Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Offical dealers should be the first port of call.

Anthony1

Anthony1

Too young to be old
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I mentioned in a previous thread that my 4WD was not working. I took it a local garage, which works on VWs along with all other cars. The owner and lots of staff have T5s. I went there because I can walk home from their garage.

An investigation over two days cost £90. They said to return in a week as it may need a new Haldex pump.

Instead I went for a second opinion to SMG Cowfold - official VW dealers. They undertook a full check, including a video of the underneath. They then checked the roof for corrossion - rust free. Cleaned and fitted clear tape around the whole of the roof edging, as per a VW campaign/recall. They did all the fault checks and said it needed a new pump and rear brake pads. Cost of inspection etc. Free.

I returned some days later for a new pump and brake pads.

It goes to show a a local garage won't get the campiagn/recall letters from VW, while an official VW dealer will. Both the local garage and SMG were about the same price for the work undertaken.

SMG are now my go to dealer, even though they are 20 miles from my house. They also have a lounge with tv, cofee etc. the other garage has nothing and they park most vehicles in the street..

SMG Cowfold are one of the best dealers I know, always friendly, professional and they know the California well.

Only if your local VW dealer is as good as yours...
Mine are pretty bad... and that’s being positive

Wow. I tried them out.

I had them fit a Sportline front valance. Too low and caused problems with the parking sensors. I raised it. On removing the number plate, missing fixing / broken fixing. Now the number plate covers it completely so one didn't fall out. Luckily I have plenty of Landover fixings so I modified and fitted a couple of these after drilling the broken one out. This (now) properly secured the middle of the valance. I also filed the ends of the valance so it fitted better and added more adhesive to eliminate some gaps.

I didn't realise that the lower bumper corners are removed to fit the valance. I didn't receive these back. If I ever remove the valance I will need to buy these again and I suspect they will need to be painted. They should have left them in the vehicle.

They also installed VW lowering springs. I had an MOT about 6 weeks afterwards. Failed on a suspension drop link. The drop link was bent outwards???. The VW dealers have a difference of opinion. As the link is fixed at both ends, its not possible to bend this out without removing one end. As the bend was at the top. The lower end was removed

Roof recall. Yes, they had inspected it, cleaned it and taped it as part of the recall. It was not recorded as being done and I was suspicious . I checked and no it hadn't been done or cleaned. They tried to argue that I had signed the job off for the warranty recall so not their problem. Breeze finally did the works

Cambelt and water pump. Its still going but I did contemplate having this redone by Breeze. Breeze have called as it wasn't added to the vehicle's record. I'm not sure if this is a VW database or their individual records.

Drop links.jpeg

I suppose that in the vast majority of cases the owner gets in and drives off, not bothering to check the work.

Having only minimal confidence that any job carried out for reward will be done properly, I too always check thoroughly. Re garage servicing, I have in the past marked components that were due for change just to ensure that they were in fact changed. It's surprising what some people think they can get away with.

I suppose that in the vast majority of cases the owner gets in and drives off, not bothering to check the work.

Having only minimal confidence that any job carried out for reward will be done properly, I too always check thoroughly. Re garage servicing, I have in the past marked components that were due for change just to ensure that they were in fact changed. It's surprising what some people think they can get away with.
That's true but you can't check everything.

Wow. I tried them out.

I had them fit a Sportline front valance. Too low and caused problems with the parking sensors. I raised it. On removing the number plate, missing fixing / broken fixing. Now the number plate covers it completely so one didn't fall out. Luckily I have plenty of Landover fixings so I modified and fitted a couple of these after drilling the broken one out. This (now) properly secured the middle of the valance. I also filed the ends of the valance so it fitted better and added more adhesive to eliminate some gaps.

I didn't realise that the lower bumper corners are removed to fit the valance. I didn't receive these back. If I ever remove the valance I will need to buy these again and I suspect they will need to be painted. They should have left them in the vehicle.

They also installed VW lowering springs. I had an MOT about 6 weeks afterwards. Failed on a suspension drop link. The drop link was bent outwards???. The VW dealers have a difference of opinion. As the link is fixed at both ends, its not possible to bend this out without removing one end. As the bend was at the top. The lower end was removed

Roof recall. Yes, they had inspected it, cleaned it and taped it as part of the recall. It was not recorded as being done and I was suspicious . I checked and no it hadn't been done or cleaned. They tried to argue that I had signed the job off for the warranty recall so not their problem. Breeze finally did the works

Cambelt and water pump. Its still going but I did contemplate having this redone by Breeze. Breeze have called as it wasn't added to the vehicle's record. I'm not sure if this is a VW database or their individual records.

View attachment 53071
Did you go back and ask for the lower bumper corners? They must be there somewhere.

No, I only realised once I raised the spoiler and since we had a non-sensical conversation over the roof recall. (You signed it/you were happy at the time ..... you asked me to sign it for the VW warranty RECALL not that I had inspected that the works had been carried out .........which you didn't carry out).

I also came to the conclusion that I wouldn't take the Sportline valance off.

It goes to show a a local garage won't get the campiagn/recall letters from VW, while an official VW dealer will.
Did anyone think they did?

As for the prices being the same, I suggest you look for a different independent garage if that’s the case.

I’m not arguing there aren’t many plus points for staying in the dealer network, but I don’t think your example scores highly in that debate. Maintaining resale value by having a book full of main dealer stamps is the main benefit in my opinion.

This will make you laugh.

Slightly connected as it relates to VW. Our company GTE charging cable packed up. We mentioned this to VW as the car was still under warranty. They stated that they would need to charge £60+VAT to diagnose the problem. They rung back and said your charging cable doesn't work. We said we know that but what's the problem. They said we don't know. We tried another cable and that worked so your cable doesn't work. We said yes we know that because it doesn't light up. They said yes it doesn't light up either. So you're charging £60 + VAT for this........

They decided that they wouldn't charge in this instance. Warranty declined the cable as it's not attached to the car. £750 + VAT for a new one. Bought a longer third party replacement for £350 with a two-year warranty (take note VW... cable comes with a warranty)

Last edited: