Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Uprating roof gas struts - Cali Beach

Y

Yellow2014beach

Hello,

I have a 2014 California Beach. So it uses gas struts to lift the roof.
All works fine.
However I put surf boards and windsurf equipment on the roof and the struts, which are rated to lift 450NM will only just hold one board at extension and not to full lock out.
In fact the mechanism will lift a windsurf board in a bag - when the bag is dry - but if it rains and the bag gets wet - the roof won't stay up.

I have identified a supplier that for very little money say they can up-rate the existing struts or supply brand new ones. I'm thinking of uprating to 900NM.

Uprating follows the same rationale as the tailgate lift that when uprated can lift 4 bikes on the bike rack.

Question is: Has anyone on the forum tried uprating the roof struts on a beach?

UPDATE-
Having looked into this in some depth I don't recommend touching the original struts (unless they have become faulty). The beach roof design is such that the bellows actually act to restrain the roof elevation. Thus if you up-rate the struts the extra force exerted might rip the bellows canvas.

Can't help with the Beach but we had the tailgate struts done on our old Mazda Bongo so that it would lift with bikes on.
The problem then is that you virtually have to hang on it to close it without the bikes on, possibly the same would apply to a roof?? The other half really struggled with it.
This is where we had ours done.
http://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-stru ... AoYM8P8HAQ