Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First adventure…lots of lessons!

Sounds like you had a brilliant time, lots to learn but that’s the fun.

For this one:
7. Don’t put your tea and coffee in the lower left cupboard if you’re sleeping downstairs. You can’t get to it in the morning!

It took me twenty plus years of campervanning to realise the easiest thing in the morning is to fill the kettle the night before, and leave it out on the worksurface plus teabags and mugs, ready to go.

Have a great summer!
Agree plan your morning cuppa the night before, have it laid out ready to switch on.

Had our first trip in the new Cali at the weekend and thought I would share our thoughts!

We decided to stay relatively local and keep it to a couple of nights as we knew that we were bound to learn a lot of lessons on our first outing! Turns out it was the right thing to do and we will be much more informed for our future, longer voyages.

So in no particular order this is what we learned…..

1. The Cali is a great vehicle to drive and for its size / weight gives pretty good mpg. I used to have a caravelle around 10 years ago and they really have matured. Surprised how well it holds the road and also they are pretty good down the bumpy tracks!
  2. Levelling ramps are a must have! Relatively easy to get the van onto them, although with the DSG you need to make use of the handbrake as well to stop rolling back down before you can get on the foot brake! I love the levelling feature on the screen. Very helpful! Once you are on the levelling ramps it’s a real pain rotating the drivers chair as you have to take the handbrake off to turn the chair around…….think a set of chocks would be good here as a bit tricky keeping footbrake on to avoid loading the gearbox in park, while turning a chair! Any tips appreciated!
  3. External thermal screen covers are really good at blacking out the van. Much better than the internal built in blinds…..although a big dry bag to put them in if it rained is a good idea!
  4. The upstairs bed is comfy and not to bad to get in and out of when you get the knack. The canvas is very dark with the windows shut too. Not so great on the soundproofing though if you have thoughtless people on the site that let their kids shout and scream until 1am! It’s also a bit unsettling if you are in the middle of a big lightening storm! Is it safe?!
  5. The downstairs bed is great with the Vango California rock and roll inflatable mattress on it….as long as you just let it self inflate and don’t put more air into it which makes it way to hard! The bed is a little on the narrow side for two adults. Lots of crashing against cupboards when turning over!
  6. Sleeping downstairs steams up the van! However a Karcher window vac is utterly brilliant!
  7. Don’t put your tea and coffee in the lower left cupboard if you’re sleeping downstairs. You can’t get to it in the morning!
  8. Cadac’s are brilliant…so easy to clean…but we knew that before getting the van.
  9. Don’t forget a rubber mallet! Awning tie downs are hard to peg out with just your hands!
  10. The hinges used for the fridge lid are rubbish. Our glass it coming adrift and wobbling about already…….being replaced under warranty. Anyone else had this issue? Think either lid is too heavy or hinge to stiff so too much stress on it.
  11. The pop top doesn’t leak in a downpour. Sadly my rear boot seal does and water drips on your head when sleeping downstairs…….another warranty job!
  12. The fly screens are ok, unless its raining and if you want to lower the blinds.
  13. Get a bug light for inside just before going to bed. I got eaten alive!
  14. The fridge likes to freeze things on anything above 3!
  15. Running the fridge etc barely seems to use any power, after 2 days and 2 nights we still had almost a full charge…..i guess you could almost do a week off grid?
  16. Nothing useful fits in the little slide out window blind / spice rack!
  17. Kitchen towel is your friend!
  18. Must plan food a bit better. Too much of what we didn’t need and not enough of what we did!
  19. Two nights away is just too short! Closely coupled with…we don’t get enough annual leave!

I think that’s about it! Overall we loved our new Cali and can’t wait to escape again soon. Perhaps a little further afield next time!

View attachment 94964
I’ll be picking up my Ocean next week after waiting nearly 15 months, so thanks for a few pointers

Had our first trip in the new Cali at the weekend and thought I would share our thoughts!

We decided to stay relatively local and keep it to a couple of nights as we knew that we were bound to learn a lot of lessons on our first outing! Turns out it was the right thing to do and we will be much more informed for our future, longer voyages.

