Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pic request of seat belt mounting

apatchee

apatchee

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi,

I’m trying to figure out how to fit a three point harness in the back of my early California as currently it only has a lap belt.

Has anyone with a later California post some pics where the seatbelt mounts?
I know it disappears through the top cupboard but want the see how it’s connected to the bodywork.

Also the lower mount where is that connected?

Thanks

I have this if it helps. Only the bench seat mounts.

E302F6D4-C5C3-4D95-9BBB-0D2F963A60D9.jpeg

Thanks,

• So the top park fastens near the tail gate hinges?
  • Where do the other two parts secure? Onto body work or seat itself?

There seems to be loads of post talking about doing this but non where someone has actually fitted a 3 point harness on the fridge side in a early Westy.

I’m not sure what you mean by “three point harness”.

The top mounts are inside the bodywork on the outer extremities of the cupboard across the rear. It’s impossible to see exactly without removing the cupboard.

The lower parts are bolted to the seat base.

Ps. I’m awaiting a CD-ROM from Bentley Publishers of the official VW workshop manual for the Westy camper so when it arrives I can post some diagrams hopefully.

Any day now......

Just to add in to what Sidepod has already said. The belt comes out from the top cupboard, unfortunately it is covered in a small box and completely inaccessible without dismantling the top cupboard. Hopefully Sidepod's Bentley manual will have drawings of this area. I took this photo, but it doesn't show much:

IMG_20180620_175127186.jpg

Then at the other end, the belt has two buckles:

IMG_20180620_175036631.jpg

The lower buckle clips into the clip you can see between the seat cushions and forms the second of the three mounting points.

IMG_20180620_175019381.jpg

Then the higher of the two buckles reaches across and clips into the central clip as per normal.

As you can see in Sidepod's picture the two seat mounted clips are directly bolted to the seat frame.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the pics chaps.
There is a seat belt mount in the top of the wardrobe above the side window which I may try to use.

So today I was sorting out the van ready for an upcoming trip when I made a bit of a discovery. Despite common perception being that the top reel for the Seatbelt was mounted on the bulkhead running across the back of the van, something didn't ring right. Looking at the small gap at the back of the grey box, I couldn't see any evidence of the seat belt reel being mounted to the back bulkhead. That left the roof as the only place that it could be mounted to. Scrabbling around in the back I discovered this plate:

IMG_20180624_110337169.jpg

So it does look like that my seatbelt at least is mounted to the roof of the van. It would be in interesting if someone else could also have a look and see if they too have a similar plate at the back of their roof. Here's another shot from further away to provide some context.

IMG_20180624_110350549.jpg

So there we go, without removing the box in the cupboard, I cant say for certain, but I'm pretty certain that this is the top mount for the back seatbelt.

Blimey. I was thinking about this also. I just assumed it would pick up a similar mount as the right hand side once it passed through the box.

I’ll check my roof after England finish thumping Panama!

So today I was sorting out the van ready for an upcoming trip when I made a bit of a discovery. Despite common perception being that the top reel for the Seatbelt was mounted on the bulkhead running across the back of the van, something didn't ring right. Looking at the small gap at the back of the grey box, I couldn't see any evidence of the seat belt reel being mounted to the back bulkhead. That left the roof as the only place that it could be mounted to. Scrabbling around in the back I discovered this plate:

View attachment 34712

So it does look like that my seatbelt at least is mounted to the roof of the van. It would be in interesting if someone else could also have a look and see if they too have a similar plate at the back of their roof. Here's another shot from further away to provide some context.

View attachment 34713

So there we go, without removing the box in the cupboard, I cant say for certain, but I'm pretty certain that this is the top mount for the back seatbelt.

Yup. That’s the can see it on the diagram here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can lay claim to having actually fitted one in the style of the later T4s to my 1993 California (or the US badged Eurovan CV). It's a bit of a pain, and I felt it was a bit under-specced by VW, although I guess they must have crash tested it?

Just fyi, it's been discussed before: https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/replace-lapbelt-with-3-point-seat-belt-south-west.5145/

Here are pics from an original:

seatbelt 3.JPG

My kit came from https://www.quickfitsbs.com and looks like the VW diagram above. I made my own strengthening plate as seen below (ignore the superglue, I didn't stick it on!) but mine extended further down (hence the lip towards the bottom of the pic) and tied into the rear top crossmember where I've circled. In the second pic you can see where I drilled rather than riveted in the rear rail, again circled, (the bolts went through and into the silver nuts on the strengthening plate)
20140501_152845.jpg

Seatbelt 6.jpg

I also fitted Isofix to the seat base (when my kids were young, they're now 9 & 11...) - detailed 'how to' on here https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=198702

seatbelt 5.JPG

Excellent intel guys, thanks for the pictures.

I’m in the process now of sourcing a steel plate and seat belt, to finally get it sorted

Back