Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ocean 6 v Ocean 6.1

• Thread starter JimmyJamJerusalem
  • Start date
J

JimmyJamJerusalem

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi guys, first post apologies if already covered - did a basic search but everything is new to me currently so a bit clueless...

Anyway....

My partner and me are looking to get ourselves an Ocean. I'd love to get a 6.1 but budget wise it may be that we end up with a late 6. In an effort to understand what I'll miss out on with the 6 could I please get an idea of what the main differences are so we can make a good decision please?

I'd really like adaptive cruise, I love the idea of the electric pop top, the touchscreen controller in the 6.1 for the roof, heaters etc is a nice touch, 4motion with diff lock appeals.... Any info appreciated :)

Honestly the Touch screen camper controller is the only big thing that you will miss. If you get DCC you can adjust more settings in the infotainment. Matrix LED which honestly I have in my car and I keep it switched off as it causes oncoming people to blink me.

T6 has a better dash with soft touch, available Dynaudio sound system, ACC, traffic sign recognition, still has LED headlights. Additionally you can tune the ECU on them for more power, but the T6.1 204ps is still locked.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

We’ve had a 6 and currently have a 6.1, yes the 6.1 dash and control panel looks more ‘modern’ but I thought the 6 dash was more ‘camper’ practical re cubbyholes etc. the old world control panel on the 6.0 was less technical but in my opinion more stable (the 6.1 panel can be a bit moody and do its own thing every now and again!) I may be imagining it, but I thought the front seats on the 6.0 were more comfortable over longer trips than the current versions. The 6.1 wardrobe and rear cubbyhole doors are better than the tambour sliding doors.

Vehicle wise I had the T6 180 DSG and now the 204 DSG can’t say I noticed much difference in the drive happy with either.

Cool, ok thanks for the info, all good stuff.

So the touchscreen camper controller in the ceiling is a nice feature but does it have any configuration that the T6 controller doesn't have?

Adaptive cruise is available in T6 also? I thought that was a T6.1 only feature

The T6.1 bed you can tilt the back panel up so you can watch a movie kinda sat up, is that a function the T6 bed can do also?

The 6.1 control panel does nothing that the 6 can't do apart from spirit level. The 6.1 has the 'lounge' feature yes. But practically it means moving all your luggage to use it. It is handier for accessing stuff under the shelf. T6 can have acc yes if your that desperate for that particular feature. 6.1 has no foot rest when you engage that acc by the way. T6 does. I have a t6 and don't consider the 6.1 good enough to ' upgrade'

you can prop the bed up for tv with some stays that you have to fit from the boot door but we have never ever used them, the tambour doors can be a faff but if you spray the runners with silicone polish they work much better, the dash on the t6 comes in two variants i beleive so you want the comfort dash which has the doors on the cubby holes so nothing flys about, the control panel has the knob which can be broken by accident getting up and down from the bed or by headbutting it when getting in the van, that was me by the way, the later t6 has a split worktop so you can cook and have workspace over the sink which again i believe was brought in on the 2018 model. no leaks in my pop top yet, and loads and loads of customisations available for the t6 like headlights and such. Easy to work on appart from engine work which can be a bit fiddly but sying that mine has behaved itself and not needed any major work........yet. Most of the stuff on the t6 is the same as the 6.1 apart from the electro mechanical steering and the cupboard doors oh and the foli springs on the upstairs bed as the t6 has slats which can be changed for frolis by squarego in germany.

There is also a great video on YouTube comparing the T6 to the T6.1. I have a 2019;T6 and love it. No plans to change to a T6.1 yet

you can prop the bed up for tv with some stays that you have to fit from the boot door but we have never ever used them, the tambour doors can be a faff but if you spray the runners with silicone polish they work much better, the dash on the t6 comes in two variants i beleive so you want the comfort dash which has the doors on the cubby holes so nothing flys about, the control panel has the knob which can be broken by accident getting up and down from the bed or by headbutting it when getting in the van, that was me by the way, the later t6 has a split worktop so you can cook and have workspace over the sink which again i believe was brought in on the 2018 model. no leaks in my pop top yet, and loads and loads of customisations available for the t6 like headlights and such. Easy to work on appart from engine work which can be a bit fiddly but sying that mine has behaved itself and not needed any major work........yet. Most of the stuff on the t6 is the same as the 6.1 apart from the electro mechanical steering and the cupboard doors oh and the foli springs on the upstairs bed as the t6 has slats which can be changed for frolis by squarego in germany.
Isn't the knob on the panel still in exactly the Same place on the 6.1 that can be broke?

Many thanks for all the info, plenty of great points raised. Must admit the T6 doesn't seem too bad a choice actually - the harsh reality was that I was really struggling to afford a 6.1 but the 6's are much more reasonably priced.

I see a few comments about T6's having sub variants with different dashboards etc and fixes for problems with roofs and such... Is there a 'golden era' for T6's were they best over a certain time period?

As in leaks?? I thought the T6 was the one with the leaky/corroding roof
I'm afraid you thought wrongly.
The T5 suffered with Galvanic corrosion which was cosmetic and the only ones that leaked were those that had the VW plastic cap fitted as the sealant failed . The T6.1 was fitted with a new double skinned bellows that leaked version 03S. Now on Version 06S which appears waterproof.

