Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Number Plate Surrounds

Received my surrounds.

My plates have a lip on the bottom advertising the dealer I bought the van from and because of this won't fit into the surrounds. Anyone else had this issue ?

Is it possible to cut it off without the plate shattering or did you get new plates..?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To trim them just use a router, on a table preferably.

Re: Number Plate Surrounds

I will second that, the embossed plates combined with the surrounds look really good, I have had loads of comments on them as they look very much like German plates but are 100% legal

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRESSED-METAL ... 4ad49b8dd1
Evening.. I have ordered some pressed plates and surrounds having had them on my T25. Can I ask…. Have you stuck your surround on screwed them on???? My plastic standard plates are stuck on. Hoping they will pull off ok!

Evening.. I have ordered some pressed plates and surrounds having had them on my T25. Can I ask…. Have you stuck your surround on screwed them on???? My plastic standard plates are stuck on. Hoping they will pull off ok!
I would use fishing line or Dental floss to cut through the double-sided foam tape they use to stick the plates on as you could crack the plate trying to pull it off.

I would use fishing line or Dental floss to cut through the double-sided foam tape they use to stick the plates on as you could crack the plate trying to pull it off.
Thanks… great tip .
I assume I’m not going to find any screw holes under there. Any tips on what to clean the old glue/pads off with?!

Thanks… great tip .
I assume I’m not going to find any screw holes under there. Any tips on what to clean the old glue/pads off with?!
Yes there are two screw holes on the tailgate that should line up with a multi holed plate holder. (depending on the type of holder) - if the front bumber has not already been drilled you have an option to either fit a couple of screws corresponding to the holder or stick the holder on with strong automotive double sided tape (3M do loads)

IPA (isopropyl Alcohol) will soften the existing glue residue left on the panels, try heating the plate first with a hair dryer / heat gun before attempting removal, if the fishing line method does not work try a wide trim tool to gently pry the plate off making sure not to use too much force (panel damage )

Yes there are two screw holes on the tailgate that should line up with a multi holed plate holder. (depending on the type of holder) - if the front bumber has not already been drilled you have an option to either fit a couple of screws corresponding to the holder or stick the holder on with strong automotive double sided tape (3M do loads)

IPA (isopropyl Alcohol) will soften the existing glue residue left on the panels, try heating the plate first with a hair dryer / heat gun before attempting removal, if the fishing line method does not work try a wide trim tool to gently pry the plate off making sure not to use too much force (panel damage )
Thank you. Pre-existing screw holes would be ideal. Removing these current plates sounds like the trickiest part of it. Floss and a hairdryer it is. Will Google the trim tool! I shall Twitter back for others how I get on!

Trim tool

C6B4C623-18A2-4BBD-8F35-409B4BEEF22C.jpeg
New plate surround

existing fixing holes in tailgate

7A8C0644-6E59-478D-9AE4-3D645E768D3C.jpeg

stick Pad instal for reference so you know what your pulling off (there may be more than three strips maybe less !

different types of frame

fitting new frame and plate to front

Last edited:
I'd forgotten that UK plates are plastic and stuck on!

Here we have pressed metal and they fit into these frames. You can swap the plates between two cars, but are only allowed one set so you can only drive one car at a time. You buy frames to facilitate the ease of switch-over.
Another interesting point is that the plate does not belong to you, or the car. The plate is administered by the Kanton (county) and only if you have insurance. So you don't get a plate without insurance, and therefore would get stopped pretty quickly with no plates. Of course, plates might be faked, but it almost never happens. You usually take the plate with you throughout your changes in car or insurance company, as long as you don't officially move Kanton in which case you get new plates to match where you live.

I'd forgotten that UK plates are plastic and stuck on!

Here we have pressed metal and they fit into these frames. You can swap the plates between two cars, but are only allowed one set so you can only drive one car at a time. You buy frames to facilitate the ease of switch-over.
Another interesting point is that the plate does not belong to you, or the car. The plate is administered by the Kanton (county) and only if you have insurance. So you don't get a plate without insurance, and therefore would get stopped pretty quickly with no plates. Of course, plates might be faked, but it almost never happens. You usually take the plate with you throughout your changes in car or insurance company, as long as you don't officially move Kanton in which case you get new plates to match where you live.
Wow a very different system, but with automatic number plate recognition the police know whether U.K. vehicles are taxed and insured, so you’d get stopped pretty quickly

For anyone reading this looking at number plate surrounds, make sure a key is included with the surround you order. A key has previously been included with mine, but not this time when I’ve bought them from Awesome GTI. Very frustrating, but my error - didn’t see the little ticky box

Back