Parking Ticket

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I saw the sad sight of a Beach by the beach at the Ferryboat Inn, Hayling Island being issued with a parking ticket. It was parked on the stoney and grass verge between the double yellow lines and the fence.

People often mistakenly believe that parking off the carriageway outside of yellow lines is lawful. Even if private land it is usually considered to form part of the highway.

I don't agree with you. Double yellow lines mean no stopping on the marked road (and...you cannot get a ticket for being on private land)

I saw the sad sight of a Beach by the beach at the Ferryboat Inn, Hayling Island being issued with a parking ticket. It was parked on the stoney and grass verge between the double yellow lines and the fence.

People often mistakenly believe that parking off the carriageway outside of yellow lines is lawful. Even if private land it is usually considered to form part of the highway.

Even if private land it is usually considered to form part of the highway.

My drive is adjacent to the highway - no parking tickets so far.

I got a ticket at the same spot about 40 years ago! Trotted down to the cop shop to put my case that I was parked on the sand between the fence and double yellows, so wasn’t on the highway..... and still got a ticket! Tend to steer clear of Hayling due to the traffic.

I don't agree with you. Double yellow lines mean no stopping on the marked road (and...you cannot get a ticket for being on private land)
Don’t think the land in question is private (I got a ticket on the same spot) it is what would be pavement normally.

I got a ticket at the same spot about 40 years ago! Trotted down to the cop shop to put my case that I was parked on the sand between the fence and double yellows, so wasn’t on the highway..... and still got a ticket! Tend to steer clear of Hayling due to the traffic.

Didn't you explain that your horse was only grazing for a minute or two and that your postilion had gone for a wee?

Last edited:
Don’t think the land in question is private (I got a ticket on the same spot) it is what would be pavement normally.
Double yellows apply all the way to the highway/road boundary and any appeal will be dismissed.

Well as an ex member of the local constabulary (not Hayling Island btw) the law must have changed. I would be appealing it if I got a ticket.

I have to say that even when I joined the ‘Job’ back in the 70’s we were taught that the Carriageway/Highway includes the footpaths or pavements and is part of the ‘Road’, and is all subject to the Road Traffic Acts/Regs etc. The OP does not say the vehicle is parked on ‘private’ land, it’s appears to be parked on the grass verge/stoney area between the double yellow lines and fence, (possibly the pavement/footpath). It is said to be a ‘parking ticket’ which may not be correct. It may well be a fixed penalty for other offences such as ‘unecessary obstruction’ of the footpath or similar. I wouldn’t be too critical of the enforcement officer, they are only as good as the training they receive.
The police still retain the powers to enforce these parking offences but the lead on it is normally the local councils, hence the enforcement officers. I think most people know when they are taking the p**s when it comes to parking vehicles.

Unfortunately the ticketing is correct as I parked With a similar Yellow line situation and traffic warden told me it was illegal to park the inside of the double yellows.

Private land can and often does form part of the highway. When highways are adopted, the council does not always take ownership of the land.

I went passed there this week, a car was parked on the same spot thought no you will get a ticket there.
Everywhere is double yellows or pay and display no chance of a free spot!

I went passed there this week, a car was parked on the same spot thought no you will get a ticket there.
Everywhere is double yellows or pay and display no chance of a free spot!

I was parked here for free - at the end of the Hayling Billy line.

We cycled around Langstone Harbour, crossing at the ferry then at the bridge.

BeatrixKiddo you need to check your old books (try your old Wilkinson’s Road Traffic Law!).
The legal definition of a road and a highway are different depending on whether you are using the Highways Act or the Road Traffic Act (yawn). A Road includes the land up to the wall or fence including verges. I can think of about eight different bits of legislation relating to parking on or near a road. Of course a civil enforcement officer only deals with a very few. Best advice is to keep off grass verges especially if there are yellow lines around which means that at some point the local authority want to restrict stopping at that point.

Dear [Amarillo]

PENALTY CHARGE NOTICE KP22001676
Acceptance of Challenge

The Traffic Management Act 2004 - s78; Civil Enforcement of Parking Contraventions (England) General Regulations 2007; Civil Enforcement of Parking Contraventions (England) Representations and Appeals Regulations 2007

Thank you for your challenge received 17th August 2020 in connection with the above Notice.

I have noted your comments and confirm that the Penalty Charge Notice has been cancelled due to inadequate signage.

Yours sincerely
Lisa Carr
Case Officer
Case Management (Place)
Folkestone & Hythe District Council

Back