Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Confessions of a Beach deserter

Romke

Making the Most of our Coast
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Coast 150 4Motion
After 300 nights and 65.000 km in our two completely different Californias we’d like to share our experiences with fellow Cali-fans.

A short intro. We are an Anglo-Dutch couple of 65 and 70. We abandoned our native countries over 30 years ago and never looked back, enjoying a happy and quiet life in rural France. In the nineties and early noughties we travelled a lot. We spent many winter months in our Defender playing in the Sahara sands (mostly Mauritania) and visiting countries that are now out of bounds, such as Libya and Mali. When not in the desert we travelled across Europe, from Wales to Greece, from Lapland to Sicily. After a seven year travel break we decided to hit the road again and bought our first California in 2014, a Beach called Betsy. Three years later we traded her in for a Coast, appropriately called Betsy 2.0. What made us take those decisions?

FEzi7rb1ct0CgRpjQ6aTlH_XlpRwMI7xa9IyJlHiMmgVdowONt_hydr64qmT7EZlPggFZxU3R-EcoeoK0z47iSujAccsPUsBKoC1aYjzhacApQXFUgkMq-1NZEm8m65KPyJk3teYzHaP5yLSTrwTRg_oeBVCFoA4hLWH4n3tOGKylQi4k3NeZkh7dI70tcj2s8LGuRLUjGIZSEUQnW5F5XczAqoiPOgssg_fssV-pO8Odambejxowpxiq4zjmMrgiHDJrNMs3jkjF7qTF6BhSrtGggC99lUOI2fjbpv3IMkKbX22KM5rYngfjzplZ8RzQwkNarOcTMv4ZMKw0U2AYQhW3hbnfzErGnm2-2t5sU1HLC7gap99sqZ5082ih0vx6SGiV9c_7WhNQyFWBbvp5D4AxRUSqJNtI6yFQGKrRdOVT-c3UdSnIU5Y9Do06Bn0F7SGuG7hNeq0UH1BobY_XacaqpeoaRHS1WJ9rM6Le1nqRZzLSvnE_03t3uTL4TcigtGyZaTQIc2BxmtXfHy7pAyyjPORC_mE51jg9iivgFHK4e9soXx-xK0p7oVH1HMrprpcM8sLO7AuCpEpcdaOKUpy6Zpk_uEMq9GdAghLZT4SNmGRBs-T2uPzsAJOkcDLXCqKQ1doprWPq7KQeDtLZ7xsBnSRy3nb=w1200-h960-no

Top: Betsy the Beach. Bottom: Betsy 2.0 the Coast. Both are Californias but totally different!

Our Beach was the bog standard version (140, manual, 2WD) with the parking heater and awning as the main extras. We chose the Beach because it came as close as possible to “real” camping. We didn’t anticipate indoor cooking, so we built our custom pull-out cooking and storage system, using drawers made with crates (see How we dressed up Betsy if you’re looking for ideas about kitting out your Beach). That worked fine - as long as the weather was clement. Soon we found out that off-season camping could be a pain, being forced to go around the back of the van to extricate anything that didn’t fit in the tiny drawers under the 3-seat bench. And cooking outside was impossible in strong winds, pouring rain and near-freezing temperatures.

Did we buy the wrong Beach? Probably. Since we hardly ever have passengers (and never cover long distances if we do) we would have been better off with the 2-seater Beach. This version would have given us more storage space inside (the floor-mounted storage units use the same floor space as the wardrobe/kitchen unit in the Ocean and Coast) plus the large drawer under the bench. And we would still have had the same 150cm wide bed. Other advantages of the 2-seater bed over the 3-seater version is that the bed is lower, so you can sit up in it, even when the roof is down, and the bed is flatter, so you can have a less thick mattress, taking up a lot less space.

And then came the Coast. After 2 years we decided to say farewell to our Beach and switch to a more comfortable California which would allow us to do everything inside, including the cooking. By then VW had introduced the Coast which you can see either as a “poor man’s Ocean” or an “Ocean without the nonsense”. The waiting time was nearly a year, so when the new van arrived we looked back at 3 years, 210 nights and 45.000km in our Beach.

Our Coast is the French version, which differs from the same model in most European countries in that it comes with an electric roof and parking heater as standard features. Both were a must for us; the electric roof because my wife (who is shorter than me and doesn’t have a lot of strength in her arms) had great difficulty pulling the roof down in our Beach; the parking heater because we use our Cali all year round. In addition we took the awning, and the radio/media player that lets us connect our mobile phone to the dashboard screen, via App Connect. The other main features were 4Motion combined with the DSG7, a choice we’ve never regretted.

