Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Paint starting to chip away on a new 6.1

Dodge1311

Dodge1311

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Hi,

Is anyone else having issues with the paint on a new 6.1 california. Mine is a month old now and already i am starting to see marks around the door handles. I appreciate this is a high wear area, but in a month the drivers door and side door are already showing chip marks at the locking point ( obviously the locks have never ever had a key in them so its not being caused by a key, nor do i wear jewellery or carry a bag. I am loath to go to the dealer to be told its wear and tear as per the response on my floor rail marks but it seems very poor that smart repairs are going to be needed so soon after collecting it.

I am being naive in assuming the paint quality would be equivalent to that of a car and just need to get used to this being something that happens to vans?

Hi,

Is anyone else having issues with the paint on a new 6.1 california. Mine is a month old now and already i am starting to see marks around the door handles. I appreciate this is a high wear area, but in a month the drivers door and side door are already showing chip marks at the locking point ( obviously the locks have never ever had a key in them so its not being caused by a key, nor do i wear jewellery or carry a bag. I am loath to go to the dealer to be told its wear and tear as per the response on my floor rail marks but it seems very poor that smart repairs are going to be needed so soon after collecting it.

I am being naive in assuming the paint quality would be equivalent to that of a car and just need to get used to this being something that happens to vans?
Photos?

Get some clear touch up laquer, (clear coat) clean with IPA.
build up the clear coat in layers over several days, clean the area before applying each layer (allowing each layer to harden - note the clear coat will shrink down as it dries so you can put the initial coat on thick.)
Indian Pale Ale ?

Looks like damage rather than a dodgy paint job?
Hi I don’t think I would dispute its damage, but I would dispute the apparent ease of damage. I drive the Audi below daily, it has done 18,000 miles and has perfect handles despite these same hands getting in and out every day. I drive the van a few times in it’s first month of ownership and have multiple instances of paint damage.image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

That does not look right to me either. Seems like whole chunks have just popped off? But it might be hard persuading VW it's poor paint? I wish you good luck.

Could it be caused by a zip on your shorts or trousers rubbing on the van when you wash the roof?

Indian Pale Ale ?
Isopropyl Alcohol

a degreasing agent

Edit:
Isopropyl alcohol is a colorless, flammable chemical compound with a strong odor. As an isopropyl group linked to a hydroxyl group, it is the simplest example of a secondary alcohol, where the alcohol carbon atom is attached to two other carbon atoms.

used in All sorts of cleaning products, including hand sanitiser (kills the C word).
very effective degreaser

Isopropyl Alcohol

a degreasing agent

Edit:
Isopropyl alcohol is a colorless, flammable chemical compound with a strong odor. As an isopropyl group linked to a hydroxyl group, it is the simplest example of a secondary alcohol, where the alcohol carbon atom is attached to two other carbon atoms.

used in All sorts of cleaning products, including hand sanitiser (kills the C word).
very effective degreaser
We used to use tonnes of that in our industrial procssses and MEK Methyl ethyl ketone which was even more effective but not great to work around.

Back