Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DIY paint chip repairs?

Borris

Borris

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Having just returned from a jolly to Yorkshire, I have discovered several large chips in the sharp end of our Cali. It's not really surprising given the current state of our road network. Years ago you could drive with your eyes on the distant road ahead but these days I find myself constantly scanning the road suface for the next huge crater. Surely this must be having an effect on road safety especially for those on two wheels. This problem is even worse at night in the rain when these deep holes are often full of water and impossible to spot. Manufacturers and dealers must be doing very nicely from a supplying replacement alloy wheels, tyres and doing steering realinements!

Anyway rant over and back to the said paint chips. My question is, Has anyone tackled chip repairs beyond just applying a touch up pen to the divot? Another way to put it would be, Do any of you fine Cali owners have any experience of doing this sort of thing properly?

Yes, I could and may still get one of those companies that do this sort of thing to sort them out for me but I would like to explore doing it myself first.

My understanding and limited experience to date is that the process is as follows:
1. Thoroughly clean the effected area.
2. Using the appropriate VW touch up kit and a very fine clean brush (not the one included in the kit), apply the paint into the chip but not on to the surrounding area. Use a magnifying glass if necessary.
3. Finish filling the hole to slightly above the surronding paint layer by applying the laquer coat, again with a fine clean brush.
4. Allow to dry for several days then examine the repair closely to ensure that after any paint shrinkage, the paint and laquer repair is still slightly above the surrounding paint layer.
5. Then using very very very fine wet and dry paper wrapped around a small block with soapy water to lubricate, gently rub down the raised chip repair until its flush with the surrounding paint surface.
6. Then use a fine cutting compound to polish the surface until the paint/laquered surface is restored to its original shine.
7. Then apply a liberal coating of quality wax and buff to a high gloss finish.

Would this be the correct way to go about these reairs?

Our van has an Acapulco Blue metallic paint finish which being metallic will always be much more difficult to match-repair. Our next Cali will probably be plain glorious cooking Candy White which in my experience is much easier to repair.

Last edited:
My advice is not to use a brush as you will always overfill. Instead, use a magnifier to see the crater better and use a pin or needle to "drop" tiny amounts of base colour to the crater without getting it over the edges.
Then when it is dry repeat the same with the clear coat.

+1 for Chipex, really does work, worth keeping a pack in with your cleaning kit

Bought my cali with a bonnet bra ,my wife kept given it don’t like that black thing on the bonnet took it off gess what got a stone chip next trip out . Got home back on for good worth the ear ache just turn me music up.

520B7F41-E79B-4EBC-999F-3BCE10D2D5BB.jpeg

Don’t you just hate driving past council grass strimmers at the roadside I always sound my horn just before them and point to my windscreen they always seem to stop strimming.

After 46k our van has lots of small chips in the colour coat. Any really big ones I just touch up to prevent any corrosion but when/if we sell it then I will take it to Chips away or similar.
Got very faint scratches on the left side, (why is it always me that moves into the hedge/ditch to get out of the way of some incompetant moron that is totally unable to judge the width of their vehicle)
So I have now stopped worrying about it or I would be spending an inordinate amount of time repairing blemishes.

Similar to Loz,

I use a cocktail stick to apply the paint

I do my own stone chips, catching them quickly is crucial to preventing corrosion, I do not worry if the repairs are a bit over filled. I use a halfords kit with the little ink pen type applicator.

I do my own stone chips, catching them quickly is crucial to preventing corrosion, I do not worry if the repairs are a bit over filled. I use a halfords kit with the little ink pen type applicator.
California bodies are galvanised and shouldn't rust, chips of course can be filled to maintain the cosmetic appearance.

California bodies are galvanised and shouldn't rust, chips of course can be filled to maintain the cosmetic appearance.

Thanks I did not know that, I can be less concerned about my stone chips now.

True but a good clout from a stone will go through the paint and the zinc galvanising layer and then you have a problem as water will gather in the hole and then can gradually creep under the galv layer so best to touch up any big ones ASAP.

The chipex kits do seem to get good reviews. Just ordered one as its 25% off at the mo. Code 25OFF

The repair chef of our specialized Dutch Cali dealer told us to use the stub site of a match, to apply paint in a chip. Just push it in, turn around a little bit to get an even surface. Let it dry two days, apply laquer and wax it. Don’t use the brush from VW, was the advise.

Chippy regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.