Noisy flaps.....

2into1

2into1

Née T4WFA. Now running 2006 LHD T5 SE 130 Manual
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
2006 T5 Cali with the Comfortline dash in the LHD versions.

I’m getting lots of shuffling / rearranging noises from behind the central part of the dash....the type of noise you get for a very brief period when you press the recirculate option......only it seems to continue for ages (minutes) without pressing any buttons.

Any ideas what could be the cause / cure? Thanks.

Is this when you turn it off? I get it peiodically and think it is all the flaps doing a preventitive-type diagnostic cycling. My previous Audi and BMW also used to cycle all the flaps to demist on switch off so if they got stuck or motors failed, at least the screen would clear on start up.They both had full climate control and similar era to yours. Either that or a cog has sheared and it is trying to open or close something and failing. Do you have vcds/carista to see if it showing a fault? If you press the manual circulation buttons to say face only, does it redistribute the airflow correctly and without lots of extended shuffling noise?

Thanks @Drpps. There are some good thoughts there. It’s not just when switching off....most is during running.
My mate has the latest diagnostics and I’m due over there for some other jobs so will see if that shows anything....I hadn’t thought of the diagnostics revealing some clues (I’m old school.....nuts and bolts)!

Good luck. The other thing that can set it off is using the front windscreen washer jets, more frequent at this time of year with the salt on the roads. It puts it into recirculation mode briefly and can involve some whirring.

Back