1. The Cali is a great vehicle to drive and for its size / weight gives pretty good mpg. I used to have a caravelle around 10 years ago and they really have matured. Surprised how well it holds the road and also they are pretty good down the bumpy tracks!
  2. Levelling ramps are a must have! Relatively easy to get the van onto them, although with the DSG you need to make use of the handbrake as well to stop rolling back down before you can get on the foot brake! I love the levelling feature on the screen. Very helpful! Once you are on the levelling ramps it’s a real pain rotating the drivers chair as you have to take the handbrake off to turn the chair around…….think a set of chocks would be good here as a bit tricky keeping footbrake on to avoid loading the gearbox in park, while turning a chair! Any tips appreciated!
  3. External thermal screen covers are really good at blacking out the van. Much better than the internal built in blinds…..although a big dry bag to put them in if it rained is a good idea!
  4. The upstairs bed is comfy and not to bad to get in and out of when you get the knack. The canvas is very dark with the windows shut too. Not so great on the soundproofing though if you have thoughtless people on the site that let their kids shout and scream until 1am! It’s also a bit unsettling if you are in the middle of a big lightening storm! Is it safe?!
  5. The downstairs bed is great with the Vango California rock and roll inflatable mattress on it….as long as you just let it self inflate and don’t put more air into it which makes it way to hard! The bed is a little on the narrow side for two adults. Lots of crashing against cupboards when turning over!
  6. Sleeping downstairs steams up the van! However a Karcher window vac is utterly brilliant!
  8. Cadac’s are brilliant…so easy to clean…but we knew that before getting the van.
  9. Don’t forget a rubber mallet! Awning tie downs are hard to peg out with just your hands!
  10. The hinges used for the fridge lid are rubbish. Our glass it coming adrift and wobbling about already…….being replaced under warranty. Anyone else had this issue? Think either lid is too heavy or hinge to stiff so too much stress on it.
  11. The pop top doesn’t leak in a downpour. Sadly my rear boot seal does and water drips on your head when sleeping downstairs…….another warranty job!
  12. The fly screens are ok, unless its raining and if you want to lower the blinds.
  15. Running the fridge etc barely seems to use any power, after 2 days and 2 nights we still had almost a full charge…..i guess you could almost do a week off grid?
  18. Must plan food a bit better. Too much of what we didn’t need and not enough of what we did!
  19. Two nights away is just too short! Closely coupled with…we don’t get enough annual leave!

I think that’s about it! Overall we loved our new Cali and can’t wait to escape again soon. Perhaps a little further afield next time!

View attachment 94964
Very nice van. What wheels are those, I am always planning to change mine from the standard ones. Hammer instead of rubber mallet. Never could see the point of a rubber hammer. The rubber absorbs a lot of the energy. They eventually break up anyway. I replaced my matress with a 5 cm Duvalay topper, takes up far less space, and just as comfy. We always sleep downstair, never had a problem with the size of the bed ever though we have a super kingsize at home. Tea towels - true, plus kitchen rolls and rubbish bags - a must have. Small slide out shelf unit, spare torch batteries, spectacles, clip on torch etc. No such thing as 'not useful' when it comes to storage space.

The rear tailgate seal leaks and drips on your head when debris fill the tiny lip on it. Dust it off, should be fine. Or at least rule it out before they rip off the original.

Yes, ear plugs.
I sleep on my side and haven’t found a comfortable ear plug.
Re ear plugs, years ago I ordered a sample set of various different types of earplugs online, tried them all out, found out which ones suited me best, and have been using them ever since.

Weve just done a 3 week tour of Cornwall. Our 1st proper trip after a few 2 nights here and there.
Weve never used the levelling chocks till now but very glad we had them. Was a bit windy 1 night so had to park with the tail to the wind which meant a slight slope. Weve found storing them in the chairs in the tailgate works well.

We also fill the kettle and leave the coffee and mugs out the night before.

We have the fly zapper/night light too but ours is solar charged or usb. Great bit of kit. Can stand upside down and be used as a torch too. I put it in the dashboard cup holder to recharge via solar.

1 extra tip is don't pack white clothes . Washing machines on sites are expensive to use so best take clothes that can all go in 1 wash.

We haven't needed the karcher this trip as we leave the window open slightly if sleeping downstairs. We have the wind deflectors so no rain gets in. However we use it alot during winter trips.

Loved our 1st proper holiday and planning our next.

Enjoy

Re ear plugs, years ago I ordered a sample set of various different types of earplugs online, tried them all out, found out which ones suited me best, and have been using them ever since.
Which ones were they…?

The biggest issue I have with my California is external noise whilst sleeping in the pop top.
I’ve tried all sorts, can’t seem to get on with ear buds and sleeping.
Possibly the only reason I might change to a tin-top van at some point in the future…
I have the same problem and tried these which work well and are comfortable when sleeping on my side. At £21 they are a bit pricey for a couple of bits of latex!

View attachment 94964
We picked our van up 2 months ago and have been through a similar learning experience.
The glass had also come detached on our sink cover. It was repaired under warranty by a mobile VW repair man on the second attempt. The first one was also defective on receipt!

Very nice van. What wheels are those, I am always planning to change mine from the standard ones. Hammer instead of rubber mallet. Never could see the point of a rubber hammer. The rubber absorbs a lot of the energy. They eventually break up anyway. I replaced my matress with a 5 cm Duvalay topper, takes up far less space, and just as comfy. We always sleep downstair, never had a problem with the size of the bed ever though we have a super kingsize at home. Tea towels - true, plus kitchen rolls and rubbish bags - a must have. Small slide out shelf unit, spare torch batteries, spectacles, clip on torch etc. No such thing as 'not useful' when it comes to storage space.
Agree on the hammer, I’ve always taken a lump hammer…great for getting rock pegs in. Takes up less space than a rubber mallet too, even if it is heavier.

Agree on the hammer, I’ve always taken a lump hammer…great for getting rock pegs in. Takes up less space than a rubber mallet too, even if it is heavier.
I prefer a decent claw hammer - it helps getting the pegs back out again.

Which ones were they…?
3M E.A.R. Classic. If you buy eg fifty pairs at once online they're pretty reasonable and you can re-use them several times. (eg 250 pairs for £36). I find them much more comfortable than the softer type.

Someone on here somewhere suggested the Looper ear plugs.
They just arrived today.

View attachment 94964
Loving all the lessons, number 7 just experienced something similar on our first weekend

Back