Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pas Du Nord, Calais area for Easter

Have you got the App park4night ?

We found a place like you've described just outside Ypres
with that App.

Lots of trouble in that area as the French douaniers are doing actions to test how it wil be from april on , xtra borderchecks are causing km of traffic jams the last few days .

Lots of trouble in that area as the French douaniers are doing actions to test how it wil be from april on , xtra borderchecks are causing km of traffic jams the last few days .

Thanks -- which area exactly please?

As per title above where you are planning to go...

As per title above where you are planning to go...
-

Ok, you're right it's probably best avoiding areas near Calais, but I am planning to be a good hour south of Calais, probably somewhere near Marquenterre as suggested by @TwoDogs

Hopefully that will be away from most of the troubles, if there are any.

-

Ok, you're right it's probably best avoiding areas near Calais, but I am planning to be a good hour south of Calais, probably somewhere near Marquenterre as suggested by @TwoDogs

Hopefully that will be away from most of the troubles, if there are any.

, only to still have to learn the Ch'ti now:

Don't worry, you'll have a great time! ;)

excellent video - thanks --

Didn’t know they had the film subtitled in english ( also not sure if the translated humor works), but it’s a great funny way of introduction to the Nord-Pas-de-Calais, also for your kids!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Yes the subtitles help - I can understand normal French but that Chti is something else! Do they speak like that in Belgium?

Yes the subtitles help - I can understand normal French but that Chti is something else! Do they speak like that in Belgium?

No, this is really very specific, I don’t even understand it myself. Very nice people, even while suffering under their national-joke status.

Last edited:
I tend to think Kent is so much nicer than Pas-du-Nord-du-flat-and-grey-and-cold-du-Calais, or whatever it’s called.

Stick your foot in for a couple of hours and head south.

I tend to agree with this. Having lived in Kent all of my life the Nord par de Calais region is just next door. Whilst it does have places of interest, IMO it's one of the least interesting parts of that wonderful country. Consequently I'd much prefer a weekend in Kent! However that's purely my opinion.

If your still keen then you could visit Le Touquet for the beach and possibly nearby Montreuil which is quite an interesting town. The old town of Boulogne-sur-Mer is a good place to eat and the coast road from Calais to Boulogne is a nice drive. You could always head for Normandy.

Hellow
We're just arrived from our 4 day mini-trip at Nord-Pas-de-Calais yesterday. Yes, there are huge traffic jams due to actions from the French customs & trucks piling up until Belgium... but only at the highway from Belgium to Calais so if you don't come from Belgium to Calais, you'll be fine ;) (Don't know how the status is at Calais ferry terminal)
Is it dull over there? Don't think so but each his own opinion. The D940 is a beautiful route witch starts at Calais and passes little villages like Sangatte, Wissant, Audresselles, Ambleteuse (where we stayed at a farm with a great view, don't know if you can put a tent but you can ask), Wimereux and then the city Boulogne-Sur-Mer (with Nausicaá national sea centre) and Le Touquet-Paris-Plage (posh).
'Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis' is a great movie! :Stig Some say to fully appreciate the movie and by extention the area, you should probably be called Jean-René, drink coffee from a bowl and eat a lot of garlic. And know how in the rest of France look at the Nord-Pas-De-Calais region in the far north of the country, for most French people a somewhat curious region where it always rains.
:bananadance2
But we like it. And it's well known for its fruit de mer.
Like Auberg-ine said: Don't worry, you'll have a great time!
Greetings
Calibusje

Last edited:
Funny you should say that - first trip out in van included Port Talbot

1A669C64-A2A3-43D5-835B-C7E2BCA34EEC.jpeg

We went to The Hague last year and arrived late at night so booked into the automated section of www.campingwestende.be - a very easy place to get to (in Belgium but very close to France) and perfect to rock up to without disturbing anyone.

Anyway, they also have a larger park with a swimming pool, play area, etc, and the town and beach are impressive and an easy walk away. We happened to be traveling without our boys (3+8) at that time, but have earmarked it for a future journey with them.