Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Older californias against the new ??

Little owl1963

Little owl1963

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Is the older T5 a better vehicle than the new T6.1 ??

Reliability, mechanically ??
Not cosmetics .
What are the advantages / disadvantages of both older models and new ??

Lot say older vehicles are better , but I thought newer models are supposed to be improved ?

Be interesting to hear opinions?

There's probably differences between T6 and T6.1 as well. (?)

We have a T6 Ocean.
From what I gather the front cab and dash are better on the T6, but there are improvements to the kitchen & wardrobe on the 6.1. The cupboard doors are certainly better without the tambour/ rolling shutters.
The control panel has been 'improved' on the 6.1, though not everyone agrees.

Last edited:
Dont know about new Calis, we own a 2006 T5 with allmost 300.000km behind her. But she is going strong, original interior only minor repair of loose fabric, new bellows a few years ago. New hydrolic ram to lift the poptop after it got stuck also a few years ago. Engine is also running nice, got some repairs done all within expectations. She has been a vacation and daily drive for 22 years.

Dont know about new Calis, we own a 2006 T5 with allmost 300.000km behind her. But she is going strong, original interior only minor repair of loose fabric, new bellows a few years ago. New hydrolic ram to lift the poptop after it got stuck also a few years ago. Engine is also running nice, got some repairs done all within expectations. She has been a vacation and daily drive for 22 years.
Mine is from 2010, also no major problems. The interior is still shiny.
It has also been my daily from day 1 to now.
Mine is only 14 years old, how can yours be your daily driver for 22 years if the van itself is only 18 years old?

Ours is 2010 also. No major problems - except the egr valve immobilised us in France a couple of years ago. 100,000 miles and had it from new. Still love it :)

Is the older T5 a better vehicle than the new T6.1 ??

Reliability, mechanically ??
Not cosmetics .
What are the advantages / disadvantages of both older models and new ??

Lot say older vehicles are better , but I thought newer models are supposed to be improved ?

Be interesting to hear opinions?
Biggest disadvantage of the older vans is the emissions - its what drove us to selling our 2014 van, the daily charge for driving into London made it uneconomical to use as a daily driver.

If you start with a T5 and work through to T6.1 there have been small year on year improvements which whilst individually may be minor but add them all together & it makes a big improvement. I'm thinking of simple things like having courtesy lighting come on when opening the sliding door, lighting in the pop top, the split glass cover over the sink.

The other thing to watch out for on the older vans is the less generous spec as standard.
My 2014 had things like bluetooth for the phone, rear parking sensors(no camera), heated seats, awning, steering wheel controls and cruise control all as paid for extras.

Mine is from 2010, also no major problems. The interior is still shiny.
It has also been my daily from day 1 to now.
Mine is only 14 years old, how can yours be your daily driver for 22 years if the van itself is only 18 years old?
Whoepee, ehm..., that is because she is also known as the Tardis!
Sorry about that i made a miscalc.

Whoepee, ehm..., that is because she is also known as the Tardis!
Sorry about that i made a miscalc.
No problems. Maybe it feels like it's already 22 years?

Back