Number Plate Surrounds

BerndRos

BerndRos

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Received my surrounds.

My plates have a lip on the bottom advertising the dealer I bought the van from and because of this won't fit into the surrounds. Anyone else had this issue ?

Is it possible to cut it off without the plate shattering or did you get new plates..?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Number Plate Surrounds

I bought some nice metal pressed plates :thumb

I see

Yep I guess the nicer the better !

Halfords ?

Kevin.....

And they were fine off eBay.....quality ok ?

I bet Halfords would be expensive

Yes good quality mine have been on for over a year no problems :thumb

I used always put on pressed plates but there is a lot of info on the web to say they are not "street" legal whatever the people making them say, it appears to be to do with the reflectivity of what they are made from

HY09UMU said:
I used always put on pressed plates but there is a lot of info on the web to say they are not "street" legal whatever the people making them say, it appears to be to do with the reflectivity of what they are made from

Mine passed its MOT with them and I even bought it to their attention

Just ordered mine.......

With all the 'add ons' I have made my Cali is now very individual........

BerndRos said:
Just ordered mine.......

With all the 'add ons' I have made my Cali is now very individual........
Pictures please

Will do when it next gets released from my office basement garage.........

That's 3 weeks today on the Plymouth Roscoff ferry for....Le Mans....week

:cool :thumb you are our best customer :thumb

Thanks Kevin ......

The Cali really looks re born after it's 15 month vagrant trip....in 11/12.....

I remove dealer advertising from cars

BerndRos said:
Received my surrounds.

My plates have a lip on the bottom advertising the dealer I bought the van from and because of this won't fit into the surrounds. Anyone else had this issue ?

Is it possible to cut it off without the plate shattering or did you get new plates..?

Thanks

Interesting - just experiencing the same issue. Ive put on local plates here in Kosovo but will swap to UK plates in certain countries. My new UK plates also have the lip on and I plan to have a go at removing these with a stanley knife.

gatvol said:
I remove dealer advertising from cars

Depends on where it's from - I'll keep the "Ocean" plates (with Euro signs on) on the BM but I MUST get rid of the Cali ones - not only are they Preston plates, they also have phone numbers on them which aren't local. How to look like a tourist… :lol: I also want Euro plates as it saves getting a silly sticker when abroad.

dayslikethis said:
Interesting - just experiencing the same issue. Ive put on local plates here in Kosovo but will swap to UK plates in certain countries.

Can you do that and still be covered by insurance? I had to to tell DVLA when I exported mine.

You can check the status here (vehicle enquiry) https://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/app/home/intro

Before mine showed up as being exported. I've just had an argument with DVLA over the road tax refund and now it shows as unlicensed! Not to worry I have an letter confirming it has been exported. Just waiting for the fine to land on the door mat now. :headbang

Andy

Yes I had to tell DVLA when exported and as its a new vehicle I had a special £55 road tax issued. No doubt I'll be hit by the full initial tax on my eventual return to UK. As for insurance well that's another story. I have a UK dealer who covers me 365 on my UK plates in most EU countries but NOT Kosovo. Therefore I have purchased full insurance again in Kosovo. Expensive but its a valuable vehicle and the whole thinking here was to enjoy the Balkans to its full advantage during my time here.

I believe you should get away with the VAT if outside UK for 12 months. I just paid about £3k on importing my Beach to NZ because I had it more that 3 months. The UK price I paid (VAT free) minus 27.5% depreciation x 15% GST. Luckily I had a note from the dealer stating the beach is taxed as a car in UK otherwise I would have paid another 10% motorhome tax (vehicles designed for habitation with sink, cooker, fridge and toilet).

Andy

BerndRos said:
Received my surrounds.

Thanks

I cut mine off around 10 mnths ago and so far no probs as I don't like doing free advertising for the seller...
Clamp them one a time onto a workmate use a felt pen to mark for your cut,then just use a good fine sharp saw, after file the edges off gently and take your time is all I can say

Opening up an old thread here… about to order some pressed mental plates and surrounds to go with them. My current ones aren’t screwed on, they’re stuck on. How are you guys attaching your surrounds? Are you drilling holes yourselves or sticking them on? Thanks

Those pressed metal ones look nice... I got a set of standard acrylic ones from Halfords when I changed to a cherished plate, and although they cost more than some of the online companies you know they meet the BS standard for MOT etc. The Halfords logo is also tiny and white so you can't see it.

But if I was changing again those metal ones would be my choice assuming they are MOT compliant.
All number plates, as you say will have the maker details and BS number on them. Any that don't will be sold as 'Show Plates Only' which are illegal for road use.
EBAY suppliers (in the main) comply with the legal rules and many will NOT supply illegal show ones or move the letters/numbers to form a name.
Point being don't assume EBAY is an always an illegal source.

Only concern that I'd have with a metal one on the tailgate was potential for chaffing to expose bare metal and corrosion to set in.
Old enough to remember when all number plates were metal and had to deal with this issue on a few cars. Usually resolved by a rubber washer/spacer behind the plate

I see Halfords have now decided that pressed metal plates are not legal & have stopped supplying them. I think that may be due to the latest version of the regs coming into force ie British Standard BS AU 145e, in lieu of 145d

Back