Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Number Two's

Not sure what the fuss is about. For when not on site we have a trowel (metal, not one of those pathetic plastic things) capable of digging a hole in most ground - dig, turd, turf and you're done. Was nobody on here a scout or Woodcraft Folk?

Dyb, Dyb, Dyb......
Caravan Club get a bit grumpy when you don't get the turf level though!

Surely this has to be a personal choice. We have had our van nearly 4 years. We bought a Dometic toilet which was awful, the top tank leaked when you pumped and pressured it. Then bought a Thetford porta potty. My wife made a cover for it so it’s not an in your face shitter. We go away for 3 weeks at a time and sometimes the wash rooms are a fair way and at our advanced years it comes in very handy. What I hate to see especially from the people who don’t have one, in lay-bys and pic nic areas people just crap on the ground wipe their backside and just leave it there. Don’t tell me you have never seen this because we see it at least 4-5 times each trip. Also handy in the middle of the night when it’s lashing down with rain.

If you have a port potti and don't use it , it's a big waste of space ..
Using facilities at campsite and parking areas etc.. of course. But if necessary the porta potti is there to be used.
No smell whatever when closed, easy to empty..
When hiking we have a stainless steel mini folding shovel in our backpack:upload_2018-11-10_15-59-38.png

If you have a port potti and don't use it , it's a big waste of space ..
Using facilities at campsite and parking areas etc.. of course. But if necessary the porta potti is there to be used.
No smell whatever when closed, easy to empty..
When hiking we have a stainless steel mini folding shovel in our backpack:View attachment 39471
A Porta Poti that is rarely used is just a waste of space. Smell is no indicator of an infection risk I’m afraid.
There are other, biologically safe, methods that take up a lot less room.

It's a loo so I use it. If I need to go, I need to go. Using the right chemicals in the right quantities there's no smell, and by the time I get home after a few days away there are no solids either, even the loo roll which I do put in the potti (why would you put anywhere else?) has dissolved.
I do draw the line at keeping it in the kitchen cupboard though - mine just lives in the living space with a blanket over it.
I suppose we're all illogical in our own ways!

What’s with all this fear of poo? It’s inside you for long enough before it comes out for God’s sake!

I have a bog in a bag...and a Gerber shovel...ready for all number of things...
As yet all unused....easier to stay on a site!

I love the shovel though...and it comes in a bag...win win!

Last edited:
Why do people worry so much about using a toilet... It’s something we do everyday...Normally you are in the van with someone you are either married to or know quite well.. I’ve heard that even the Queen goes to the toilet...If you don’t like the idea of a portapotty don’t buy one and just go at the side of the road where a thousand other people have been before you... Then walk in it and bring it back into the van on your shoes.. What sounds best now?