Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Not a new idea but has anyone tried one of these?

Popular in the 4x4 scene.

As said, very popular in the 4x4 scene and out here in Australia. Seen many on my travels.

We had one before our Cali . Sleeping with 4 persons, oldest kid was 13. We had great holidays with the rooftop tent.

2007-08-07_07-25-32.jpeg

Had one on my old Landrover, was great, comfortable (mattress like you have on the top bed in the Cali) and quick to put up/down. You're basically in a tent though, but then you're not on the ground, so warmer and not the hassle of a tent...
They're not cheap though - mine was an import from South Africa back then. Was the toy of all toys for the 4x4 trips, only topped by having your Landy converted into one of these:

ultimate camper.jpg

Had one on a Volvo ....used in north Sweden, main reason that we bought a California.... getting out of the tent and away when swarmed over by millions of mosquitos was a severe lesson on why it might be good to be in not above the vehicle!!!

Not going to work well with a lift up tailgate (as it'll close off the living space when raised) ? For Barn Door van conversions they look like a great idea. Only ever really seen them on Land Rovers before.

Had an Eezi-Awn on my Land Rover 110, and slept in it for more than 18 months. Was fine, comfortable enough and cool in hot climes (open both ends fully), but it's a very basic system.

Good build quality though, and canvas never got stuck in the mechanism!

Had one on my defender, great bit of kit at the time. But would be a lot harder to enjoy now. My camping days are long past.F

Back