Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Offers accepted but which one do I choose.

Ajspicer

Ajspicer

VIP Member
VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Having visited a couple of Calis over the weekend, both my preliminary offers have been accpeted but I am torn on which one to choose.

Cali One: 2010 grey manual 180 with cruise control and privacy.

Cali Two: 2010 silver dsg 180 with cruise control, privacy, awning, front and rear parking sensors, headlamp washers, safe box, multi-function steering wheel, Climatronic air conditioning.

There is £1000 difference between the two and 9000 miles.

Whilst the extra options are nice the only ones I really want is the awning and parking.

If I am honest the possible future costs of problems with the DSG is the main reason I am not going for Cali two, although I am keen to have the grey as we have had a silver T5 with Cali interior for 5 years and would like a change of colour. Am I right in thinking this could be very costly in the future.

We are both average wage earners so this is a very big spend for us and are really nervous of a big bill later associated with the DSG. We also propose to keep this one for years and years as I hate the hassell of buying and selling vehicles and also quite sentimental!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Andrew.

Hi Andrew,

I hear what you're saying about DSG, I can see big repair bills down the road for this but realistically they have to be good for at least 100k (don't quote me on this...) worst case scenario (how many years into the future?) the cost of repairing DSG might be at a guess 2-3k worst case?

Take into the account the manual is going to need some clutches in this time too.

I don't have an answer (or a crystal ball!), I'd say that having the Climatronic is pretty good.

My gut feeling is you're paying too much for the 2010 without DSG if you can get the DSG + options for 1k more.

Best of luck, hope some of that rambling helped!

Rich

Personally, I would say that if you plan to keep it, Get the DSG with the options. I'm not convinced that a DSG box will cost more to run over say a 10-15 year period than a manual box. Any issues will be expensive on either...!!

DSG :)

You will want the parking sensors and the awning and they will cost well over 1000 to retro fit.

You dont NEED climatronic but it will add value and is a cool toy.

Also for every person moaning about dsg faults there are plenty more happy campers. Plus there will be loads of other non cali t5s doing monster miles on DSG

T

The DSG has been out for 10 years now, and the only issues(and rarely) with them in my experience, are the mechatronics unit, and these are only £1000(only!!). A clutch and flywheel will cost this on a manual, and will need doing in the vehicle life. I would go DSG and extra's all day long . :thumb

180 DSG anytime.Have the icing on top of the cake! :D

Kev I was the same - I used to hate Autos, but DSG has changed my mind.

My "normal" car is a manual, but when I come to replace that I will be going DSG (or BMW/Audi equivalent)

T

My Cali is manual
My Car is Audi with DSG Box.

When i picked up my Cali the Biggest regret i had was the Manual Box. The Cali is such arelaxing vehicle to drive and the Icing on the cake for me would have been the DSG Box.

Also you will definitely regret not having rear parking sensors ....and they are an expensive VW fit.

Go for it ...before someone else does :D

2 things on our pre_registed Cali that were not on my wants list that we would not want to live without now and would be on the top of the list when we buy the next one is the DSG and parking sensors, never had either before, I am sure I would have backed into the odd blind spot post by now wit out them :thumb

I think dsg has been a game changer in auto vehicles. Pre dsg auto boxes were slower and used more fuel, this is virtually reversed now. I remember an old mini with 4 speed auto from the 70s and it was ghastly. Up until dsg you needed a big v8 to work an auto box imho

Dsg could virtually eliminate manuals in mid market petrol and diesel cars in the future I think, just as auto chokes have replaced manual ones.

Rear parking very very useful too in a big bus

The UK is getting lazy ,fat and unfit get a clutch and gearbox ,so you as a person can drive the bus and be alert when driving :) ...lol

Ps .. No offence and no finger pointing just an off the cuff observation ...lol lol

I feel better no I can go jump about on the roof at work :)

gatvol said:
I think dsg has been a game changer in auto vehicles. Pre dsg auto boxes were slower and used more fuel, this is virtually reversed now. I remember an old mini with 4 speed auto from the 70s and it was ghastly. Up until dsg you needed a big v8 to work an auto box imho

Dsg could virtually eliminate manuals in mid market petrol and diesel cars in the future I think, just as auto chokes have replaced manual ones.

Rear parking very very useful too in a big bus
DSG are more complex that manual boxes, more gears and more electronics. They will therefore be more likely to fail and more expensive to repair ( like all electromechanical systems). Doesn't mean you shouldn't choose one though

In my opinion, either:

a) The manual one is over priced.
b) The DSG is underpriced.

If a) then i'd haggle some more then make a choice.

If b) then go for it!

choplee said:
The UK is getting lazy ,fat and unfit get a hole cut in the bottom an use leg power

I agree. Yabadabadooo! :D

Barney

I had only driven an Auto in the States on holiday and when looking for the van, the only ones i saw/liked were with DSG. Now having owned it for 3 months, i have no regrets, my wife said she would never drive it, but she does and finds it okay other than the size she says (might be a joke there - but...) So with my left foot tucked away in the beginning, i have now got used to it, love it and a really think the DSG box suits it. So i would go for DSG again. The only issue that i have when driving our other car, is forgetting to use the clutch when coming to a stop sometimes!! not a nice sound in a diesel!

reserves said:
In my opinion, either:

a) The manual one is over priced.
b) The DSG is underpriced.

If a) then i'd haggle some more then make a choice.

If b) then go for it!

I agree fully. I have a manual and love it.

But with the extra options, if you've got the choice go for best value! Either way you'll love it.

I got a discount on insurance as ours has parking sensors F&R....