Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Off to the continent for the first time

vananarama

vananarama

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
After many of having our wings clipped during the pandemic, we’re finally heading back to the continent for a road trip holiday at the end of the month, taking with us Rhiannon, a Beach which we bought at the very start of 2020. We’re staying in Bergerac for a wedding, then heading to the Ardeche followed by Lake Annecy and finishing off at Disneyland Paris.

It’ll be our first Euro road trip in this van and the first since 2016 (in a Transporter) so… any advice and tips pertinent to recent law changes, or general camping in France, or places to see (best tourist experience at Mount Blanc, anyone?) would be very welcome. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chamonix always worth a visit, I love a trip to Poco Loco for their amazing burgers too, maybe head through the tunnel for some of the villages on the other side. Gran Paradiso area not far away either.
Have a great trip :thumb

Since 2016 ...
France - national speed limit has been reduced from 90 to 80kph (56 to 50mph) but, anecdotally, this is enforced in some areas more than others.
Uncertain that you still need to carry 2 alcooltest - French drivers didn't like the imposition.
UK registration plate has replaced GB, no reason given.
Near the Ardeche headwaters - campsite at Lac d'Issarles is very pleasant: clean loos and showers, lakeside, wooded, 4 restaurants in village (10 minute stroll). Also very convenient for visits to the sources of the Loire at Mont Gerbier de Jonc, Le Puy en Velay and the Ardeche gorges.
Have a good trip.

As mentioned above watch the speed limits they change frequently on non motorway roads especially when approaching a village, very easy to get caught out as the signage is sometimes poor, (often backed up by a camera )

France is pricey compared to Italy. If you’re anywhere near the Mont Blanc tunnel then go through and do the scenic drive down the Aosta valley, avoid motorway. Loads of beautiful towns there.

Chamonix is so so, largely spaffing money off tourists in large amounts, although the train to the glacier is well worth it.

Disneyland is my idea of a personal hell so I can’t help you there, though if you have kids there is a farm with tree houses near pierrefonds, NE of Paris which our kids loved. You get to your house via zip wires and your breakfast is attached to the bottom of a rope you pull up when you’re ready. Very special.

After many of having our wings clipped during the pandemic, we’re finally heading back to the continent for a road trip holiday at the end of the month, taking with us Rhiannon, a Beach which we bought at the very start of 2020. We’re staying in Bergerac for a wedding, then heading to the Ardeche followed by Lake Annecy and finishing off at Disneyland Paris.

It’ll be our first Euro road trip in this van and the first since 2016 (in a Transporter) so… any advice and tips pertinent to recent law changes, or general camping in France, or places to see (best tourist experience at Mount Blanc, anyone?) would be very welcome. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We have just left the Bergerac area! I’m sure you will have a lovely time in France. Definitely worth a trip to St-Émilion while you are there. It’s only an hour away. Check out the Maison du Vin, which has a fantastic selection of wines at chateau prices, including from many smaller local producers :)

In terms of changes.. The standard speed limit for single carriageways was reduced from 90 to 80 kph in 2018, so since your last visit. However, the French Departments have the ability to opt out on some or all of their roads. This makes it very confusing and it’s not always obvious what the limit is. My advice would be to stick to 80 kph unless you are see a sign that says otherwise. Google maps has proved pretty accurate for speed limits on our trip.

Another change is the requirement for a UK sticker and I believe old GB stickers must be removed.

Crit’Air - if you plan to travel to areas with permanent emission controls, you will need this sticker. There are also a number of areas where controls can be applied at any time on a temporary basis when pollution levels are high. If you know you will be travelling through places with temporary controls, plan ahead and check if they are active.

Other things that remain the same but worth reminding are… yellow vests for all passengers, spare bulb set, warning triangle, headlamp deflectors (if needed).

One last thing… 24 bottles of vin per adult is the tax free limit :)

We have just left the Bergerac area! I’m sure you will have a lovely time in France. Definitely worth a trip to St-Émilion while you are there. It’s only an hour away. Check out the Maison du Vin, which has a fantastic selection of wines at chateau prices, including from many smaller local producers :)
St Emilion is great for cycling around if you have bikes, so picturesque. Not too sure about the wine, seemed over priced, more a Rioja fan myself. Bordeaux is an amazing city for a break if you go that way.

Crit’air the main change. Easy to get via the website and the pdf reciept can be used until the sticker arrives
Costs about 4 euros

Back