Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Overnight Stops in Germany

DM

DM

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I'm after advice about the best places to stop overnight near the autobahn in Germany. We are driving down to Austria next weekend and want to just have a quick overnight half-way - probably somewhere around Koblenz or Mannheim.

I've read about Stellplatz, motorway service stations, overnight lorry stops and campsites. What's recommended bearing in mind we will arrive about 10pm and want to be on our way by 8am in the morning.

Since it is legal in Germany to sleep in your car / van, you can sleep anywhere you want. If you do not mind the noise, you can just use a "Parkplatz" (parking area) right next to the Autobahn. A lot of them are equipped with toilets.

• Thanks
Reactions: DM
Since it is legal in Germany to sleep in your car / van, you can sleep anywhere you want. If you do not mind the noise, you can just use a "Parkplatz" (parking area) right next to the Autobahn. A lot of them are equipped with toilets.
Are they generally safe? I've read a lot of tales about issues with overnighting in the French Aires.

Last edited:
Are they generally safe? I've read a lot of tales about issues with overnighting in the French Aires.

We overnighted a couple of times on Autobahn services, on our way upto Denmark to catch the ferry to Norway & back. There were 2 other Cali's with us on the way but we were on our own on the way back, we felt safe and had no problems. Judging by the amount of other vans doing exactly the same thing as ourselves, I'd guess it's quite normal & safe to do. We even cooked our breakfast and ate it at a picnic bench, both times. Showers and toilets were available to use for a small fee. It was a little noisy with the roof up, if you could sleep with the roof down, you'd get a better nights sleep!

Well the decision about where to stay on our way South was taken from our hands and we ended up spending half the night in the middle lane of the A3 just south of Koln. At least the Cali offers a lot more comfort in this situation than a car. We had plenty of time to boil the kettle and grab some (intermittent) sleep as it was clear no one was going to be moving for hours.

We then drove in for a couple of hours and grabbed a couple more hours sleep in a service station. I'd have no hesitation in using a service station again. There were a fair number of caravans and campers there. It felt very safe as there was plenty of activity right through the night - even when we arrived at around 4:30 am.

While I remember DM how did you get on with the LED headlights and driving over in Germany.? I am presuming you were able to adjust them on the computer and Police no problem?

Mike

While I remember DM how did you get on with the LED headlights and driving over in Germany.? I am presuming you were able to adjust them on the computer and Police no problem?

Mike
No problem whilst driving Mike. I didn't get flashed at all - although most of my night driving was on the motorway. A couple of observations though. Firstly, you cannot set the lights mode whilst driving. However, as above, I had a four hour window in which to do it! It may also be that the auto-dipping headlights do no work whilst in touring mode. I certainly couldn't get them to play ball. I haven't checked the manual yet to see if that is intential or was operator error.
Dave

No problem whilst driving Mike. I didn't get flashed at all - although most of my night driving was on the motorway. A couple of observations though. Firstly, you cannot set the lights mode whilst driving. However, as above, I had a four hour window in which to do it! It may also be that the auto-dipping headlights do no work whilst in touring mode. I certainly couldn't get them to play ball. I haven't checked the manual yet to see if that is intential or was operator error.
Dave
Thanks Will probably have to get multiple language translations to show the Gendarme etc. Hopefully the German ones will know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dave

Must admit that I've always been suspicious of the traffic on SATNAV systems. I've got the TOMTOM app (Android) with traffic and must say it has already saved me many minutes of static traffic over the last few weeks.

Only used it within 100 miles of home so far. I think you can download it and have 50 miles free per month so you can try before you buy; not sure if this allows for traffic though.

One thing I've found that if I have the brightness and volume all the way up and it checks 4G for traffic it eats my battery !

T

HI , We are driving to Kiel to catch the boat to Norway over xmas and looking for somewhere safe to park overnight between Hamburg and Kiel, We hope to be in this area around 2 in the mornig. Appreciate if anyone can recommend somewhere. Tks Rich and family.

HI , We are driving to Kiel to catch the boat to Norway over xmas and looking for somewhere safe to park overnight between Hamburg and Kiel, We hope to be in this area around 2 in the mornig. Appreciate if anyone can recommend somewhere. Tks Rich and family.

You can find some spots here
http://www.campercontact.com/en/germany.aspx?map=1

When we drove up the Hirtshals to catch the ferry up Norway we spend the night here
http://www.campercontact.com/en/ger...nsen/11600/motorhome-parking-wassermuhle.aspx
It is before Hamburg doh.

Are you shipping Kiel to Norway?

Report on your trip in june 2015
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/three-weeks-south-and-mid-norway.10354/

Last edited:
You can find some spots here
http://www.campercontact.com/en/germany.aspx?map=1

When we drove up the Hirtshals to catch the ferry up Norway we spend the night here
http://www.campercontact.com/en/ger...nsen/11600/motorhome-parking-wassermuhle.aspx
It is before Hamburg doh.

Are you shipping Kiel to Norway?

Report on your trip in june 2015
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/three-weeks-south-and-mid-norway.10354/
yes many tks for the info.mation and yes getting the boat from Kiel to Norway, So travelling from the Hook of Holland to Kiel with the family and am worried that the time i get to the Kiel area, most of the places will be closed so thought someone might had a good experience of a place with washrooms etc that we can stay overnight.

Back