Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Offers accepted but which one do I choose.

I have just moved on my Golf R with DSG as i had so many mechtronic problems with it. It was on its second box (2012 with 20000kms on the clock) and had issues with false neutrals, lost gears, seriously unpleasant changes and stalling. Second time it was in there were 7 (!) cars in with DSG problems, mix of 6spd and 7 spd across the whole VAG range. The gearbox guy was rolling his eyes at them as he reckoned they were a nightmare to diagnose.
My experience only and i hate them, yes on a track car it was excellent, no on a road car as its worst of both worlds. Give me a clutch and some control any day.

i would go for the extra bits and bobs and the DSG.

If a clutch goes on a Cali - not so expensive but there is the probability that it will take the fly wheel with it - then at main dealer prices you are looking a grand +

I agree - manual over priced here.

Where is our resident in house auto box expert - come in from the wide sandy beaches of the north Cornwall Coast and give us your opinion Mat

:)

James

Many thanks for your responses, whilst more votes were cast for the DSG I have decided to go for the manual 180 grey, I adore the colour and with the additional bits I have planned for the exterior I think the colour will be perfect. it will also be a welcome change from the silver cars and silver T5 I have had over the last few years.

An awning can be added really easily as it is a DIY job, and plenty come up for sale on ebay.uk or ebay.de, multi function steering wheel if I ever feel the need sounds a piece of cake and rear parking sensors and control module have already been sourced and I will be fitting them ASAP. As for Climatronic, I think I can live without it.

I am pretty good at DIY mechanics and given our budget I will need to continue this way should anything go wrong with the Cali in the future, so DSG was out of the question really as it would be beyond me and mechanically savy friends.

Should be picking up the Cali on Saturday or Sunday, how will I get to sleep for the next few nights! However, given the amount of time and effort I have spent converting my T5 into our California-ish I will be very sad to see it go when sold :cry:

Thanks again,

Andrew.

Glad you have made up your mind enjoy :thumb