Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Not such a Good Friday!

zennorboy

zennorboy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi folks...hope you are all having a pleasant Easter.

Thought I'd get on with the 'five minute job' of fitting my new super bright reversing light bulbs. Offside seems to be no problem, but I can't get at the rear of the near side cluster as there's a gas bottle cupboard in the way. Having removed the gas bottle (obviously) and the two visible 13 mm bolts, and the two cross head screws, in my nativity, I thought it would sort of slide out, but nothing wants to move.

I've searched our T4 technical forum, but can't find any info.

Am I the first person to ever need to change a rear bulb on T4 California or just the first one to miss the obvious way of doing it...the latter probably!

Happy Easter.

Zennorboy

Blimey. Glutton for punishment. I'm just loading ours up ready for a trip to Amsterdam. So thought I'd take a look for you. Basically you don't need to remove anything. Open your wardrobe, remove the metal plate that gives you access to the fresh water drain tap and Bobs your uncle - you have access to the back of the light cluster.

I my youth I have rebuilt flat four bus engines and restored split screen and bay window buses...now it's just all slipping away, I can't even determine the obvious without help!

Thanks mrcheesbrough...have a safe and pleasant trip. I'll just go out put those bolts a screws back now and have a look in the wardrobe!

Thanks @zennorboy. Like you I've had a hand in rebuilding and repairing many things VW and unless you can keep your eye in the skills slip away. Still it's all in there somewhere.

Bare in mind the plate in the bottom of the wardrobe can be a bit of a puzzle in itself when you want extract it completely. It does come though, with a special twist that is indescribable. Once that's out of the way you got a fairly long 'blind' reach to the back of the lamp.

Good luck and happy reversing.

Thanks @zennorboy. Like you I've had a hand in rebuilding and repairing many things VW and unless you can keep your eye in the skills slip away. Still it's all in there somewhere.

Bare in mind the plate in the bottom of the wardrobe can be a bit of a puzzle in itself when you want extract it completely. It does come though, with a special twist that is indescribable. Once that's out of the way you got a fairly long 'blind' reach to the back of the lamp.

Good luck and happy reversing.
Glad it's not just me then!!

Once spent hours trying to imitate a contortionist trying to. Hangs a headlamp bulb on a Volvo. Eventually decided it would only be possible if I had double jointed wrists. So took it down to the local garage who slid out a retaining pin, removed the entire headlamp assembly and handed it to me. Duh........

Back