Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Open Camp-fire / Fire Pit

I'm a sucker for camp fires. So I'm keen find a portable firepit that we can use on sites where campfires aren't allowed but BBQs are. I've been looking at this one. It has folding legs and comes with a carrybag to keep the soot at bay. Has anyone used it or anything similar?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Garden-O...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Q1TYBKVE5N24XRZVSK9P
Have a look at this, the foldable outdoor wood burning stove. We use one, absolutely brilliant
https://www.anevay.co.uk/outdoors/

Reactions: DM
  • Thanks
Wow lots of sophisticated solutions out there :rolleyes:. Think I''l just keep it simple for the moment.

Yep had one for a couple of years, does the job and good for the money, bag keeps van clean
Do you use it on grass - do the legs leave marks and does the heat from underneath scorch the grass?

Do you use it on grass - do the legs leave marks and does the heat from underneath scorch the grass?

Yes, no, yes a little all depends on how hot it gets

It comes with a griddle so just keep a sausage/burger to hand and throw it on if you get challenged then its a BBQ

• Thanks
I've fitted a couple of those Frontier stoves to bell tents and can confirm that, while they're fine inside a tent, they would be next to useless in anything other than dead still air outdoors.

We've used one of the Hacienda ones on many occasions and you can get a pretty serious fire going on one if you're keen!

It's got to be said that Cali owners are certainly ambitious. I set out looking for a simple fire pit to toast a few marshmallows and sing ging gang gooly around and have been rewarded with an education into a range of sophisticated heating and cooking solutions :thanks .

I've bought a simple open bowl with folding legs. I'll let you know how I get on when it arrives. Had a bit of an expensive day today - also bought a waffle iron and stovetop coffee percolator. Time to stop (for a little while).

Last edited:
Basic fire bowl came today. Can't wait to use it but not sure if we'll get a chance this weekend. Depends where we end up. Might have to try it in the garden if not.

Top tip. Get a blow torch from Screwfix and chuck it in with the fire bowl.

Great for getting the kindling going, beats fire lighters etc :pinkbanana

"Twisted fire starter....."

Top tip. Get a blow torch from Screwfix and chuck it in with the fire bowl.

Great for getting the kindling going, beats fire lighters etc :pinkbanana

"Twisted fire starter....."
You are clearly the sort who sprays barbque lighter fluid on open flames :help.

I used the same clear alcohol used in the T4 spirit cookers.... woof!!!

HOR01_1_Large.jpg

this is my primeval fire fix, partly usurped by the new BioLite:

http://www.aboveandbeyond.co.uk/cooking/camping-stoves/biofuel-stoves/horizon-stove

Basic fire bowl came today. Can't wait to use it but not sure if we'll get a chance this weekend. Depends where we end up. Might have to try it in the garden if not.
Got the chance to use the fire pit at the weekend.

IMG_3914.JPG

Worked really well. We didn't load it up too much as I didn't want to test whether the 'no camp fires' rule included fire pits or not!

Back