Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Suggestions for 2 stops between Amsterdam and Switzerland please?

S

SimonMc

VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi,

At the start of the school summer holidays in July we're catching the ferry from Newcastle across to Amsterdam, arriving on a Sunday morning. We are booked into the lovely-looking Jungfrau campsite in Switzerland from the Tuesday night for a week, and so we need a couple of overnight stops on the way down to get us there. Ideally we'd like to stay walking distance of an interesting town or city with some culture and good food and drink :)

Do any of you have experience of this route and any suggestions please?

Thanks, Simon and Angela

What route are you taking?
We are flexible, but currently looking at maybe Trier area and then Freiburg area. It all depends on recommendations really.

Thanks, Simon and Angela

Trier is nice. I made a stop there a couple of years ago but I don’t think I stayed the night. I think I just went to the castle.

Plan to go through Luxembourg. Interesting for a walk around and the fuel is cheap. I’ve stayed there a few times and could dig out the campsite names if you want?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trier is nice. I made a stop there a couple of years ago but I don’t think I stayed the night. I think I just went to the castle.

Plan to go through Luxembourg. Interesting for a walk around and the fuel is cheap. I’ve stayed there a few times and could dig out the campsite names if you want?

Yes please, that would be really interesting thx

As mentioned above Freiburg is nice so is Offenburg but Strasbourg probably is the best. In my humble opinion.

Yes please, that would be really interesting thx

One was Camping Bon Accueil, nice place and a bus direct to the city centre right next to the campsite.

The other was Camping Mamer. Much quieter because it's further away from the city. Run by a nice Dutch couple and they have a great little restaurant onsite. It gets busy in the evenings as I think it's on the Dutch route south. I think I was the only non-Dutch guest when I was there :)

We are flexible, but currently looking at maybe Trier area and then Freiburg area. It all depends on recommendations really.

Thanks, Simon and Angela

Love Trier. Have stayed there four times.

Didn’t have a great experience at the campsite (Campingplatz Igel) August 2017. Bar staff always smoking under cover right outside the toilet block and washing up area.

But, we were in a small field, and met two really nice pilots with a little baby. They made a living repatriating sick (and dead) Germans in a small jet kitted out as an ambulance/hearse.

Cycling from the site is a dream: upstream left bank, upstream right bank, downstream left bank, downstream right bank. Four choices, with a sort of linear circular option, clockwise or anti-clockwise.

Cycling from the site is a dream: upstream left bank, upstream right bank, downstream left bank, downstream right bank. Four choices, with a sort of linear circular option, clockwise or anti-clockwise.
I forgot to mention the little wineries along the river. Sitting by the river sipping a riesling spätlese, auslese, beerenauslese, trokenbeerenauslese or an oily eiswein. Now I know German wine may not be everyone's cup of tea - and like many of my generation I have a misty recall of vile concoctions masquerading as wine with names like Blue Nun, Black Tower and Presto extra value Liebfraumilch. But a little understanding of the precise nature of German wines and their strict labelling helps immeasurably with their syrupy enjoyment on a thick August evening in the vineyard where the rotten, possibly frozen, raisin-like berries were individually picked, pressed for a tiny amount of juice, fermented and matured. However, At £476.05 a bottle for trokenbeerenauslese, Presto's extra value begins to sound like a real bargain - and has a somewhat more appealing name for the winemaker.

Last edited:
Hi Simon and Angela. We stayed at Camping Jungfrau towards the end of our European trip last year. From Switzerland, we travelled through the Alsace, along the Mosel and through Luxembourg, before arriving in the Netherlands and Amsterdam to catch the ferry to Newcastle. Looking at our log, the campsite in Luxembourg was Camping Im Aal at Esch-sur-Sure - a pleasant campsite by the river, and a short walk into the gorgeous medieval town. On the Moselle, we stayed at Camping Les Tilleuls, with a lovely pitch overlooking the river - fine for an overnight stop. The Alsace region was beautiful, but the campsite where we stayed, Camping Medeival was busy with crowded pitches, and I suspect heaving in the summer holidays. Camping Jungfrau was brilliant - pitches with amazing mountain views, lovely walks and cable car rides along the valley, and a good restaurant. Enjoy!
Heather and Howard.

One was Camping Bon Accueil, nice place and a bus direct to the city centre right next to the campsite.

The other was Camping Mamer. Much quieter because it's further away from the city. Run by a nice Dutch couple and they have a great little restaurant onsite. It gets busy in the evenings as I think it's on the Dutch route south. I think I was the only non-Dutch guest when I was there :)
I’ll second Bon Accueil and visiting Luxembourg: we were there a month ago. It’s dead easy into Luxembourg on the extremely punctual bus (pay onboard). Get off near the elevator down the cliff. Nice walk along the bend in the river to another lift up to the old town.

