Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Haldex oil strainer

D

Delfhill

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I know this has been discussed in the past, but I would greatly appreciate the answer to one simple question. I used to regularly change the Haldex oil and filter on my T5 but as you know there is no filter on the T6, just a strainer on the pump itself. It seems inevitable that this will eventually clog up, which has happened on our Tiguan 4Motion causing the control module to overload and fail. Whilst waiting several weeks for a new module, fortunately under warranty, I removed the pump and cleaned the blocked strainer, a very easy quick task. Now I am worried about our 4Motion Cali, should I clean the strainer? There are numerous YouTube videos and forum discussions about this, roughly half say just clean the strainer and refill with oil, the others say it is vital to plug into a VAG computer to relearn the pump. I have no access to such a computer and my local van centre are not interested in doing the job, so my question is this: do I really need to go through the pump relearning procedure or can I just clean the strainer and add new oil? Very many thanks in anticipation.
I have attached a photo of the Tiguan’s strainer, an identical Haldex unit.

CDAC2D02-C3B1-4CF3-99D6-CEF3707EAC73.jpeg

I had a Carista last week to see what it does, and to have my side lights on at the rear with DRL.
There was an option there to relearn the Haldex.
So might be a cheap option.
I had the free 1 month subscription to Carista, then cancelled it. And sent the dongal back to Amazon after a week as it did nothing else for me.

nearly 40 pages of Haldex filter discussion on Golf R owners club

Yes I’ve seen those posts and that’s what has led to my confusion with some saying the pump needs relearning after refilling with oil and some saying just drive it round the block. I have ordered a Carista and will see if I can go through the pump relearning procedure with that. I did see one post that said relearning was not necessary if the strainer was fairly clean, but was necessary if it was fairly blocked.

I’ve never done the relearn on my Golf R. I have the obdeleven app and dongle (used it to change a few car functions) and believe it’s possible to run it via that.
But after cleaning strainer and test drive it’s always been OK - had no wheel spin in wet or on snow unless being silly

I always check and top up the haldex oil after the test drive - I’ve found level drops after a drive after oil pumped around the system

Thank you, that's what I was hoping to hear. There never seemed to be the need to plug into a computer when the previous generation Haldex filters were changed and mine were always well clogged up, so I couldn't really see the difference when cleaning the strainer instead of a filter.

I know this has been discussed in the past, but I would greatly appreciate the answer to one simple question. I used to regularly change the Haldex oil and filter on my T5 but as you know there is no filter on the T6, just a strainer on the pump itself. It seems inevitable that this will eventually clog up, which has happened on our Tiguan 4Motion causing the control module to overload and fail. Whilst waiting several weeks for a new module, fortunately under warranty, I removed the pump and cleaned the blocked strainer, a very easy quick task. Now I am worried about our 4Motion Cali, should I clean the strainer? There are numerous YouTube videos and forum discussions about this, roughly half say just clean the strainer and refill with oil, the others say it is vital to plug into a VAG computer to relearn the pump. I have no access to such a computer and my local van centre are not interested in doing the job, so my question is this: do I really need to go through the pump relearning procedure or can I just clean the strainer and add new oil? Very many thanks in anticipation.
I have attached a photo of the Tiguan’s strainer, an identical Haldex unit.

View attachment 107181
Yes clean the strainer on 5th Gen Hadex and run the the learn function.

Also change oil in DSG transfer box every 60k miles, another service item not flagged up by VW.