a longstanding issue with my 07 Cali - spookily noise has been there for the last few services but no one could tell me what it was until last week... I can get it fixed now! The Cali is used daily when I'm not away with work but then sits forlorn for long periods!

Would it also result in the inner 30mm of the tread on the NS tyre wearing heavily? In for new tyres and tracking this weekend but may be this issue causing the problem?

Try to unlock the steering wheel and move it up/down, forward/backward several times. It did help in my case,
Andrzej

Back