Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

OEM or Aftermarket?

royalv2

royalv2

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Our (second hand T6) Beach has currently got ‘droopy tailgate’ , though I read this is often related to the seasonal temperature. On checking the gas struts though, they’re rated at 1200N and I read that others with bike racks fitted have 1250s. I’m wondering why (it is a VW bike rack). Do these look like OEM struts to you?

(Can anyone recommend a good supplier of 1250Ns?)

A0089414-8F7C-4D00-A687-69EE7A4448A6.jpeg

Do you have anything apart from the two chairs in your tailgate as any extra weight makes a lot of difference to the tailgate staying up.

Do you have anything apart from the two chairs in your tailgate as any extra weight makes a lot of difference to the tailgate staying up.
I do keep the waterproof wrap for the pop up roof and the awning handle in there. 2-3kgs I guess.

I have ordered 2 sets of struts, for cars, from SGS. On both occasions they were far more powerful than the OEM struts. On the second occasion we had to return them because the tailgate came up far too quickly to the point of being dangerous.

Personally I would go for OEM.

I'm wondering why you wouldn't just get the OEM ones.

There must be a little bit more clout with the guarantee.

I'm wondering why you wouldn't just get the OEM ones.

There must be a little bit more clout with the guarantee.
Westfalia, I’m open to OEM (though I don’t know the price yet). My title of the thread relates to whether the 1200N made in Romania struts already on the vehicle look like OEM or not? So I’ve an idea if this Beach came with that rating of strut or if they are aftermarket ones the previous owner fitted. (Sorry, I didn’t explain myself very well).

Westfalia, I’m open to OEM (though I don’t know the price yet). My title of the thread relates to whether the 1200N made in Romania struts already on the vehicle look like OEM or not? So I’ve an idea if this Beach came with that rating of strut or if they are aftermarket ones the previous owner fitted. (Sorry, I didn’t explain myself very well).
I'm sure mine are 1250, but I'll have to check,
I can't understand what the difference is between a Beach
tailgate and an Ocean. Surely they should all be 1250.

Costs, maybe. Those bean counters, geography teachers with patches
on their elbows.

I can't understand what the difference is between a Beach
tailgate and an Ocean. Surely they should all be 1250.
Only difference would be the heavier double glazed window in the ocean.

Whichever struts are fitted they are a compromise. Too heavy a rating and you won’t get the boot shut on a hot day without the chairs in.
Too low rating and it sags in winter.

I have a 2018 Beach (from new) with 1200N (not 1250N)

I suspect the extra 50N is related to the double Glazing on a CaliO as Andyinluton suggested above

My tailgate opens upto about 95% on its own, requiring light pressure to raise it fully (although in summer it opens fully without the need of assistance)

without chairs in the chair bag, it’s hard to close the tailgate

I can take a picture of my strut if you need, but I would suspect those fitted to your Van are OEM. Edit particularly as they have a VW part number

I have a 2018 Beach (from new) with 1200N (not 1250N)

I suspect the extra 50N is related to the double Glazing on a CaliO as Andyinluton suggested above

My tailgate opens upto about 95% on its own, requiring light pressure to raise it fully (although in summer it opens fully without the need of assistance)

without chairs in the chair bag, it’s hard to close the tailgate

I can take a picture of my strut if you need, but I would suspect those fitted to your Van are OEM. Edit particularly as they have a VW part number
Thank you @Perfectos, useful to know.

You have the OEM gas struts.
see here for the same as I have on my MY21 Beach as well:

I keep the chairs, levellers and bike rack on the tailgate all the time. No issues to keep the tailgate up, summer and winter. In winter a small push needed to get it to kinda ‘lock’ in upper position.
Cheers

Thanks Ch1pbutty. I’ve read of a few people being unhappy with gas struts from SGS; have you used them yourself?
I have used SGS twice, once for two new tailgate struts for my "classic" car and once to have the bonnet strut on my motorhome re-gassed.
I would happily recommend them.

You have the OEM gas struts.
see here for the same as I have on my MY21 Beach as well:

I keep the chairs, levellers and bike rack on the tailgate all the time. No issues to keep the tailgate up, summer and winter. In winter a small push needed to get it to kinda ‘lock’ in upper position.
Cheers
Thanks Kemper-van, that’s reassuring to know.

Update: 7 degrees here this evening and I can report that taking the pop-top wrap out of the tailgate made the difference between staying open or not. Thanks!

Back