Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pearl black owners experience......how bad are the scratches and swirls?

Poodlehat2222

Poodlehat2222

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
I really want a black Cali with red bellows .....My heart says yes but my head says no.
My current car is dark grey but is a weekend toy and not lived in like a Cali would be, so is easy to manage the paint condition.
I'm not worried about it getting dirty......I actually like washing and polishing my cars. Sad I know, but with a pair of headphones on, it's enjoyable.
Those of you who have a black Cali....how is the paint holding up with normal camper usage?

I do not like washing cars (detailing?). Our Cali picks up little scratches and shows my terrible attempts at cleaning very well, I’d think twice about going for pearlescent black again!

This was mine after 7 years & 65000 miles
No ceramic coating or protection.
Waxed properly by me once a year.
Washed by me every couple of months.
Only real scratches were by Kettering van centre when they washed it.
Just use a grid in the bottom of the washing bucket & keep the wash/drying cloths free of grit.

Would have been my first choice for the new van.IMG_2170.jpg

Last edited:
I owned a T6 in black, it made my OCD worse, Iv ordered my Cali in grey for that reason, I normally have all my cars black. Iv still got a black car but I did find because the van was bigger it was really difficult to clean & polish etc as it took twice as long to keep the paint up together. I actually ordered Black, then I thought I’m buying the vehicle to use it & enjoy I don’t won’t to fuss over it too much & I felt black vehicles have that effect.

374E1CB9-168E-4A44-9B21-67822ED1800D.jpeg

Can you come and do mine?
Drop in next time you are passing!

I have to be in the right mood to do it though & the right weather. I find it therapeutic.
I don't do fancy hard to clean wheels, 5 big spokes is enough or my 17" steels for winter. Roof very rarely gets done as I cant see it.
Its amazing how much difference a decent coat of wax makes though, an afternoon of waxing followed by a quick sealer means the water beads & the dirt washes off easily for months & months. Then its just a quick bucket with shampoo in it & dry with microfibre towels.

I’d add quality ceramic coating at c.£1200 to the price and enjoy the colour you want

I have a black. You definitely have to learn a little about taking care of the paint, if not a couple of careless washes can really spoil it. But once you do,, it’s no big deal, and when it’s clean, (which admittedly is not often), it looks stunning.
2FC67A20-1555-401C-B8D0-F66D471D1987.jpeg
2D8ADC6D-FBEF-4F50-B66D-621D59D939BC.jpeg

I have pearlescent black that I ordered from new. It is as you think, looks amazing when clean and quickly looks dirty. If you enjoy detailing definitely go for it. If that’s not your thing, then you can’t go wrong with a silver or grey.

That said, I don’t enjoy detailing and would probably get black again haha

9B6BE0D0-6173-4757-BDAD-7A5DF1542FE2.jpegDA3EFBEE-0DDE-470B-8483-DEA0D645B061.jpeg

We have T6 in black, my other half tells me that the swirls are bad in that colour and it annoys him during cleaning but I am not that aware! PXL_20210804_091909895.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

A neighbour of ours has a black T5 conversion and it looks like someone has used a machine to polish it. You can see the terrible swirling in the paintwork. I think the only way to sort it would be to do it section by section by hand. I have a Black motorbike and I have looked after it from new and always polished by hand. Beautiful when clean but awful when dirty.

Thanks for all your answers......I'm going to do it. Heart over head everytime.
Now......just need to convince the wife.

I really want a black Cali with red bellows .....My heart says yes but my head says no.
My current car is dark grey but is a weekend toy and not lived in like a Cali would be, so is easy to manage the paint condition.
I'm not worried about it getting dirty......I actually like washing and polishing my cars. Sad I know, but with a pair of headphones on, it's enjoyable.
Those of you who have a black Cali....how is the paint holding up with normal camper usage?
Listen to your head.

Black is very high maintenance and shows every mark and scratch. Unless you like constant washing and polishing then a black van will always look dirty.
Also the washing process needs to be extra particular otherwise it will quickly show a miriad of micro scratches.

My current car, which is being sold to make way for a Cali is dark grey, so I know the process of looking after the paint. It was more the additional wear and tear from camping I was worried about.

20210401_105737.jpg

I would also add that regardless of the colour, washing a Cali properly is a big job. Unlike your low slung F type, it will involve some form of step up or step ladder and will take rather longer to do. The net result is that you will almost certainly end up washing it less frequently. So that's another reason for avoiding black.

IMO lighter colours are better at not showing minor scratching and water marks etc.

