Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Snow chains vs snow tyres question

Quality tyres.
ATS are owned by Michelin and often have the best prices for their tyres. You’ll pay £668 with them at the moment, and you’ll get a free Lego Bugatti model thrown in as well. Worth a look.
We drive down to the Alps 2 or 3 times a year in the Cali, and have done for a number of years as the kids have grown up. You’ll be fine with those tyres backed up by a pair of chains (not socks). The trip down and back is part of the fun, beats flying hands down. Lots of ways of getting down there depending on how much time you've got but if you are travelling at a busy time, ie. half term, then I would recommend getting as far down as you can before the Saturday. There are some great places to stay en route and I would recommend a night out in Annecy with the kids, or alternatively Chambery is a really easy stop over. PM me if you want some tips.
Thanks. Most of it booked now. We were too late to get a package we wanted but scrabbled to book the apartment which was still available. Hence driving. I then booked tunnel and just about everything I could think of in 24hrs. We are stopping on the outskirts of Dijon both ways. It feels like a long drive with the kids but we will make it fun. I suspect it can be finessed in future years if the kids take to skiing!

I haven’t skied in ten years.

Thanks. Most of it booked now. We were too late to get a package we wanted but scrabbled to book the apartment which was still available. Hence driving. I then booked tunnel and just about everything I could think of in 24hrs. We are stopping on the outskirts of Dijon both ways. It feels like a long drive with the kids but we will make it fun. I suspect it can be finessed in future years if the kids take to skiing!

Don't forget travel insurance, breakdown cover!

Already ordered the Agilas on Black Circles, ta. They were pricey but probably worth it. 215/65 16”.

Only had 2 sets of tyres in 16 years and 60,000 miles so hopefully will get another 8 yrs for my £720 (fitted)!
please keep us posted with how you find these tyres on your travels :)

I had a 25 year break from skiing. My boys did snowboard lessons at the snow dome in Milton Keynes. After their course, I went in as well. First run from the top, big snowplough all the way. By the 3rd run, parallel turns. Like riding a bike, it all comes back, just take your time. You should be able to find the beginners slopes to get your confidence back before the black runs!

Have fun, I'm jealous. I've traded my skiing for 2 cockapoo's and lots of walking.

It's worth bearing in mind that the minimum recommended depth for winter tyres is 4 - 4.5 mm so unless you change your all season tyres at that depth they will become less effective in snow as they wear.

I still run Michelin all seasons on my Cali most of the year until the snow comes, then fit my Nokian full winter tyres.

Living in Scotland and enjoying skiing here does make that worthwhile for me.

As for chains, always carry them in winter but rarely need to fit them.

It's worth bearing in mind that the minimum recommended depth for winter tyres is 4 - 4.5 mm so unless you change your all season tyres at that depth they will become less effective in snow as they wear.

I still run Michelin all seasons on my Cali most of the year until the snow comes, then fit my Nokian full winter tyres.

Living in Scotland and enjoying skiing here does make that worthwhile for me.

As for chains, always carry them in winter but rarely need to fit them.
Tbh after 8 years they usually have lots of tread. Very light use and about 30,000 French motorway miles in that time. I just had to replace my rear brakes for the first time on a 2008 Cali. Front brakes still 2008!
The reason I have to swap them at 8 years is the sidewalls are cracked after sitting still 9 months x 8yrs.

The manual for our van says front only. Makes sense to me as on a 4Motion the rears aren't driving all the time.
Why does that make sense? I would read the manual and check with people who know and can give independent advice (RAC/AA) rather than muddle through opinions expressed on a forum. I’d also check what the laws are in the country where winter tyres are mandated (Finland, Norway, Germany,…)

Tbh after 8 years they usually have lots of tread. Very light use and about 30,000 French motorway miles in that time. I just had to replace my rear brakes for the first time on a 2008 Cali. Front brakes still 2008!
The reason I have to swap them at 8 years is the sidewalls are cracked after sitting still 9 months x 8yrs.
My mileage is quite a bit more, 133K I miles in almost 10 years.

Just a question as I'm having difficulties seeing the tree through the woods. (if that's correct in English? :) )
What type of snow chains are ok for a T6.1 with 4 motion and 235/55-17" wheels? (and preferably ok for Austria as they have quite strict regulations?)
I have all season/winter tires, but if I need to buy chains anyway, I want to make sure at least they'll fit and don't damage the wheels.
Any recommendations?
Yes, expensive but have a look at Spikes-Spider, easier to fit than conventional chains, you fit a basic adapter to your wheel nuts, so when you’re up a snowy mountain pass in the dark you’re not trying to reach around the back of a wheel arch to join up cable ends that are clogged with ice, and better. https://spikes-spider.com/
Used by the Swiss military apparently….so not too shabby.
I have two pairs for my 2007 4motion, they worked v well for me.
For snow / winter tyres, I’ve used Michelin Pilot Alpin P4 235/55 R17, again, very good.
It’s not just that a winter tyre stays softer in the cold, the magic bit is the hundreds of “sipes” on a winter tyre….the very tiny grooves that increase grip in the wet and critically on ice too.

