Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Passive deadlock problem

ChrisandPenney52

ChrisandPenney52

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Our Pride and Joy ('08 130) has started to lock itself when it shouldn't. From fiddling and testing it appears that the driver's door sensor has failed so that opening the door isn't stopping the system re deadlocking automatically after 30 seconds. Clearly this is at best expensive (us outside, keys inside) or at worst very dangerous (us deadlocked inside, keys outside). Pride and Joy is going to the dealers on Wednesday for them to check out. I don't think I'm the only person who's had this problem. If you've had any direct experience of this and/or how it was fixed could you post or PM me?

Chris

Solution, which I sincerely hope works at the price, was to replace the driver's door lock, part number W3B2 837 016 AA - £330 including labour and VAT. It was apparently not sending an 'unlock' signal to the central locking control unit. The dealer reported that a Caddy owner had had the same problem, so seems to be a known issue

Let's hope so Chris. Still £330 you would rather not be spending :thumb

Did exactly the same hung to me very cold night in Battle caravan club site, near zero.
All my credit cards and keys were in the Cali, the keys were even in the ignition, and I was outside in the cold. I didn't have any phone numbers on me so the Warden called the Aa as my bank card covers rescue, and they rang VW assist, who sent the RAC. I nought there would be some sophisticated way to get the car to behave itself, but he taped up the door, got some long old bits of wire and coat hangers ad wiggled the wire in over 45 minutes to press the unlock key on the key fob that was still in the ignition. It's something apparently about leaving keys in the ignition and going out the side door , then shutting he side door the system deadlocks..... Since then I always leave the drivers or passenger door open if I go out of the vehicle leaving the keys in the ignition, alternatively I take he keys with me in a pocket evening if doing something minor eg. Putting up the awning. I absolutely don't want to be caught out again, thank God I was on a Caravan Club site that night.

New DSG 180

Yes, it makes you paranoid doesn't it - I'm doing much the same now. I wonder if anyone else has had any problems?

I've had this problem a few times with VAG cars, including a Seat Leon I couldn't lock because it always thought the drivers door was open. The same sensor going fault the other way I guess.

Although not surprising on an older car, it's disappointing on a newer vehicle.