Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Partially wound-out awning - storm resistance?

RockinNRollin

RockinNRollin

Where to next?
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Just thinking about ventilation; with three in our van it can get quite condensation-laden by morning. We did an experiment with the sliding windows open a few cm on each side and there was no condensation at all the next morning, but clearly this isn't going to work in wet weather! If the awning is only wound out a short distance, say 0.5m or so, but still using tie-downs, do we reckon it'll be pretty storm proof or still a bit risky? It's the obvious "built in" solution to a rain guard for the side window.

We have the Brandrup Airscreen which isn't cheap (£70ish) but works well and is good quality. It is a bit cumbersome to store and I won't buy another for the other side window, partly due to storage and partly because I don't think we need both windows open. I had made my own for our previous van which worked just as well and cost a few pounds in material.

Just thinking about ventilation; with three in our van it can get quite condensation-laden by morning. We did an experiment with the sliding windows open a few cm on each side and there was no condensation at all the next morning, but clearly this isn't going to work in wet weather! If the awning is only wound out a short distance, say 0.5m or so, but still using tie-downs, do we reckon it'll be pretty storm proof or still a bit risky? It's the obvious "built in" solution to a rain guard for the side window.
Yes, do it often. Legs pegged, tie down and material wound in to be taught. One leg higher than the other.

You can also get Metal, louvered with fly screen, inserts for front windows or side windows.

We have the Brandrup Airscreen which isn't cheap (£70ish) but works well and is good quality. It is a bit cumbersome to store and I won't buy another for the other side window, partly due to storage and partly because I don't think we need both windows open. I had made my own for our previous van which worked just as well and cost a few pounds in material.
+1 for the Airscreen. Use it all the time.

Wind deflectors on driver / passenger window work well, as allow ventilation but stop rain.

Wind deflectors on driver / passenger window work well, as allow ventilation but stop rain.
This works perfectly for me. Project camper even offer the option of a folddown section at the top to allow for ventilation when covering the windows.

I'm not a fan of wind deflectors unfortunately; my plan is to fabricate my own air-screen out of a sheet of polycarbonate I've got in the garage and some suction cups, then use the awning on the other side (with the benefit of a little bit of shelter when coming in from the loo etc.. at night if it's raining.

I'm not a fan of wind deflectors unfortunately
Curious why not. I don't like them on cars as they tend to be dark and look weird. On the Cali the clear or smoke ones are practically invisible. Besides keeping things more ventilated at night they also prevent rain water dripping inside onto the door cards and switches when the window is opened. As a security feature they also hide the fact a window is cracked.

1693484900924.jpeg
If you want to put the awning out you can use these yellow webbing straps that go over the bars of the awning and are attached to long spikes into the ground. As @WelshGas says have the awning a bit tilted so the rain doesn't "pond" on the awning and then stretch or collapse it. Obviously don't have the awning out as far as we did here. Try to make sure the rear of the van is facing into the wind so the air blows over to roof. There are a lot of threads on here about the effect of strong winds on the roof but try to minimise the wind effect as much as possible. It will also lessen the amount of rain being blown at the windows.

Hope this helps.

Simon

Yeah we do have the Thule tie downs. Related note, I've always used the tie-downs at an angle of about 20 degrees to the vertical (stake like pegs at 45 degrees into the ground so they are solid) but always parallel with the van, i.e. the angle away from the awning front to back of the van, but they aren't pulled out away from the van. Am I doing it wrong?

You can also get Metal, louvered with fly screen, inserts for front windows or side windows.
Yes, we've used these and can recommend. Good for cooking when it's pouring down too. Not cheap but sturdy, fits T5/T6. Shop around, cometimes for sale in the forum adverts.

We had the cooker side window open the minimum amount of a couple of inches during a storm in France a month ago. We had the fly screen in place. Tbh not a not of rain landed on the glass cooker top. We often have a tea towel on the hook there. If I had just put that on the glass top it would have caught what little water there was.

Last edited:
Yeah we do have the Thule tie downs. Related note, I've always used the tie-downs at an angle of about 20 degrees to the vertical (stake like pegs at 45 degrees into the ground so they are solid) but always parallel with the van, i.e. the angle away from the awning front to back of the van, but they aren't pulled out away from the van. Am I doing it wrong?
We haven’t used the awning very much but when we have it made sense to me to angle the tie downs at about 30 to 45 degrees and bisect the corner angles (if that makes sense when reading this)……….

We haven’t used the awning very much but when we have it made sense to me to angle the tie downs at about 30 to 45 degrees and bisect the corner angles (if that makes sense when reading this)……….
It does make sense.

Maybe get an Air-Safe which allows you to securely leave the tailgate slightly ajar.

Using my practice of everything having dual purpose I have mounted a privacy/shower room on the passenger side awning rail. This is positioned by the ‘kitchen' sliding window. It has a zip down hatch which when used for its original purpose is handy for passing out shower gel etc. When sleeping and needing ventilation the combo of the open window and zippered hatch ensures a nice airflow (but sheltered from rain) with the opposite window opened and covered by the wind out awning as suggested.

Works a treat with the caveat that it’s not practical for wild camping unless truly in the wilds!

We do this a lot if there is a high wind risk, with guy ropes done we've never had an issue.

I agree with other contributors, you shouldn’t have an issue with what youre planning. We sometimes want a bit of an outdoor shelter for muddy boots or even some outdoor cooking when rainy and stormy. In this situation we use an Outwell Fallcrest tarp that connects to the awning (we use a figure of 8 strip on the top edge of the awning so the door opening isn’t impeded). That doesn’t pose any risk to the awning itself. You also get a pair of king poles with the Fallcrest tarp, making it more useful as a shelter.

IMG_4575.jpeg

IMG_4574.jpeg

IMG_4558.jpeg

IMG_4559.jpeg

Last edited:
I have now also created a window guard for the other side. Despite the protests from the wife, I always knew it was worth hanging onto that old sheet of Perspex. Some £8 threaded suction cups from Amazon and boom, a crude but hopefully effective solution!

IMG_8573.jpeg

I agree with other contributors, you shouldn’t have an issue with what youre planning. We sometimes want a bit of an outdoor shelter for muddy boots or even some outdoor cooking when rainy and stormy. In this situation we use an Outwell Fallcrest tarp that connects to the awning (we use a figure of 8 strip on the top edge of the awning so the door opening isn’t impeded). That doesn’t pose any risk to the awning itself. You also get a pair of king poles with the Fallcrest tarp, a king it more useful as a shelter.

View attachment 113804

View attachment 113805

View attachment 113806

View attachment 113807
I like this idea. I have a Cysgod front shade that connects to the awning rail in the same way. I’ve hardly ever used it, strikes me I could use it the same way as you use your Outwell tarp by attaching some guy lines.

I like this idea. I have a Cysgod front shade that connects to the awning rail in the same way. I’ve hardly ever used it, strikes me I could use it the same way as you use your Outwell tarp by attaching some guy lines.
100% you can. We’ve done this on 3 sites this “summer” where we haven’t had our drive away. So useful when it’s raining, and about 10 minutes to set up.

Back