Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Parking buddies

Big Ted

Big Ted

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
I get told off for taking my time in choosing a car parking spot.
I try to find end of row, some distance away from the masses, but more recently I prefer finding a nice parking buddy to park ‘Sinbad’ next to to keep him company.
Does anyone else do the same?9E211329-7435-4648-B180-1EC0246605D2.jpegBFAC6C05-AA17-4904-8421-3BCDBB662B04.jpeg40A4606A-6BA2-45C8-A120-CC0D0FB86926.jpegC560135A-C495-43B4-93C0-7C4DDAD88A87.jpegD74EB2BC-46C9-4DA3-A0B1-9AE3AB10EB24.jpeg

I try to find end of row, some distance away from the masses, but more recently I prefer finding a nice parking buddy to park ‘Sinbad’ next to to keep him company.
Does anyone else do the same?View attachment 52649View attachment 52650View attachment 52651View attachment 52652View attachment 52653
No, I normally forward park as close to the R side white line and close to a car on the R side such that I cannot open my door and more importantly neither can the car on the R side. Then I use the sliding door to exit. This means the car passenger cannot slam the door into my pride and joy. Has worked for the past 5 yrs.

No, I normally forward park as close to the R side white line and close to a car on the R side such that I cannot open my door and more importantly neither can the car on the R side. Then I use the sliding door to exit. This means the car passenger cannot slam the door into my pride and joy. Has worked for the past 5 yrs.
Unfortunately my passenger door got the hit, no defence from some louts.

Unfortunately my passenger door got the hit, no defence from some louts.
Normally I find there is plenty of room for a car on the passenger side to open their door wide enough. Otherwise I have been lucky.:thumb

Normally I find there is plenty of room for a car on the passenger side to open their door wide enough. Otherwise I have been lucky.:thumb
Sadly there are those who use your vehicle as a bump stop when they open their door although most carparks have too narrow boxes for today's 'fat' cars and the trend for 4x4 styles.

I regularly see 2 other Californias at work, never met the owners though. They may well be on here. :)

I recently parked in a retail park, I parked well away from everyone with no one on either side. When we got back I was surprised to see a car parked right next to us and a couple run down the car park and say “we are parked next to you, do you want us to move so you can get in?” I said “no it’s fine, there’s loads of room” we got in the van and drove away.

A few days later I got an email from my insurance company, somebody was claiming that I had opened my side door in the retail park and had scratched all down the side of their car!
The insurance company immediately increased my premium by £200 to cover this ‘incident’! While they investigated the claim.

It has taken me almost 3 months to prove that the incident didn’t happen and the claim was a complete fraud.

I still fighting to get my £200 and no claims status back and no action is being taken against the fraudulent claimant.

Last edited:
My van is the blue one it took me a long time to park as this spot was not easy, the white one had parked in my favourite spot at this shopping centre.

2 vans.jpg

Wow, that's pretty scummy behaviour!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

My van is the blue one it took me a long time to park as this spot was not easy, the white one had parked in my favourite spot at this shopping centre.

View attachment 52672
Now I would have reversed in next to the White one , close, and exit via sliding door thus avoiding someone parking in the middle. Both of you could then use your sliding doors.

Now I would have reversed in next to the White one , close, and exit via sliding door thus avoiding someone parking in the middle. Both of you could then use your sliding doors.
I had considered that but it was more difficult to get into the other spot and my sliding door will only open from the outside, still need to fix it. I went into shopping centre and took a coffee back to van. As I set there with the door open the other driver came but was not very talkative, not Welsh!

Last edited:
LD5Q - Shadow Blue

I wasn't sure of it at first, but now I really like the colour.
When polished up & clean the metallic fleck catches the sun well.

Here's a moody shot of him with his new gold wheels !!!
View attachment 52697
very pretty colour. I figured it was not the current 'starlight' as that is almost black i think. thanks for that.

I recently parked in a retail park, I parked well away from everyone with no one on either side. When we got back I was surprised to see a car parked right next to us and a couple run down the car park and say “we are parked next to you, do you want us to move so you can get in?” I said “no it’s fine, there’s loads of room” we got in the van and drove away.

A few days later I got an email from my insurance company, somebody was claiming that I had opened my side door in the retail park and had scratched all down the side of their car!
The insurance company immediately increased my premium by £200 to cover this ‘incident’! While they investigated the claim.

It has taken me almost 3 months to prove that the incident didn’t happen and the claim was a complete fraud.

I still fighting to get my £200 and no claims status back and no action is being taken against the fraudulent claimant.
This is an example of why i have Thinkware camera "front and back" working in parking mode. It would also have recorded as you drove away helping to disprove their claim They may not have even tried if they saw cameras on the van.

Does anyone else do the same?View attachment 52649View attachment 52650View attachment 52651View attachment 52652View attachment 52653

I chuckled to myself reading your post... I'm the exact same when it comes to parking... will drive to the quiet end of the car park to avoid having to park beside other cars...
We were on our first trip away when it was only 4 weeks old when some nice person decided to open their car door with their foot and put a dint into the side of our brand new Cali €75,000.. It tainted our first holiday.... it's not nice to come back and find someone has damaged your pride and joy...
To be fair it looks like your in good company with like minded people from your pics!!

I chuckled to myself reading your post... I'm the exact same when it comes to parking... will drive to the quiet end of the car park to avoid having to park beside other cars...
We were on our first trip away when it was only 4 weeks old when some nice person decided to open their car door with their foot and put a dint into the side of our brand new Cali €75,000.. It tainted our first holiday.... it's not nice to come back and find someone has damaged your pride and joy...
To be fair it looks like your in good company with like minded people from your pics!!
Never works for us, park out of the way in a quiet spot completely boxed in when we come back.

Seems to me that as soon as I park in a remote part of the car park, my Cali becomes magnetic because however many empty spaces there are, others park immediately beside me!!
So I generally try to find a parallel parking space where it isn't possible for someone to park beside me.

"One less door to ding" is a common motto and while our legs still work we don't mind a walk across a car park!
Some while ago I parked at Exeter services, on the way to Cornwall. It was about midnight. The car park could probably accommodate 1000 cars. We were virtually the only ones there. Someone drove right up next to us, so close they could get out of their car. If the car park is busy I will find the furthest corner away from everyone.

I start out by heading towards the empty car park corner furthest away, but on my way there I see a space calling out to me and I head towards that, only to see another space even closer to the shop so now I swing towards that one. And so on. Takes me ages to park.

No, I don't know why. :headbang :sorry

Back