Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Personal settings

jts46

jts46

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Could Admin make it compulsory for the vehicle details to be entered in the personal section please. And to be displayed below the avatar. It would save time and repeat questions as to "what vehicle do you have etc"
I realise i am sticking my head above the parapet with this request, but i for one am fed up with trying to answer a query when i don't know the vehicle type, year, etc

Agree , been debated in the past , it to me is also a thing of irratation.
But some end up up starting with "looking to buy" and never change it when Cali arrive .
Some don't fill in anything ....some even don't know what they got ...even more worrying:D
Think it's difficult , you can make it compulsory but in the the end they just fill in what they like .

I couldn't agree more...
maybe there could be a forms based "I have a technical issue" button that asks a few simple questions so we get a template post that has all this info at the top of the initial post??

As a techie, I have to spend some time on our helpdesk dealing with 3rd line issues and it can be quite frustrating being spoon fed basic information.

All good thoughts but the thing is you and me take the time and have the dicipline of doing (or try doing) everything by the book and giving the most possible correct info , resulting in swift and helpfull answers.
Some people just see this forum as a instand solution by just clicking the post button in a random topic ....someone will pick it up , the most think.
Doing a search , posting in the correct section on the forum and giving the most possible details are essential to start with .
Many end up on the forum while using Google when having issues on theire Cali , in the first 10 links there will be at least a few redirecting to the forum . So they become member and trow on theire problem out of the blue not knowing how we as daily users see the forum .

I cannot understand why new and some others don't spend the time to search past forum posts as almost every question has been answered before. As for not updating vehicles what can you do except request. Seems to be either lack of time or too busy for some.
The more they read the more they learn!

However the true helpers who post answers should be congratulated and given free membership of the Club.

Last edited:
What I find immensely annoying is when someone Posts a problem. The vehicle details are dragged out of them, a number of possible causes / solutions are given by members and then silence. So we don't know what the cause actually was or which solution worked. I find that very annoying.
Recently, there have been a number of posts about annoying rattles etc: lots of suggestions from members with possible causes and fixes and -------- total silence. So we are none the wiser.

Could Admin make it compulsory for the vehicle details to be entered in the personal section please. And to be displayed below the avatar. It would save time and repeat questions as to "what vehicle do you have etc"
I realise i am sticking my head above the parapet with this request, but i for one am fed up with trying to answer a query when i don't know the vehicle type, year, etc

Hi John,

The vehicle field is compulsory, this will only be for members that have joined within the last few years though when we changed over to the new forum software

This happens on all forums and is just a part of forum life, you need to remember that if people did not re-post the same questions this would just become a static information page, also replies are often different and strikes up a new debate

Sometimes when you do a search you can get overwhelmed with the hits. Imagine a newcomer looking for information on roof corrosion and having to trawl through hundreds of posts! So easier to ask a new question!

I can see both sides, it is annoying when people ask the same questions, such as what are the little rubber things off the parcel shelf, but as @Victor says there would be no new posts if people didn’t ask the same questions.

What I find more annoying is when people start new threads on something that already has been long established. There are two “View from” threads running at the same time, for instance. I guess they could be integrated but that means more, probably thankless, work for the mods.

All in all though, nothing is perfect and we should be grateful for a great forum! :thumb

My own view:

The "search" function can be very useful but at times lead to a bewildering array of choices, especially if you are new to the forum. It can be highly laborious and frustrating to keep going back for another try when a hit does not produce the desired result.

What makes this forum so lovely, in my past experience, is that when a problem arises the support given to a "cry for help" is superb. So many knowledgeable members willing to share their knowledge.

Long may it continue for that is often the breath of fresh air that hits the forum. Yes, please try and use the search function but also please do not be afraid to cry help: that's what we are here for. I would hate it if people new to the forum saw, at their first glance, hostility being expressed to others just because they dared cry help on a subject that to us "oldies" has been asked many times before.