Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Not using the Cali on the snow.

sebking

sebking

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Have plugged it in to keep batteries on check. Have put the Polo in the garage, thought that the low resistance tyres on a Bluemotion would be pants in the snow. Spitfire too cold with no roof. So have dragged the 109 v8 landy out for snow fun and what a laugh. Some real great looks from people too!

Nice to have a little v8 Landy sitting about waiting for it to snow ... Lol .. Cool

sebking said:
Have plugged it in to keep batteries on check. Have put the Polo in the garage, thought that the low resistance tyres on a Bluemotion would be pants in the snow. Spitfire too cold with no roof. So have dragged the 109 v8 landy out for snow fun and what a laugh. Some real great looks from people too!

:bananadance lucky. I miss my 4x4 in this weather. The Cali is staying put safe n sound on the drive.

sebking said:

Stage 1 V8.... Fantastic.

Just watched a large 4x4 Range Rover put its breaks on and skid all the way down a track and almost take out an entire family.

Then a VW estate with Front wheel drive try and get up a very snowy hill cause chaos and then had to reverse over half a mile.

Its a mental day and people need a little respect for the conditions, and their own vehicles capabilities.

It's amazing watching people "drive" in this weather. No lights, too fast, too close. Means you have to be super careful not just with conditions but to allow for eejits.

Oh and any 4x4 is going to slip and slide if its driven badly!

to be totally honest with everyone ,as my cali is not a daily driver there's not a hell's chance she's coming off the drive while the white stuff is about ( even if i had 4motion and snow tyres) she stay's shivering on the drive ..... :lol:

I'd rather use my motorbike than risk some plonker crashing into the van!

Californiaman said:
I'd rather use my motorbike than risk some plonker crashing into the van!

i hear you califorinaman ......not letting any idiot with or without 4x4 get anywhere near my cali sliding all over the place ..they are all bad enough in the dry let alone snow and ice :laugh2

Just took the dog out and the only car's I saw we're 4x4's it's almost if they have to go and try them in the snow :laugh2 :laugh2

Calikev said:
Just took the dog out and the only car's I saw we're 4x4's it's almost if they have to go and try them in the snow :laugh2 :laugh2

you have hit the nail on the head kev.......they have to warrant having them some how :bananadance

It's the only slippery surface most of them will see :laugh2 :laugh2 funny how when you see vehicles stuck in the floods they are nearly always 4x4's :laugh2 :laugh2

Some of us have no choice, my Cali is my daily drive & I have to go to work tomorrow.
Main roads & bus routes around here were gritted & were all clear yesterday, don't know about today apart from our road which is covered in white !
Going to a site in High Wycombe tomorrow, it is down a fairly steep hill private road so promises to be interesting !

A 4x4 with summer road biased tyres is just daft as is an 80/20 bias with no diff lock! Sadly whether it is a 4x4 or not the lack of sense and skill is what causes folks to look stupid (or get killed) when the whether is poor, not the fact they are in a 4x4.

A fair group of really great 4x4 drivers can be found at 4x4 Response, these are the guys that give up their time in weather like this to ferry nurses etc, help ambulance crews and deliver meals on wheels. A lot of these guys have this type of vehicle as they live in the middle of no where!

Part of the reason for taking the landy out locally is that if some muppet hits it they are likely to come of quite a lot worse (it's also fun in the snow, can't deny that!)

Tried to take the old girl out in the snow, but after loading up with bikes and supplies, she wouldn't start :(

Think it is the fuel pump again, but too cold to take the front off and take a look. So went out for a snowball fight* with the missus instead.

dan
*could also be called a walk, but was mostly a snowball fight :evil:

Hi All
My new brand Cali 4x4 is stuck in the snow and my present 09 one is covered in snow outside the house . I have a little Jimny that I use to get around, great little motor. I am certainly not going to risk a pile up with the Cali. Oh I forgot to say The new 4x4 Cali is also stuck in the compound/snow at the dealers until the new Reg: in Marchhttp://www.vwcaliforniaclub.com/forum/posting.php?mode=reply&f=5&t=3214#

I'm using our Jimny today (OK, Liz's Jimny...) and I've just test driven a Dacia Duster. Which I am considering along with a few other cars as a replacement for my MX5 (which was a bad choice for my commute.. but one which had to be done at some point!). The Duster is like a grown up Jimny which is a bit better finished off, much nicer to drive and has decent economy (50mpg ish). All for around 16k for the 'top of the range' 4x4 model.

Had one been available soon, I reckon I'd have done it but the waiting list at the moment makes one available around May...

Now that three Cali owners that I know have Jimnys as their second/third car.

california180 said:
SimplyDubs said:
You'd best make that four :thumb

Given there's not THAT many Cali's or THAT many Jimny's..there's obviously something about them.. stunning

SimplyDubs said:
california180 said:
SimplyDubs said:
You'd best make that four :thumb

Given there's not THAT many Cali's or THAT many Jimny's..there's obviously something about them.. stunning

As I had never heard of a Jimny before I just had to google it.... looks like fun especially in these conditions...

At one time ourselves, my mum, my inlaws and grandparents in law had a Jimny.

Brilliant little cars and ace off road!!

Might get another in fact but 4Motion is quite good but I do worry about the pricey Cali.

Back