Thanks you Lambeth Cali for this thread - where are you heading by the way?

I am in a very similar position as you. We are also driving to the Alps, arriving the Saturday after Good Friday and taking our young children on their first ski holiday. I am even thinking of stopping around Dijon! :)

Researching tyres/chains/socks was on my to do list and so the advice on this thread has been very helpful to read. Our van has done 20k miles and has the tyres that it came new with - Bridgestone Weather Control A005 235/55 R17 with the three peaks symbol. I am assuming that these all season tyres are broadly comparable to the Cross Climates(!?).

On the basis that we will drive to the alps annually and all the rest of our driving will be UK (and France in the summer), then my conclusion is to:
- Check I have at least 4.5m of tread left - which I am assuming I will.
- Stick with the tyres I have.
- Back up with snow chains.

I’d really appreciate it if anyone feels like the above logic (or lack of) is flawed!

And also does anyone have any pointed on where to identify suitable snow chains please. I am assuming the I need to find some that both 1) fit the tyre; and 2) provide suitable clearance for the type of vehicle?

Winter tyres usually have two wear bar depth indicator, 1.6mm and 3.0 mm, you might have to hunt around to find the 3 mm bar. Not sure if all seasons have the same.

Just a very basic question. Having watched a video comparing snow chains, snow socks, various rubbish cheap alternatives and snow tyres, I have some pretty decent Thule snow chains arriving today. I just have Continental VanContact tyres.

But my question is, if you buy snow tyres, do you need to buy 4? Will front 2 suffice?

The reason I ask is, obviously, chains etcetera come in pairs and just go on the front.
Hi I live in Switzerland and have a T5 cali 2w drive… snow tyres are a definite must and will get you out of 99% of situations… I’ve used chains once in 40 years in Switzerland!!! They are a good safety. measure to have « in case »… but winter tyres are a must have on all 4 wheels. Insurance companies are heavy on vehicles in a accident that don’t have the appropriate tyres…although not obligatory here you will save yourself a lot of problems and worry…have a good time…

I am in a very similar position as you. We are also driving to the Alps, arriving the Saturday after Good Friday and taking our young children on their first ski holiday. I am even thinking of stopping around Dijon! :)

Researching tyres/chains/socks was on my to do list and so the advice on this thread has been very helpful to read. Our van has done 20k miles and has the tyres that it came new with - Bridgestone Weather Control A005 235/55 R17 with the three peaks symbol. I am assuming that these all season tyres are broadly comparable to the Cross Climates(!?).

On the basis that we will drive to the alps annually and all the rest of our driving will be UK (and France in the summer), then my conclusion is to:

I’d really appreciate it if anyone feels like the above logic (or lack of) is flawed!

And also does anyone have any pointed on where to identify suitable snow chains please. I am assuming the I need to find some that both 1) fit the tyre; and 2) provide suitable clearance for the type of vehicle?

Personally, I would back up with a snowsock, hopefully you’ll never need it.
As mentioned above, Feggers has fitted chains once in 40 years. Therefore tyres are key to avoiding having to fit chains.
They’re, a massive pain to fit in poor conditions. So much so, I wouldn’t bother driving if it was me.
Roads in the Alps are cleared quickly. Chains, are for an absolute emergency…

Yes, almost identical situation. The question is will you be going again? I hope so but am not sure. The cost is astronomical and my kids might not love skiing.

The fact my tyres probably needed replacing helped.

I think your tyres are ok. Do they have the mountain symbol on them?

I got these chains as they seem easy to put on and the website allows you to type in your exact tyre size. I have smaller 16” wheels so you might need to check clearance.

Last edited:
Having trawled the internet looking for tyres and not being completely clear what is a winter tyre and what is a 3/4 season tyre, I am still thinking of going with summer tyres and snow chains. Not ideal so will keep on looking/dithering.

Part of the issue is that my VanContact tyres are due for replacement anyway - not due to wear but due to the fact they are 8 yrs old. I suppose that is pushing me towards a Cross Climate-style all seasons tyre.
Guarantee that if you go on summer tyres you'll have some of the THE MOST butt clenching moments of your entire life. I wouldn't risk it.
April 2023
IMG_1852.jpeg

April 2022 (autoroute):
IMG_1451.jpeg

Back