Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

One door closes...

A

Autonaut

...but another slides open in the most delightful way! Having been very keen campers for decades we decided to relegate the tents to the attic. It was all getting progressively cold and uncomfortable. Have spent the last year wondering what kind of van to get and thought about the Murvi Morello. These are fantastic but decided on seeing the Cali at a motorhome show that it was more appropriate for our method of travelling around exploring.
We love it and the pop up roof has the added bonus of being a bit tentlike. We are learning to "live" in it and have yet to decide what to buy and where to keep what.
Since we bought it in August we have had wonderful breaks in the Lakes, Worcestershire and the Malvern Hills and the Yorkshire Dales. In Mukker we went for a walk which was so wet that our rainproofs failed and my old walking boots fell apart so I was walking for the last 3miles just on the inner. It was fabulous to reach the civilisation of the Cali, the seat heating made the whole adventure seem hilarious.
We are trying to keep it in the nearly mint condition it came to us (it's an ex-demo) but have managed already to spill water and create tide marks on the upholstery before we could save up for the Brandrup seat covers - and someone stole an A off the back so we are now driving around in a Californi !
Advice on tidemarks and seat covers would be much appreciated.
:hello :D

Welcome.

I'm glad the Cali is making you happy.

With regard to seat covers I would suggest INKA. They make the OEM covers for VW.

Discounts are also available to VIP members.

Welcome :)

And INKA although the Brandrup mean the seats look the same with or without covers which is nice the INKA are £80 and fantastic. That said the INKA do have a utilitarian look to say the least :) so it depends if your seats looking like they have a Gortex coat on is a deal breaker.

Ave you tried using a baby wipe on the tide mark? They seem to remove most of what we threw at them until we put the covers on.

Welcome x 2.

Like you, we were tent campers for many years but the flexibility, comfort and hassle-free benefits of the Cali meant that making the switch was easy. (I still camp when I'm out climbing mountains though - no vehicle can better that).

I personally didn't like the "utilitarian" look of the Inka seat covers and managed to pick up the Brandrup ones second hand on EBay. I'd highly recommend them - fit like a glove.

Hi and welcome,

great to hear you are already getting a lot of fun in your Cali.

I loved your story about your walking boots. I hope you can share some more stories with us about your future travels. :D :thumb

Hope you get another A soon, perhaps your dealer will be kind to you and let you have one for free as you have just made a big financial investment in his company when you acquired your Cali.

John

Hellooooo and welcome too!
We went for the waterproof seat covers from VW. Decided waterproof was the only way to go due to young age of the kids and you know I wish we'd gone for the Inka ones instead. We bought the Inka cover for the rear parcel shelf mattress and I swear it's absolutely identical to the VW ones we have on the seats - but the VW one are extortionately priced! Ah well, you live and learn :headwall

Yeap you got it INKA make Vw covers for all there vans I have them in my caddy in my Cali as well... Same Vw bag and instructions are Vw ones to .. As jock said they just stitch in an Inka tag on the front instead of a Vw commercial one ...

Thanks everyone for the encouraging advice. I am now looking at the INKA covers - the Brandrup look phenomenal but I don't think the bank balance can handle it. I'll keep looking on ebay for a while though. In the meantime I'll try the baby wipes. It's some years since we bought them on a regular basis but I remember they were very handy for everything, not just babies. If it works I'll try some fabric guard while I look into covers.
:thanks

Welcome!

We have the VW seat covers and an Inka rear cushion cover and recommend both. Our two under four kids mean they get a hard life!

A couple of questions on the Inka covers that I hope you can help with:

* What material are they made of and are they breathable?
* Are they made to take account of the airbags in front seats?

Thanks,
Stu

Airbags yes they have slight openings that allow the airbags to deploy.

Material questions no idea but as the VW ones identical if no one can answer pop to a dealer that has some and take a look or give INKA a call I found them very helpful.