Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Parking sensor issue.

BA47 crew

BA47 crew

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi. Parking sensor issue. T5.1 2011 se
Engage reverse, loud rear tone from sensor speaker lastin about 5 seconds then silent. Parking sensor button flashing. All rear sensors are clicking quite clearly. All front sensors are clicking although a lot quieter. But no sensor alert of any kind. Rear camera working. Any suggestions are welcome.

Did you get this fixed?
If not this may help ...

Based on the description there could be a faulty (front) warning buzzer 8E0919279 under the dash. Reading the fault codes with VCDS or other suitable tester would tell much more.

Did you get this fixed?
If not this may help ...
Hi,
No I didn’t manage to get to the bottom of it yet. I’ve tested the rear sensors and they are all fine. Heading to my mats on Friday. He has VDCS so I’ll know then. Thanks for you response. Cheers

It doesn’t sound like it will apply in your case but when the parking sensors on my Volvo V60 stopped working instead of taking up the Volvo garage’s offer to charge a lot to look into it I sprayed them all with a generous amount of WD40 (a couple of times). Hey presto they started working again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi. Parking sensor issue. T5.1 2011 se
Engage reverse, loud rear tone from sensor speaker lastin about 5 seconds then silent. Parking sensor button flashing. All rear sensors are clicking quite clearly. All front sensors are clicking although a lot quieter. But no sensor alert of any kind. Rear camera working. Any suggestions are welcome.
FIXED!
I had the same problem this week an intermittent error on screen when selecting reverse then after a couple of days just a loud 5 second beep every time reverse was selected and no display info.

Plugged in my OBDeleven and this showed an intermittent fault and a open/short circuit on the rear centre left sensor. Turn on the ignition and selected reverse then went the the rear sensor and sure enough the centre left sensor was not clicking like the others.

Screenshot_20220629-113213.png

Thought I'd see if I could remove the sensor without removing the bumper and luckily there was just enough room once pulling on the bumper to release the two catches on the sensor with a screwdriver and push it back towards the chassis from outside the bumper.

IMG_20220630_133435677~2.jpg

Once out I lifted the red latch to separate the connector from the sensor. The terminals all looked clean on the sensor so I then cleaned up the connector and wiring then saw a small abrasion on the centre wire, see pic, after removing a little plastic off the wire and taking a picture I could see the wire was actually broken. My Cali is a 2010 T5.1 with no work done on the rear so the wire must have been slowly rubbing for years.

IMG_20220630_105113308_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220630_104612718_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220630_105204514_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220630_105715299.jpg
There was just enough wire exposed to cut it, strip it back, clean and then solder the wires back together, fully insulate it and protect it from further damage, see pic.

IMG_20220630_113852359_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220630_120213984_HDR.jpg

Reconnected the sensor to the connector, locked the red tab and retested, all now working perfectly! Bit fiddly trying to reinsert the sensor and connector from the rear as the wiring goes through the chassis box section so put a long cable tie around it to avoid it disappearing into the chassis. All worked fine and now securely back in the bumper.

Cleared the fault with the OBDeleven and checked all sensors were now working on the live data then put the van into reverse and now had a fully working reversing system with dash display!

Screenshot_20220630-123433.png
IMG_20220630_122035989_HDR.jpg

Hope this helps others will similar problems.

For reference... 2010 T5.1SE
Parking Sensor Part No. 7H0919275E
Parking Sensor Connector Part No. 8K0973708 (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185934151609)

Last edited:
I’ve found the issue with our van. Front speaker faulty. New one arrived today. I’ll replace it and test again. Fingers crossed that’ll sort it.

New front sensor speaker fitted….eventually!! Tight spot. Sausage fingers do not help? All good now though.

Hi @BA47 crew
I think I have the same issue as you although I didn't ask the guys at the garage what fault code came up. They just said that it was "...a parking siren error".
Which error did you get? Do you know if there's a back parking siren as well as the front one you replaced?
Steve
New front sensor speaker fitted….eventually!! Tight spot. Sausage fingers do not help? All good now though.

Hi - what is the OBDeleven? I have a T5.1 SE with this exact same parking sensor issue. 3rd one that's gone in recent years and hasn't been a cheap garage repair!

OBDeleven is a diagnostic OBD2 dongle that you can see and reset fault codes on your vehicle and make some code adaptions much like the Carista OBD2 dongle, both sold by Amazon etc. saved me a fortune on DIY repairs :)

In order to replace a central front parking sensor, do i need to remove the front bumper?

2013 Caravelle, OEM PDC

I've been looking for a DIY but couldn't find one.
Thanks!

Back