Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Oil Help Is this Normal ?!

J

Jenny H

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Sorry for such a basic question but I have looked in my manual to no avail - is there a particular oil I should buy to top up ?

I've always used this in my T6. Note you need the Long Life oil (LL)

Note only fill to half way up dipstick when hot & on level ground.

Really is little need to top up a modern engine. Just get it serviced as per the schedule and they’ll sort it for you.

If you’re burning oil you have a bigger issue elsewhere.

Thanks for replies - so prior to setting off on long journey I checked my oil dipstick which reads just under halfway mark. I’ve bought oil as above but gone to open to put in & this is what I’ve found ?! eaf39fe2-dbd3-498e-96a7-90440006ff8a.jpeg

Long filler tube gets cold and hence sludge/condensation. Normal on short running use.

Shouldn't fill above half mark with hot engine.

Search 'mayonnaise oil' to read more.

I went to check mine and....yes I have that emulsified oil also, but much much less. cleaned it off and will recheck after two weeks. Hmmmm.... it does not look good in my book. The last car which did this was my C registration Morris Mini 850 from 1965 I believe.

But maybe it is "normal" in a Cali....winter was cold and car has only 4k kms. Will see if with the warm/hot weather the situation goes away. In the mean time I need to hear again that it is "normal."

Thanks for replies - so prior to setting off on long journey I checked my oil dipstick which reads just under halfway mark. I’ve bought oil as above but gone to open to put in & this is what I’ve found ?! View attachment 123228
Be very careful about over filling as seen on California time the level is critical it’s measured in during the service as stated above you shouldn’t need to add any oil if the van has been serviced properly
The dip stick will show below full mark it’s normal

Be very careful about over filling as seen on California time the level is critical it’s measured in during the service as stated above you shouldn’t need to add any oil if the van has been serviced properly
The dip stick will show below full mark it’s normal
Sorry do you have a t6.1?

you shouldn’t need to add any oil if the van has been serviced properly
The crank case seals on the t6 and presumably t6.1 are prone to leaking, loss of oil should be checked.

Servicing is no guarantee. The two oil seals fail as is recognised by VW.

a small amount of oil loss is normal, (less than a litre between services)
if you find yourself topping oil up regularly there may be a wider issue That needs to be investigated.

never fill oil past the half way mark on the dipstick (Measure when engine is warm) Min to max oil level is 1 litre (oil expands when hot)
Regens can dilute the oil, particularly if not allowed to complete before switching off , which increases the overall oil level with un burnt diesel Which bypasses the piston rings when a Regen isn’t completed.

Thanks everybody Ive read all the old posts & much less concerned.
Im going to keep an eye on it though as suggested.
It had its small 3 year service in February.
Great to have all this experience & advice on the forum many thanks.

Back