Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cooking near miss in my Cali

I use a Ridgemonkey. Put 2 slices (one on top of the other) and turn the pan. If you’re an English Gentleman and like your toast done on one side - that’s it. If you like 2 sided, turn the bread slices over in the pan too.

For a crispy finish, spread the butter on before cooking - like a semi fried bread. You just have to be disciplined and stop yourself buttering again post-toasting (if you want to avoid extra calories and fat). Butter is best as spread contains water.

I checked the manual - no comment on the max diameter of the pan. It's a bit vague about weather you're meant to lift the right hand split top covering the sink. It doesn't seem to have been updated. Surely the purpose of the split lid is that it can be left down?
There have been a couple of recent Facebook group posts about people shattering their sink glass using a large pan on the right hand ring with the sink top down.

Many people in the past wished for the 1 piece glass top to be split into 2. VW listened and I think this problem has arisen because someone didn't think it through.
The Theory of Unintended Consequences has risen its head.
Heating 1 side of the Glass top over the sink, due to using larger pans thus spreading the flame out sideways can only have one result. Heating part of the glass top and introducing temperature stress thus shattering the glass, or increasing the temperature under the glass thus damaging the plastic bowl.
Personally I would have both glass tops open if cooking.and using pans that have a base no more than 2cms larger diameter than the diameter of the Pan grid. The gas flame should be adjusted to the diameter of the pan and no more.

Many people in the past wished for the 1 piece glass top to be split into 2. VW listened and I think this problem has arisen because someone didn't think it through.
Heating 1 side of the Glass top over the sink, due to using larger pans thus spreading the flame out sideways can only have one result. Heating part of the glass top and introducing temperature stress thus shattering the glass, or increasing the temperature under the glass thus damaging the plastic bowl.
Personally I would have both glass tops open if cooking.and using pans that have a base no more than 2cms larger diameter than the diameter of the Pan grid. The gas flame should be adjusted to the diameter of the pan and no more.
Yes I agree. There’s no baffle strip like the one on the left side for the fridge (though I do worry about that) and so the heat just goes underneath and bang it shatters into a million pieces!

The advantage is perhaps limited to being able to use the sink for washing up and having the cooker cover to put the items being washed. So open both glass tops for cooking and one for using the sink. Half a result.

We just use dry frying pan on low flame - makes great toast and flame is concealed so safer!

Back