Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Original VW Cali Comfort Mattress

We bought a Dunelm memory foam topper (approx 50mm thick) a few years back but didn't think much of it as a bed topper as the softness of the bed plus the topper made sleeping an enveloping and hot experience. However today I've tried it on the lower Cali bed ( we have the standard seat and parcel shelf mat) and it was really comfortable. Although the length is right it will need cutting down in width, then I intend to cut the foam into 3 sections widthways and then stitch it into a cover so that it folds onto the parcel shelf. The only slight downside I see is that memory foam is relatively heavy but the added warmth may well be a big advantage.

I also had a large piece of 25mm thick traditional foam to try, it felt reasonably soft to the touch but when laid flat it felt more resistant to compression compared to the memory foam. I really wanted to use this as it is so light in weight but I found there was hardly any difference in comfort with or without this foam.

So now I just need to find the sewing machine!

I have a brand new vw comfort mattress for the lower bed in our garage which we don't use. We bought a pre ordered one which had this option. Not sure how much it's worth but might be interested in selling. We are located in Bournemouth
Hello,
Do you still have the comfort mattress and would you be prepared to sell it? I would be very interested if we could negotiate a price.

Many thanks,
Jim.

Looking at the Brandrup website it seems to me that for the prices they are charging it wouldn't hurt to give a little more information about their products.
After one night on whatever mattress I have - it's grey, very heavy, comes in three attached section one of which as previously mentioned, is deeper - I found it much too hard for my arthritic hips, and much too heavy to move about. Does anyone sleep on the seat upholstery with just an (unbranded) memory foam topper?

I will be doing, and also interested in Crispin Family suggestion (not recommendation) from Ikea.

This will be my third hip-tested sleeping arrangement, so I will be writing a comparative review.

Last edited:
I will be doing, and also interested in Crispin Family recommendation from Ikea.

Careful, Jen! That was not a recommendation, it was an idea. My business is self-catering family lets in London. I do all I can to protect mattresses, and would rather throw away a £65 stained mattress topper than a £250 stained mattress. I do not yet have my beach, but can see no reason why a £65 mattress topper would not work well to ease out the lumps and bumps of the bench seat, as well as protecting it from nocturnal excretions. I have neither tried nor tested this in a car so cannot possibly make a recommendation.

Careful, Jen! That was not a recommendation, it was an idea. My business is self-catering family lets in London. I do all I can to protect mattresses, and would rather throw away a £65 stained mattress topper than a £250 stained mattress. I do not yet have my beach, but can see no reason why a £65 mattress topper would not work well to ease out the lumps and bumps of the bench seat, as well as protecting it from nocturnal excretions. I have neither tried nor tested this in a car so cannot possibly make a recommendation.

Apologies.

I have edited my post.

Incase this thread is still going and it is of any help... we have the comfort mattress bed extension, but find that it takes too much space at the moment - once baby is older and we don't need a pushchair we may well have space for it again. Instead we are using self inflating mats at the moment - it's actually really comfortable and goes some way to ironing out the lumps and bumps.

Can I ask how does the brandrup mattress give more space underneath? @SusiBus "the real bonus is it allows you to have the rear shelf at the higher setting giving you more storage underneath the bed; you can get 2lt bottle of drink standing upright" this sounds really interesting as we need every inch of space we can get

I have a brand new unused VW T5 T6 California SE/Ocean/2-Seat Beach Factory Cabin Mattress . It was supplied in my van but I have a three seat and black seats I demanded a new three seat version but kept the grey one. Looking for about £200. (SOLD)

bed mattress.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, I have a question for whom has original VW mattress. I have a T6 California Beach, when I lay the rear bench (3 seats) to fit the bed, I don't have a perfect planar surface (see picture attached, it is a stock image, not mine). The mattress I bought (an homemade one, very popular here in Italy) is instead perfectly planar, so when i put it on the bench, there is a not comfortable gap between mattress and bench. What about the original VW mattress? Is it perfectly planar, or has a slope/wedge that balances the gap?
thanks
28c748e87b5a08508e70d542c6281da5.jpg

Inviato dal mio ONEPLUS A3003 utilizzando Tapatalk