It took us a while to get used to the much narrower bed (from 150cm in the Beach to 114cm in the Coast makes a big difference), I admit there were (and sometimes still are) some territorial disputes but overall we manage and sleep extremely well in our Cali. (We never sleep upstairs.)

The main reason for choosing the Coast was to have all the kit we need inside the van, plus the ability to cook inside when the weather isn’t very friendly. We aren’t afraid of cooking odours, so we have our B&E in the morning and our curries and steaks in the evening, all cooked indoors. That said, we also have a Cadac which we use for cooking outdoors whenever we can.

Also very important for us that we have water on board, so we can wash ourselves and brush our teeth without leaving the van.

It’s really amazing how much clever storage space the Coast/Ocean has. Since we’re only the two of us, we can carry a week’s clothing, shoes and heavy coats onboard, and still have space for all our cooking and eating gear.

Everything that we don’t need on a daily basis lives in the back of the van, in Euro crates resting on the (now very popular) boot drawer.

We’re now 18 months down the road in our Coast, with 20,000km and nearly 100 nights camping behind us. Wherever we can we camp “wild”, except when we spend a month in Spain in January/February every year. In view of our age we don’t do long international journeys anymore. Fortunately we live in France, a big country where there’s enough beauty to discover in the years that we (hopefully) still have left.

We had great fun with our Beach but have no regrets that we switched to our Coast!

Great stuff !
Hopefully we can also still enjoy campervan life when retired , unfortunate thats not in the first 15-20y .
We try and get the best out of our SE and don't see me having a Beach or other campervan without some basic gear as standard .
But as always , all personal preference.
Counting the days until the begin of april when we head to France again....

Interesting thread. One thing it shows is that there is much more choice when ordering a Cali on the continent. Unlike here in Blighty, it's almost possible to spec exactly which options you'd like to create your perfect Cali.

The other thing it demonstrates is how owners develop/refine their requirements as they proceed to newer vehicles. We currently have a seven seater manual Beach having previously owned an SE 180 dsg 4motion. Both versions are simply superb in what they offer but as Romke has said, they are completely different. Having owned them both at the same time one ended up getting under used so a decision had to be made. Our current circumstances are such that the Beach makes more sense to us so unfortunately the SE had to go. I'm affraid that for us we found the SE sub optimal in some respects:
1. We never did use the water tanks. We preferred bottled water instead.
2. We found the sink too small to be of any real practical use.
3. The fridge was annoying in that everything had to be regularly removed from the lid/worktop to get anything out.
4. Never did find a use for the so called "Safe".
5. I found the wardrobe to be an awkward space to use so ended up just stuffing the bedding in there.
6. Whilst the SE downstairs bed was fine we much prefer the larger bed Beach bed.
7. We did sometimes cook in our SE but much prefer to do that outside. Anyway, for us, if it's raining there's always the pub. We also sometimes cook in our Beach.

Now before anyone feels to need to defend the SE/Ocean, don't. It's a spendid vehicle and we may have another one if or when our circs change. I'm merely stating our reasons for going from SE to Beach.

Nice honest post Romke.
I had a 3 seater beach for 5 years and loved it.
Last year we changed for an Ocean.
We have found ourselves better organised in the Ocean and camping overall is easier.
We miss the large downstairs bed and manual roof. But other than that, we feel the Ocean was the right change for our circumstances at present.

Brilliant post! Thanks for sharing your wisdom :thumb

That is a great post Romke and I would agree on the beach too, I always thought I would have been better with a 2 seat beach. Ultimately I decided I didnt want to wait and bought the demo 3 seat that was ready to go.

I also would love a Coast I will admit, I see it like you as an Ocean without all the fancy parts to go wrong, most important for me the manual roof.

In the summer and in nice weather the beach is amazing, its a real outdoor experience. In the poor weather the beach becomes a bedroom and we go to the pub for dinner :)

We're lucky to have the choice, although it would be nice to get the Coast in the UK as it looks like a really good option.

If we didn't have the kids I could see an Ocean / Coast being perfect but as we have two kids I find the 7 seater Beach is super versatile as we can sleep 4 in it, transport the whole family plus 3 friends or put the bikes on the back and the van makes a handy changing space with the roof up and the blinds down.

If only they were cheaper I'd have one of each :)