Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Patio awning

un oeuf is un oeuf - The jokes on this thread are positively “fowl”
please will someone “poulet “ it all together :D

I found some more scrapes in the enamel coating.
87561ef02f5b768649746b2bcf5d4f14.jpg

eeb62c4d413f0bec236efacbe230b9e8.jpg

1cdda28b26a8ae9cf51c8a42cb9b7367.jpg

5b64b1ba1468e73bd547a95ef3001b0e.jpg

2ebab56c5fa3d46d04bc1eaaec94610a.jpg

I think that I’m now looking at about 50% refund of the £1039 purchase price for me to accept it as it is.

I found some more scrapes in the enamel coating.
87561ef02f5b768649746b2bcf5d4f14.jpg

eeb62c4d413f0bec236efacbe230b9e8.jpg

1cdda28b26a8ae9cf51c8a42cb9b7367.jpg

5b64b1ba1468e73bd547a95ef3001b0e.jpg

2ebab56c5fa3d46d04bc1eaaec94610a.jpg

I think that I’m now looking at about 50% refund of the £1039 purchase price for me to accept it as it is.
Minimum.

I wouldn’t accept it at all with that damage.
I find it odd that they’ve helped highlight the damaged areas with coins though.

It really was under a pallet of bricks!
Was the plastic wrapping damaged or was it wrapped after the scrapes?

Big picture they aren't going to want to take that back. That would cost them more than it costs to manufacture and they'd probably struggle to sell it on.

I reckon most of those abrasions would smooth out and you could then mask it up and spray over with a rattle can of automotive paint from Halfords.

When it's mounted you aren't going to be able see it up close anyway.

I'd be tempted to see how much of a discount/refund they'd give you and repair it.

Did you say some of the brackets / bolts were missing? they charge a fortune for replacements.

I'd want the missing bits replaced along with the 50% off

I wouldn’t accept it at all with that damage.
I find it odd that they’ve helped highlight the damaged areas with coins though.
I put the penny there to send the manufacturer the photos and so they could gauge the size of the scrapes.

I think that half price would be fair (£519 reduction). I can cover the scrapes with white electrical tape and we won't even notice there are there. We intend to move home in four years anyway, and unless a four metre awning would work with whatever home we buy, we'd include the awning with the sale of the house. Prospective purchasers are unlikely to notice the damage before making an offer.

Returning it, and reordering new, with a 4 week lead time would be a load of hassle.

For now I have had to resort to a gazebo for Jack's birthday tea with grandparents.

1617967340220.png

Did you say some of the brackets / bolts were missing? they charge a fortune for replacements.

I'd want the missing bits replaced along with the 50% off
Absolutely. The bolts and brackets need replacing and ~£500 off.

All I have done so far is send photos of the damage and report the missing bits. The ball is firmly in their court now.

It really was under a pallet of bricks!
Was the plastic wrapping damaged or was it wrapped after the scrapes?
It was in a plastic bag, and the plastic bag with polystyrene brackets. It was then in a long cardboard box with tough reinforced cardboard edgings, and thick chipboard wood rectangles.

I think that is was appropriately packed for transport.

On delivery, the cardboard box was in poor condition and open at one end. All the polystyrene brackets were broken. The strong reinforced cardboard edgings were twisted, deformed and broken. The wood was intact. The plastic bag had several scrape holes.

It seems the “loading error” given in the tracking data was when one person loaded the awning by dragging it along the ground.

519 quid isn't chicken feed though, you might
have a cock fight on your hands there.

Indeed.

They want to send the brackets and replacement end caps. That’s it! I know it’s not their fault, but not even an apology or acknowledgement of the inconvenience.

=====Quote=====

Good Afternoon

Thank you for forwarding the photographs most useful for us. In reply I can advise i have re-raised the order to send you the missing brackets and I am hoping to get those shipped today, I can send you a pair of replacement end caps if you would be happy to fit them your self and the same for the end caps for the front bar. I would send a replacement buy [but] that was the last stock item available and new stock as now been delayed to the 31st May, Let me know if you want the end caps sent.

I await your advice.

Kind Regards,
Philip

=====/Quote=====

Indeed.

They want to send the brackets and replacement end caps. That’s it! I know it’s not their fault, but not even an apology or acknowledgement of the inconvenience.

=====Quote=====

Good Afternoon

Thank you for forwarding the photographs most useful for us. In reply I can advise i have re-raised the order to send you the missing brackets and I am hoping to get those shipped today, I can send you a pair of replacement end caps if you would be happy to fit them your self and the same for the end caps for the front bar. I would send a replacement buy [but] that was the last stock item available and new stock as now been delayed to the 31st May, Let me know if you want the end caps sent.

I await your advice.

Kind Regards,
Philip

=====/Quote=====
Philip? Sh1t ...

Indeed.

=====Quote=====

Good Afternoon

I await your advice.

Kind Regards,
Philip

=====/Quote=====

Moving towards a satisfactory result then. What they are proposing and a little compensation should do it ?

Moving towards a satisfactory result then. What they are proposing and a little compensation should do it ?

Yes, I would have thought so. Most of the damage is to the two end caps and front bar end caps.

The whole awning is very unwieldy being so heavy, but switching end caps should be fairly straightforward.

For the damage: 20% refund (£216), replacement end caps and a refund of the postage (£39).

As the £216 refund includes 20% of the postage, I’m being refunded 120% of the postage cost. The overall value of refunds comes to 23.7% of the total paid.

Pics please when fitted.

Have you got someone putting it up for you? If thats a fully cantilevered one ie like the cali awning but no legs, the fixings should be substantial.
We've just done at work about that length outside a restored park pavilion & had to put steel spreaders inside the wall. Engineer thought that with a bit of wind load etc it could pull the the outer skin of brickwork down if it was just rawlbolted into that.

I have checked, once with a builder friend and also with my handyman.

The extension is 9” brick with lintel above the window. Apparently 9” is plenty and the erection is solid.

9409ac82873c4102a5eacefee3fb3785.jpg

Brackets bolted in place.

d90354e68b5ac360a27e74d0637f3a94.jpg

Awning wound in.

7335d69394f88c10a8e08d653e896c13.jpg

Awning extended.

4ad4a671ae26a5ecb034361ed3bee948.jpg

Random photo of two racially harmonious chickens.
Are you going to fit this one with an electric motor?

Back