Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Oops we melted the bowl...

C

CaliCarol

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Just back from a lovely camping trip on the Isle of Wight and we noticed we'd melted the washing up bowl that fits in the Cali sink. I've just looked back at older threads and there is a discussion from 2017 on this subject. I'm posting again as it's something newer members might not be aware of - we certainly weren't. Not sure if it happened because we cooked on the ring directly adjacent to the sink (just with a ridge monkey pan) or because we have a metal cover over the sink to allow it to be used as an extra prep area, and maybe that conducted heat. Either way the bowl now has an interesting edge! I read that the bowl isn't actually standard VW issue but a brandrup accessory so I think we'll ditch ours now. Pretty useless for washing up anyway...

IMG_7841.jpg

What size pot did you use?

Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 17.08.12.jpg

Just back from a lovely camping trip on the Isle of Wight and we noticed we'd melted the washing up bowl that fits in the Cali sink. I've just looked back at older threads and there is a discussion from 2017 on this subject. I'm posting again as it's something newer members might not be aware of - we certainly weren't. Not sure if it happened because we cooked on the ring directly adjacent to the sink (just with a ridge monkey pan) or because we have a metal cover over the sink to allow it to be used as an extra prep area, and maybe that conducted heat. Either way the bowl now has an interesting edge! I read that the bowl isn't actually standard VW issue but a brandrup accessory so I think we'll ditch ours now. Pretty useless for washing up anyway...

View attachment 79842
You won’t be the first and you won’t be the last.....

yup, happend to us as well. It's a result of cooking on the ring adjacent to the sink. We tossed it away, never missed it.

View attachment 79842

View attachment 79842
Yes we have all done it. Abandoned our now used collapsible basin.

You can also melt the hob on/off control knobs as well !
Seriously? How is that possible? Do you need to do a specific dumb thing to melt it? I assume it doesn't melt when used normally? I hope..

Seriously? How is that possible? Do you need to do a specific dumb thing to melt it? I assume it doesn't melt when used normally? I hope..
Susie, who lives her life doing risk assessments on most actions she is involved in, is to this day baffled how it happened. However, one of our controls suffered, not actual melting - but how shall I describe it - heat-induced shape distortion.
I offer this as a cautionary tale, because even being ultra careful, it's obviously possible - we've done it!

The dumb ones!

Susie, who lives her life doing risk assessments on most actions she is involved in, is to this day baffled how it happened. However, one of our controls suffered, not actual melting - but how shall I describe it - heat-induced shape distortion.
I offer this as a cautionary tale, because even being ultra careful, it's obviously possible - we've done it!

The dumb ones!
Eek! Will be very careful in future. No-one wants heat-induced shape distortion for dinner!

Thanks. We've got something similar over the sink but it doesn't have the edge. We have now just abandoned the bowl as we never used it anyway!

Our dealer suggested that we remove the basin from the sink when using the hob to avoid melting it, we've done that from day one. We don't use the basin anyway, just use it to store stuff.

I wish we'd had the same advice! It is a bit of a useless piece of kit though eh? We use the outwell collapsible washing up bowl

The dumb ones!
there the reason the rest of the hob set up is Stainless steel
You can also melt the hob on/off control knobs as well !
not managed it on a van so far, different plastic I think. The bowl has always come out when using the rhd hob, I saw the spare price of the bowl !

View attachment 79842
Ahahahah, I've done exactly the same

We did this cooking toast in one of our previous hire vans, had to replace it, £18 from VW we now keep it to use in any hire vans we use until our cali arrives.

Always have put the bowl at an angle in the sink and raise the glass sink cover, after our friend told us of this potential. Wasn’t aware you could melt the knobs though ! That said, we rarely cook inside.

View attachment 79842
Very Salvador Dali. 1649424590531.png

Back