Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Opening lid on top of gas bottle

John

John

VIP Member
Original post barry

I have a new camping gaz bottle to replace but i cant open the plastic lid no matter what i do. It s jammed solid. Help
Barry

Original post andy

These need to be reasonably tight to seal the gas bottle housing so as any leakage does not enter the van.
The lid has a rubber O ring which seals against the plastic moulding.

Not really got any technical suggestions.
Obvious suggestion first, are you turning it in the correct way ? ... anticlockwise.
Try using a pair of waterpump pliers, long handled pliers, for extra leverage. I would avoid using locking pliers as I think that will increase chances of damage.
Having said that it has to come off even if it does become damaged in the process.

Original post brother10

Barry,
Not sure if I have this correct but I believe this was brought up on the other site some time ago. Seem to think that a reasonable resolution was to get an appropriate piece of wood firmly against one of the ribs and tap it free. If you succeed, might not be a bad idea to give the threads a spray of silcone. Hope that helps.

Bob

Original post 180dsgcrispy

Try warming the lid very carefully with a hairdryer on a low setting. Once the whole lid is warm to the touch tap one of the ridges with a hammer and wooden block.

When replacing the lid apply a small amount of vaseline to the threads and the rubber o seal, this will prevent this problem re-occurring.

John said:
Original post barry

I have a new camping gaz bottle to replace but i cant open the plastic lid no matter what i do. It s jammed solid. Help
Barry
How did you get on Barry?

Chris

I had the same problem, heating did the trick, added some vaseline when replacing it