Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Outdoor Revolution Oxygen Movelite 3 Review

marshian70

marshian70

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Following a request from one member, I thought I would post a review on the above to assist other members who may be considering buying one.

There are many driveaway awnings on the market and we spent a long time looking at the options before deciding to take the plunge with the Movelite 3. The reasons we choose it are:
In runs along the length of the Cali, rather than sticking out a long way from the side as many others do. Useful when pitch sizes are an issue (Camping & Caravan Club note)
Inflatable technology - I've had years of poles of one sort or another so time to try something new
We wanted something that has enough space so that our two daughters could have their own sleeping area on longer trips, and still have enough residual space for chairs etc.
It would allow us to comply with the CCC rules for use of their standard pitch sizes!

Given the above, the Movelite 3 was the only one we could find which fitted these criteria, so we decided to go ahead and take the plunge. It is worth noting here that only the 2015 model allows use of the new 4 person bedroom pod. The 2014 model only accepts a 2 person pod.

Given this was the first time we had put it up, it was pretty straight forward. There is a lot of material which comes out of the bag, but there are only three 'poles' to inflate with the supplied pump, which take relatively little effort. The time is then taken (as with all tents/awnings) pegging out and moving in. The Movelite range has a new system for 2015 which is supposed to prevent over inflation.

Pros:
It is well made and valves ensure air does not escape when removing the pump.
Feels very sturdy when pegged out
Provides just enough living space with the 4 person sleeping pod in place. Airy and light
The storage bag, although large, just fits under the rear shelf (in top position) and with seat fully back the boot shuts too (if this makes sense), ensuring reasonable use of precious loadspace.

Cons:
Attaching to the vehicle is a bit of a PITA. This is an issue with driveaway awnings in general though. In the end, we used the figure of 8 on top on the wind out awning method which seemed to work best.
The door under the canopy which you use for moving between vehicle and awning is designed for the UK market where the sliding door is on the nearside. Hence when correctly positioned, the entrance door to the awning is not directly opposite the Cali sliding door opening. This is perhaps a minor niggle but a niggle nonetheless.

Regarding attachment to the vehicle, I wish manufacturers would provide adjustable poles so the canopy which attaches can be left freestanding if required, rather than hanging down and flapping around when detached. That way you can just drive up to it and have the option not to attach if desired.

Packing away is straightforward - the only issue is it takes some effort to get it all back in the bag! Hopefully this is just a case of practice!

I hope this is of assistance to others who may be considering

Thanks, a really useful review. I have seen a few 2014 models for sale but after reading your comments I think it worth the extra for the 2015 improvements in the design.

One more question - did you buy the movelite connecting kit? is the one for the Fiamma awning?
Thanks

Yes I have the connecting kit, it came with the awning (long story). Is basically a piece of Kador and 3 plastic figure of eight pieces. You can buy them everywhere, doesn't have to be the outdoor revolution one. The Kador that came with mine for some reason is 4mm one side and 6mm the other, whereas 6mm both sides would be better.
Howebe

Back