I’d also recommend the Stellplatz / Aire (with nice wc/showers) in Speyer on the Rhine West of Stuttgart. It’s right by a Technology museum with a jumbo jet up on 40m poles a U boat and a load of other interesting exhibits that you can see from the site & car park if you don’t want to go in. Nice walk into the lovely town centre too. It was an accidental stopover find on park4night app on the way home after our post factory visit tour.

I forgot to mention the little wineries along the river. Sitting by the river sipping a riesling spätlese, auslese, beerenauslese, trokenbeerenauslese or an oily eiswein. Now I know German wine may not be everyone's cup of tea - and like many of my generation I have a misty recall of vile concoctions masquerading as wine with names like Blue Nun, Black Tower and Presto extra value Liebfraumilch. But a little understanding of the precise nature of German wines and their strict labelling helps immeasurably with their syrupy enjoyment on a thick August evening in the vineyard where the rotten, possibly frozen, raisin-like berries were individually picked, pressed for a tiny amount of juice, fermented and matured. However, At £476.05 a bottle for trokenbeerenauslese, Presto's extra value begins to sound like a real bargain - and has a somewhat more appealing name for the winemaker.
Thanks!

Hi Simon and Angela. We stayed at Camping Jungfrau towards the end of our European trip last year. From Switzerland, we travelled through the Alsace, along the Mosel and through Luxembourg, before arriving in the Netherlands and Amsterdam to catch the ferry to Newcastle. Looking at our log, the campsite in Luxembourg was Camping Im Aal at Esch-sur-Sure - a pleasant campsite by the river, and a short walk into the gorgeous medieval town. On the Moselle, we stayed at Camping Les Tilleuls, with a lovely pitch overlooking the river - fine for an overnight stop. The Alsace region was beautiful, but the campsite where we stayed, Camping Medeival was busy with crowded pitches, and I suspect heaving in the summer holidays. Camping Jungfrau was brilliant - pitches with amazing mountain views, lovely walks and cable car rides along the valley, and a good restaurant. Enjoy!
Heather and Howard.
Thanks!

Bon acceuil campsite doesn't allow reservations? There are reports of queues to get on and the site being full in some reviews. Has anyone experienced this?

My two-penn'orth.

Thanks!

Just curious, how do diesel prices vary between Holland, Belgium, France, Luxembourg Luxembourg and Switzerland? Where do the Swiss fill up?!

Just curious, how do diesel prices vary between Holland, Belgium, France, Luxembourg Luxembourg and Switzerland? Where do the Swiss fill up?!
CountryPetrolDiesel
Austria€ 1.25€ 1.19
Belgium€ 1.38€ 1.40
Denmark€ 1.75€ 1.51
France€ 1.55€ 1.45
Germany€ 1.49€ 1.29
Hungary€ 1.25€ 1.25
Ireland€ 1.32€ 1.35
Italy€ 1.60€ 1.50
Latvia€ 1.21€ 1.14
Luxembourg€ 1.28€ 1.15
Netherlands€ 1.70€ 1.39
Norway€ 1.76€ 1.64
Poland€ 1.22€ 1.21
Portugal€ 1.49€ 1.39
Slovakia€ 1.39€ 1.27
Slovenia€ 1.31€ 1.27
Spain€ 1.35€ 1.27
Sweden€ 1.51€ 1.49
Switzerland€ 1.37€ 1.30
UK€ 1.45€ 1.50
Data from https://www.drive-alive.co.uk/fuel_prices_europe.html#Petrol and diesel prices in Europe

CountryPetrolDiesel
Austria€ 1.25€ 1.19
Belgium€ 1.38€ 1.40
Denmark€ 1.75€ 1.51
France€ 1.55€ 1.45
Germany€ 1.49€ 1.29
Hungary€ 1.25€ 1.25
Ireland€ 1.32€ 1.35
Italy€ 1.60€ 1.50
Latvia€ 1.21€ 1.14
Luxembourg€ 1.28€ 1.15
Netherlands€ 1.70€ 1.39
Norway€ 1.76€ 1.64
Poland€ 1.22€ 1.21
Portugal€ 1.49€ 1.39
Slovakia€ 1.39€ 1.27
Slovenia€ 1.31€ 1.27
Spain€ 1.35€ 1.27
Sweden€ 1.51€ 1.49
Switzerland€ 1.37€ 1.30
UK€ 1.45€ 1.50
Data from https://www.drive-alive.co.uk/fuel_prices_europe.html#Petrol and diesel prices in Europe
Brilliant information thank you!

The Swiss fill up in Germany or Austria, depending which border they live close to.

Amarillo’s list is interesting as I would agree with everything except The Swiss price. Currently around the higher end of the price list but it does depend which Canton you are in. My local is charging €1.50 I think.

I use: http://fuel-prices-europe.info/index.php?sort=6

Back