Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Out of curiosity: external temperature sensing in van.

Barbara

Barbara

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
After a trip of about 10 miles on a coastal Spanish motorway on a sunny and low wind day my curiosity was raised in relation to external temperature sensing. The van showed a variety of temperatures in the range 23°C to 28°C over a relatively short time and distance. Sometimes going up and sometimes going down. Don't worry I was not driving so not distracted.

My question is where is the van external sensor placed?

I know it is affected when parked in the sun . When driving most of the time it reads the same temperature as the Spanish national weather app AEMET which sensors where we are by the Global Positioning System (GPS).

think it's behind the bumper. it's normal to see variationswhen travellling. i see it often here heading north

After a trip of about 10 miles on a coastal Spanish motorway on a sunny and low wind day my curiosity was raised in relation to external temperature sensing. The van showed a variety of temperatures in the range 23°C to 28°C over a relatively short time and distance. Sometimes going up and sometimes going down. Don't worry I was not driving so not distracted.

My question is where is the van external sensor placed?

I know it is affected when parked in the sun . When driving most of the time it reads the same temperature as the Spanish national weather app AEMET which sensors where we are by the Global Positioning System (GPS).
On the control unit: The outside temperature is sensed by temperature sensor 2 for outside temperature G249, on the underbody next to the additional heater, evaluated in the control unit for special vehicles J608, and displayed in the E153 via the CAN bus body manufacturer. When the ignition is switched on, the outside temperature is hidden. (From SSP 708).
The temperature on the dashboard is measured elsewhere i believe (not 100% sure) as it is also needed for correct motor management. In my experience it is very accurate. Higher driving on sun heated highway, lower in shadow. I try to find a source describing its exact position.Must be on air intake of motor ?

On the control unit: The outside temperature is sensed by temperature sensor 2 for outside temperature G249, on the underbody next to the additional heater, evaluated in the control unit for special vehicles J608, and displayed in the E153 via the CAN bus body manufacturer. When the ignition is switched on, the outside temperature is hidden. (From SSP 708).
The temperature on the dashboard is measured elsewhere i believe (not 100% sure) as it is also needed for correct motor management. In my experience it is very accurate. Higher driving on sun heated highway, lower in shadow. I try to find a source describing its exact position.Must be on air intake of motor ?
The temperature sensor you are referring to, displayed on the Dashboard, is located behind the front bumper.

Back