Honestly the Touch screen camper controller is the only big thing that you will miss. If you get DCC you can adjust more settings in the infotainment. Matrix LED which honestly I have in my car and I keep it switched off as it causes oncoming people to blink me.

T6 has a better dash with soft touch, available Dynaudio sound system, ACC, traffic sign recognition, still has LED headlights. Additionally you can tune the ECU on them for more power, but the T6.1 204ps is still locked.

LED Headlights were an option on the T6.

LED Headlights were an option on the T6.
Correct, however T6.1 added the matrix feature.

It's not a huge enough jump from T6 to warrant purchasing a new car. If anything the T6 makes upgrading easier to do in terms of audio as it even has larger door speakers. As a audiophile I appreciate the T5 and T6 audio options from Dynaudio.

I got a pre-reg'd late T6 with split glass worktop, panorama opening in the bellows, LED headlights, rear shower, internal lighting package.
I had seen a few T6.1 but really the T6 I got wasn't lacking anything ... except the ACC but that wasn't available.
Very happy with what I have and never been tempted to upgrade. Even less so now that I've read about the so-called 'T7' :D

one thing not mentioned in this thread ... the T6,1 has an inverter with higher output power. However as I can charge my laptop through usbc that has never been an issue.

The T6.1 got rid of the footrest in the driver's footwell, not a big issue, but for some people having it in the T6 and then having to rest your foot under the brake pedal in the T6.1 was a bit of a pain.

Me and the Gaffer have rented both the T6 and T6.1, annoyingly the ideal is somewhere in between.

The dash on the T6 is better for storage, a better feel, felt lined in certain pockets of storage etc.. but I do like the digital dash on the T6.1.

But things like the door upgrades for the wardrobes and the ability to lift and hold the bed up are nice in the T6.1.

When I pull the trigger, I think I will prefer the T6 because of the dash, footrest, and much better front storage for all the odds and sods, and I can add an after-market head unit to get a bigger carplay screen.

The 6.1 has the 'lounge' feature yes. But practically it means moving all your luggage to use it.
you can prop the bed up for tv with some stays that you have to fit from the boot door
You don't have to move your luggage. If you're in bed, there's a 'pull' to raise the bed head into a sort of chaise. If you're sitting on the bench in the back you can pull the seat forward a notch (if there's luggage immediately behind the bench) and 'pull' the strap to recline the back of the bench seat.
No need for stays on the 6.1.

But to answer the OP's question...you won't be disappointed with either (unless you get a 'leaky bellows' 6.1 - search for how you can check that). Just tailor your choice to your budget. Don't be fooled into over-stretching yourself. If you find a 6 or 6.1 Ocean with good service history, in good nick, you won't be disappointed. I don't think any options (including the bigger engine) are essential, but a tow bar is handy if you're carrying bikes.

If I ever change from my T6, it will be for the better headlights and 4motion and froli springs. Having slid around muddy campsites and sideways down a slope I feel 4motion would be my only real reason to upgrade though.

VW supplied T6 Oceans with the ‘comfort dash’ option as standard. Not as modern as perhaps but much nicer than the panel van dash of a T6.1 which I don’t like.

6.1 has a better sprung top bed. The 6 has wooden slats that can bottom out with two adults up there.

Before I purchased our T6.1 I looked around for about a year before taking the plunge - money wasn't an issue but spec etc was. We'd had a T5 conversion for 9 years so knew what we wanted.
My local dealer was superb - young chap knowing everything and anything about Cali's - a bit like Cali Chris but younger. He'd had privalege of being able to trial each variant as it came out over last 10 years. They had a late T6 and a nearly new T6.1 so easy comparison.

We have Golf with digital dash and the T6.1 dash is a step up and mines got the Pro version (no knobs) and is superb with wireless conctivity for Android Auto and Apple Carplay. Works seemlessly and software updated over the air as opposed VW dealers or via a USB. I like the solid click shut of the cupboard doors in 6.1 the tambour doors on T6 could get stuck with a lot in cupboards and many pictures of them breaking! Yes it's easy to raise rear shelf to form back rest when used as bed (we've tried it and it's easy). Haven't used upper bed so cannot comment. Overhead control appears better on T6.1 with digital display (looks smarter than the T6). Ok much less storage in dash but you can use what's there, just buy some grey antislip matting!!! LED lights everywhere - don't think T6 had them on the one I saw. LED headlamps with high beam assist are superb; the T6 didn't have high beam assist or matrix. Worked superb on journey back from Scotland with 5 hours in the dark. Every sensor under the sun including self-parking but favour feature is with trailer stabilization, trailer assist and trailer moving assist using camera and sensors makes reversing trailer a doddle. The DSG doesn't have 'Sport' mode like T6 as he said they'd adjusted software to suit all driving styles. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure chap said VW tweaked the suspension set-up to make a little more comfortable - must admit I found T6.1 slightly quieter and smoother than T6. Must admit both were 150 hp and I missed getting the T6.1 as in the end got a much higher spec T6.1 204 in same colour for same money but in Preston!! Haven't looked back.................so for my ten pences worth v little diiference apart from age (mine is July 2022 model); thankfully mine has the O2S bellows so fingers crossed should be leak free; we'll see as we are away in Scotland for 2 weeks coming up next week

Back