Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Parking - am I a van or a camper van

We have had positive experiences with council parking and the Cali - if you ask for permission before, rather than forgiveness afterwards.

Park and ride at Stratford upon Avon says no Campervans at any time, it also had a 2m something height barrier. Phoned them up asking where we could park with the Cali instead, explained we could fit under the barrier and into a car parking spot also said we just wanted to get the bus into town. The person on the phone said no problem if we could get under the barrier we could park there. Double checked with the attendant who was walking around checking the tickets and he was fine as well.

Interesting on size of vehicles being no larger than a big Merc. The new Mondeo Estate is slightly longer than a Cali and the new Audi A6 Allroad is nearly 2" longer!!!! and wider!! Audi 4938 long and Mondeo 4867. It looks like a Cali is 4892 long.
Yes, people don't realize how 'small' the Cali is do they? It's the bulk that puts them off.

Just visited Pembrokeshire for a few days. A number of council run car parks provide designated 'camper van' parking spots. Usually occupied by big motorhomes. Car park charges are £1 extra for 'camper vans'.
At camp site, I got speaking with a few motorhome owners. They think that they drive a 'camper van'. So it is confusing for everyone.

I don’t quite agree. Amsterdam just announced a policy of aiming to reduce tourism numbers. We’ll see a lot more of that, as mass tourism really becomes a thing (ain’t seen nothing yet).

Times when tourists were seen as an automatic good are coming to an end. And that includes tourists driving vans.
Further to your point about too many tourists have you seen the queue to get to, of all places, the top of Everest? Apparently two people have died just waiting in the queue!
Could not see any Calis there though!

I raise this issue with carlisle city council as they have only one car park allowing Campervan’s / motorhomes. I sent the local authority images and sizes of other vehicles showing how small the Cali actually is. The response was quite firm no Campervan’s allowed. No amount of persuasion would make them move.

If you go to settle, the car parks just say no overnight, no cooking, no sleeping. But they allow parking during the day. Carlisle city council wouldn’t even allow that. Be wary if visiting as you will receive a fine.

Don't worry about it. I find I have no problems parking up and pubs are very welcoming to vws. I suppose me downing 10 pints at the bar helps seal the deal. Just ask. As for settle mentioned above I just stayed at helwith Bridge inn for free. Great beer. Good food. Loads of parking and an overflow car park over the road with a 2.1m barrier. Perfect. Who wants to park in a car park overnight anyway unless there's a pub there?