Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Oil seal on engine at three years having had the leak attended too before.

Christine Kirk

Christine Kirk

Lifetime VIP Member

Christine Kirk

Lifetime VIP Member
Messages99
Dropped off cali for its third service and had an inspection video shortly after. Shows an oil leak from the sump and oil from the bell housing. ( the van centre Sheffield, has already had the rear crank seal / flywheel studs to cure, it leaked from new) Has anyone else had a similar issue and was it continuing.
It did occur to me that when they did the rear oil seal previously it woul require the gearbox to be separated from the engine to access the rear main flange and thus the engine would have to be supported and perhaps the sump was bent/ distorted then.
Comments welcome

Thats not good. Hope you got it sorted.

Mine has now developed a slight weep at 8yrs old (hence the forum search) and there is a special tool required to reinstall and a dimension criteria when resetting the placement. I suspect the job wasn't done right.

Thats not good. Hope you got it sorted.

Mine has now developed a slight weep at 8yrs old (hence the forum search) and there is a special tool required to reinstall and a dimension criteria when resetting the placement. I suspect the job wasn't done right.
The technician at JCT 600 told us that there has been a few oil leak issues with the Bi Turbo engines and also excessive oil consumption!

No oil consuption just a slight weep in this instance. Not sure if I have VW do it or buy the special, once in a life time tool, and do it myself. Its been 35yrs since I whipped a gearbox out and its much, much easier to do on a two poster.

Back