Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ordering a Coast - nav upgrade and wifi question

A

ANR

Vehicle
Looking to buy
I am just about to confirm my order for a Coast and my final decision is using the standard screen with App Connect or upgrading to the mid range nav (which is fairly pricey!).

1) Does the mobile app work as standard, with access to van stats, turning heating on etc? The descriptions below say pretty much the same thing:
Composition Colour DAB+ radio system
‘integrated eSIM and mobile online services as part of We Connect and We Connect Plus'

Discover Media navigation DAB+ system including ‘Streaming & Internet’.
‘integrated eSIM, mobile online services with Volkswagen We Connect Plus’

2) Does the mid range nav supply wifi? If so, does this run when the engine is off? And does it use VW data plans or can you change to your own sim? Thinking if to use this or a dongle for laptop connectivity.

Thanks for your help.

I have Discover Media Pro on our 6.1. I have 3 years access to the VW eSIM services. You cannot use a third-party SIM, indeed there is nowhere to insert one. You will need We Connect to use the VW online services.

I do not know what the upgrade cost is for a Coast but think carefully because retro fitting will be nigh on impossible. Personally I would go for at least the mid-range system. If unsure you would visit a VW CAR dealership - they will probably know more about the various systems than Van Centres.

Just looked at the upgrade cost - WOW!!!

1599035524808.png

If one of the drivers for this is the navigation, if you’re an iPhone user, Carplay knocks spots off the VW nav / interfaces, no matter how many other bells and whistles are added to it. I’d personally prioritise that first (unless it’s already included) before other add-ons.

As poor as the VW Nav is, I know from my Passat, it's still going to be desirable when you come to sell. I know it's annoying paying that much for it but it will definitely make it a bit more awkward to sell without any Sat Nav at all. I'll upgrade to the Discover system, not Pro if we go for a Coast.

As poor as the VW Nav is, I know from my Passat, it's still going to be desirable when you come to sell. I know it's annoying paying that much for it but it will definitely make it a bit more awkward to sell without any Sat Nav at all. I'll upgrade to the Discover system, not Pro if we go for a Coast.
If it were a premium car, I'd agree with you. I couldn't be without the inbuilt Nav on my car, for the use I have with it.
But for a leisure vehicle not sure. I have the App Connect on the Cali, and use googlemaps as a Sat Nav. It does a very decent job. Sat Nav tends to become "old" and outdated after 3 or 4 years, unlike an app which can always be updated and refreshed.
Try use gmaps or similar in your car instead of the inbuilt Sat Nav and see if you can live with it. But I wouldn't count on its desirability as a second hand car, unless you sell it next year..

Thanks for the replies, does anyone have any idea on the wifi connectivity?

If you mean connecting your phone/tablet to the built in eSIM then my Discover Media Pro will not let me do this. I have 3 years "internet" access included in the cost of the van.

What is your interest in the wifi connectivity? Ultimately its only going to be as good as the internet signal you get on your mobile phone which you could also share as a hotspot to laptops etc so i personally wouldn't consider it that useful. I also agree that the satnav that you use via Car Play / App Connect is superior to car satnav systems and that comes as standard on the coast.

To me, the only benefit of an upgraded navigation system is the larger screen and the fact that if you buy that you can also spec (and pay an additional fee for) the digital cockpit. But it's also so pricey i dont see any value in it.

It seems to me that by going for the VW option this then locks one into whatever VW offer at their price, take it or leave it. For me this is too inflexible. In my van I have two WiFi systems connected to external aerials providing very significant range increases. One system picks up any public WiFi availability including all the BT signals, including those from anyone in the vacinity that has a BT Hub. Just log on with your BT log in. The second is a data only 3 mobile SIM in a WiFi router that I can switch on or off monthly. In the UK I have yet to find anywhere where I can't find a signal of some sort. The longest distance was in remote Scotland where a church 12 miles down a loch was transmitting a public signal - there was clear line of sight access. Don't count on achieving this very often! As for sat nav, I declined the VW option and went for the Pioneer AVIC Z820DAB-C (campervan version so advises what roads not to go down) that is compatible with Car Play and Android Auto. Each to their own, the above works for me.

Back