I had a Pearl Black ex demo SE and it was a nightmare in our hard water area. I took to washing it only when it was raining. If I used tap water it had to be towelled of immediately otherwise the calcium marks were impossible to shift. Washing had to be using the two bucket method and grit guards in the buckets were essential. Yes it did look fantastic once cleaned but only for a nano second. Drive it anywhere and it rapidly looke grubby again

I still only tend to wash our current Candy White/Starlight Blue duo colour Cali when it rains as there's no need to towel off and rain water doesn't usually leave any residue. So the finnished van looks miles better.

I never ever wash it if there is any sunshine as it will dry too quickly leaving it looking awful.

I would also add that regardless of the colour, washing a Cali properly is a big job. Unlike your low slung F type, it will involve some form of step up or step ladder and will take rather longer to do. The net result is that you will almost certainly end up washing it less frequently. So that's another reason for avoiding black.

IMO lighter colours are better at not showing minor scratching and water marks etc.

I had a Pearl Black ex demo SE and it was a nightmare in our hard water area. I took to washing it only when it was raining. If I used tap water it had to be towelled of immediately otherwise the calcium marks were impossible to shift. Washing had to be using the two bucket method and grit guards in the buckets were essential. Yes it did look fantastic once cleaned but only for a nano second. Drive it anywhere and it rapidly looke grubby again

I still only tend to wash our current Candy White/Starlight Blue duo colour Cali when it rains as there's no need to towel off and rain water doesn't usually leave any residue. So the finnished van looks miles better.

I never ever wash it if there is any sunshine as it will dry too quickly leaving it looking awful.
The curse of hard water! I‘m building up quite a calcium pile in the roof channels.

It was more the additional wear and tear from camping I was worried about.

I’ve not noticed any paintwork issues from camping. Maybe scratches from tree branches when travelling down narrow lanes in Cornwall etc.

BTW The paint on most peoples 'lighter' coloured vans is still ruined, it's just more noticeable on black.

I'd say if your into cleaning/detailing go for it, if you can't be arsed, don't bother.

I forgot to say that since most micro scratch damage is probably done when washing it, then it stands to reason that the less you wash it the less micro scratching there should be. That's my theory at least. But when you do wash it do a thorough detailed wash and towel off.
Oh and never let anyone else wash it especially the dealer.

@Borris talks a lot of sense. Our starlight blue Beach is bad enough. Looks great clean but shows every mark. No hiding. And the Cali paint seems more fragile than my 8 year old golf. I’d try and go a lighter colour next time. Not that I will ever sell the beach now as I couldn’t afford a new one! I nearly bought a grape yellow ex demo. The family vetoed that. Wife said she didn’t fancy being spotted everywhere we go! I thought it looked ace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I agree the Starlight Blue is also a tricky colour. Only the bottom half is SB on our van which does make things a little easier.

It also helps to break up the washing process into four parts:
1. Jet wash everything, snow foam everything, and jet wash everything again.
2. Wash and clean wheels and tyres using a dedicated bucket and tools then jet wash off.
3. Double bucket wash the Candy White top half, jet wash off and towel dry.
4. Change the water and double bucket wash the Starlight Blue bottom half, jet wash off and towel dry.

Yes I agree the Starlight Blue is also a tricky colour. Only the bottom half is SB on our van which does make things a little easier.

It also helps to break up the washing process into four parts:
1. Jet wash everything, snow foam everything, and jet wash everything again.
2. Wash and clean wheels and tyres using a dedicated bucket and tools then jet wash off.
3. Double bucket wash the Candy White top half, jet wash off and towel dry.
4. Change the water and double bucket wash the Starlight Blue bottom half, jet wash off and towel dry.
Think you need a fifth item….. come back half an hour later and wipe the chalky runs from the door mirrors and the rear of the awning rail!

I've been using Autglym Ultra Deep shine for Dark colours on my blackberry with no swirl marks plus if there are any before polishing - gone afterwards.
Haven't moved on to ceramic polishes as yet.

I wouldn't. Owned a black VW Corrado SLC (hence my user name) and that was a total PITA to keep looking nice. If a vehicle is spending most of its time outdoors I will only have it in a colour that hide the dirt and dust as much as possible. Listen to your head and thank me later :)

I have pearlescent black that I ordered from new. It is as you think, looks amazing when clean and quickly looks dirty. If you enjoy detailing definitely go for it. If that’s not your thing, then you can’t go wrong with a silver or grey.

That said, I don’t enjoy detailing and would probably get black again haha

View attachment 82522View attachment 82523
love your van so much thank you for posting, i have. a black one on order (4motions ocean) due october and going to fit the goodrich all terrain tyres , can i beg of you to tell me the right size you fitted please , im getting 18 inch wheels so praying you have same :) Also ay i ask the name of the wheels they look amazing and does the white lettering come as standard or do you have to paint on ? Thank you so much cheers cannot wait to get mine waiting since january :)