Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Picos de Europa campsites

briwy

briwy

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Has anyone got any recommendations for sites in the Picos please.
Searching on the net brings up a few big sites but ideally we are after something smaller right in the mountains so that we can leave the van and go walking, possibly having a night or two in the refuges.

Thanks
Brian

It's all quite small compared to the Alps.....particularly the Italian into Austrian Alps.....nice though.....I free camped and was ok ish.....nothing to write home about

I would strongly recommend two campsites we used two years ago;

Campsite El Redondo, Fuente De

Camping La Viorna, Potes

Googling will tell all. Fuente De is literally surrounded by mountains with a cable car to give a head start. Awe inspiring location. The campsite is basic but really, so what! Lovely bar.

Potes is a small town with charm. The campsite has excellent facilities and ring terraced on the hillside, it's not difficult to get a pitch with superb views.

We had an excellent time!

Thanks for the replies.
I wasn't aware that wild camping would be an option, thought it might be frowned on in national park.

La Paz is very nearby on the coast; stunning views of the sea and mountains. We loved it and will be back in August!

As recommended we stayed at El Redondo at Fuente De, what a magic location and five minutes walk from the cable car.

0T7A7582small_zpsaef0c910.jpg

Stunning scenery, a lot of snow left, not possible to get to some of the huts without winter gear.

P1170460small_zpsa0b4b64f.jpg

We came across a site at Riano by chance, the view from the van

0T7A7715small_zps22f86c40.jpg

0T7A7718small_zps05484f4a.jpg

We were hoping to wild camp near the Cares Gorge on the western side and had found a good spot when the the Guardia turned up and made it very plain that wild camping inside the national park is a no no so we ended up at Camping Naranjo De Bulnes near Arenas
This means driving back about 6 miles to Poncebos for the start of the 13 mile walk up the gorge to Cain and back.
Well worth it.

P1170630small_zpsaebb0a9d.jpg

P1170622small_zps52c150fe.jpg

Back